For those with an Interest in Irish Bred horses

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Pleasure. They do so much to promote their breeding & always try to give recognition to stallion & breeder. I have seen many posts asking about Irish bred horses that I thought it might help.

Halfstep

Visit site
Just to say - don't romanticise the Irish breeding industry. Sure, its better than the British, but it has its problems too. For example, so much emphasis was put on the Irish Sports Horse that the purebred ID breed was allowed to dwindle There are precious few pure IDs around today, sadly.
In the early days the grading wasn't very strict - a lot of iffy stallions got in.
Having said that - Clover Hill probably wouldn't be graded if he was presented today!
There are a few sons of King of Diamonds who got in primarily on the basis of their sire; there is one in particular which I would never use (both on conformation and temperament).

But they do a good job in promoting Irish breeding and have been very successful. That success I think comes from having an umbrella organisation in change of it all (rather like the KWPN). One of the biggest issues facing Britain seems to be the disparate possible places where a stallion can be graded, and they all have their own criteria and standards. Good marketing will always be difficult in such conditions.

x

Jemayni

Visit site
Well said. Do you think people "romanticise" Irish breeding though? I have little interest in British breeding, and I have never ridden (for more than a one off) an english bred horse. Purely because I have had no exposure to them, I dont really follow any english lines! This doesnt mean I romanticise Irish breeding, Irish bred horses just happens to be where my interests lie!

Halfstep

Visit site
Well, perhaps "romanticise" was too strong, but I think that sometimes people only see what is good and ignore the problems.

Having said that I do think the IHB has done a fantastic job and there is a lot that could be learned from it over here.