For those who like to browse ads...

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Window shoppers of HHO, I have a mission for you.

It's looking like Grace will probably be out of action for 2 months at least and I'm already getting twitchy. With my last horse being on box rest for most of last summer, then coronavirus, I feel like I've barely ridden at all this past year.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a third for a little while now, something that I can bring on with a view to selling in around a year or so's time (or potentially keep if it's a nice enough sort).

So the criteria is this:
• 16hh+
• Ideally under 5 but I'll consider anything 10 and under
• Nothing too heavy, doesn't have to be super flash or sporty but no maxi cobs/pure draught types
• Ideally under £1000, can stretch a little though
• Broken or unbroken, really not fussed

I'm not fussy about temperament (not psychotic mind), breed, colour ect. Just a nice horse to bring on.

Obviously all the other normal, not on 3 legs, hasn't killed/maimed anyone recently type thing too, but doubt that will be broadcast in an ad anyway.

I'm asking here as the extent of my horse shopping knowledge is typing into Google 'Thoroughbreds for sale' and picking the soundest one I can find. I'm not opposed to a TB but do think I might cause my poor mother to have a heart attack if I bring another one home! Another Thoroughbred is definitely not off the cards though... ?

As always thanks in advance. Happy horse hunting

Last edited:

EquestrianE01

Visit site
for that budget I think you will struggle even with a TB and you have zero chance of finding anything else I'm afraid. Horse prices are through the roof. Even with 6k I cant find anything and have given up looking.

Having had a look now I see what you mean! What's happened?! I bought Grace around 6 months ago for £500

EventingMum

Visit site
Horse prices have gone crazy just now. I'm currently horse hunting, I have upped my budget considerably but in the last 2 weeks I have had one fail the vet and 1 I agreed to buy, subject to vetting only to get home from the 5 hour round journey from viewing for the seller to message saying she had decided not to sell. Another 8 I have enquired about have been sold with a day of advertising. Finally, I found one yesterday and he's getting vetted this week, fingers crossed all is ok as I've found it all very stressful! Up here, you have to move very quickly to have any chance of buying at the moment.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
You'll be lucky to find anything. You might find a 2yo going through a fugly stage with non descript breeding. Or maybe an ex brood mare I suppose.

What sort of location are you looking in?

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies. I honestly didn't realise it had gone so bonkers!

I've found a couple of nice looking mares that I'm going to see tomorrow.

Horse prices have gone crazy just now. I'm currently horse hunting, I have upped my budget considerably but in the last 2 weeks I have had one fail the vet and 1 I agreed to buy, subject to vetting only to get home from the 5 hour round journey from viewing for the seller to message saying she had decided not to sell. Another 8 I have enquired about have been sold with a day of advertising. Finally, I found one yesterday and he's getting vetted this week, fingers crossed all is ok as I've found it all very stressful! Up here, you have to move very quickly to have any chance of buying at the moment.

Good luck with the vetting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you ?

You'll be lucky to find anything. You might find a 2yo going through a fugly stage with non descript breeding. Or maybe an ex brood mare I suppose.

What sort of location are you looking in?

Anywhere in the UK really. I did manage find a lovely one in Germany that is very above budget, but not totally unfeasible once you've added in transport costs. Having to really sit on my hands not to send them a message

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
where in the country are you as that will make a difference to prices although they all seem to be sky high at the moment. i think you will need to up your budget to at least £1500 to even get an ex racer

EquestrianE01

Visit site
where in the country are you as that will make a difference to prices although they all seem to be sky high at the moment. i think you will need to up your budget to at least £1500 to even get an ex racer

I'm happy to look anywhere, definitely not restricting myself to a specific area. My only worry with upping the budget is that if prices fall back to what they were, £1500 was fairly standard for a nice up and running ex racer, let alone a project! Maybe with the current market it's not the time for a little project...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have looked on preloved and have found 1......most of the cheaper ones are quite small. this one is 16.1 tb mare 4yrs £900 o.v.n.o. sorry not savvy enough to post the link but she is in misson, nottinghamshire so you should be able to find the ad..

EquestrianE01

Visit site
I quick look on Horsequest reveals young common and poorly conformed 15h ish at 4k. Bigger, just as common and uneducated is 7k.

All you need to do is wait until November, there will be plenty of horses looking for homes and if you wait until January 2021 they will be giving horses away.

Yes sadly that was what I seemed to find aswell.
Thank you for looking though.

i have looked on preloved and have found 1......most of the cheaper ones are quite small. this one is 16.1 tb mare 4yrs £900 o.v.n.o. sorry not savvy enough to post the link but she is in misson, nottinghamshire so you should be able to find the ad..

That's one of the mares I'm off to see tomorrow. It's a bit of a drive from me, but there's two in a similar area so thought they might be worth a look.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Good luck!

I'd contemplated getting a 'proper' horse, then saw the prices and decided to dig out Titch and crack on with his education (he's only eight, loadsa time left ?).

Fleetingly contemplated selling Titch and using the proceeds to buy a bigger beastie. Worried he might end up a casualty of the current insanity and end up for sale again come Christmas. I love him but he's never going to be an earth mover.

Good luck on your search lass.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Good luck!

I'd contemplated getting a 'proper' horse, then saw the prices and decided to dig out Titch and crack on with his education (he's only eight, loadsa time left ?).

Fleetingly contemplated selling Titch and using the proceeds to buy a bigger beastie. Worried he might end up a casualty of the current insanity and end up for sale again come Christmas. I love him but he's never going to be an earth mover.

Good luck on your search lass.

I saw an new ad on DD on Friday, the sort of horse I like, at a not ridiculous price. I mulled it over - do we really want a 3rd, we are meant to have cut down, ah yes but....? type of thoughts. Had another look on Saturday morning and the ad has disappeared! That settled it for me (on this occasion). I do like to keep my eye on what's going on though;). Like AA, I think there will be a glut of horses - and dogs - by November.