For those with Welsh Sec D's.

cblover

Visit site
I have a part bred (pic below) and I'd like to know more about the breed. Until I bought her in March I'd not had much experience of the breed. I'm rapidly discovering how clever and smart she is. She's the sweetest, friendliest mare I've ever met but she has a sensitive side that I need to understand more. If anyone would share their experiences, I'd be grateful. Here she is.....she's 4 yrs old and around 15hh, maybe a smudge bigger. To me she's built like an old fashioned sec D although she's not a pure bred.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank is 23, I've had him since 11. He is pretty level headed for a D though more sensitive than he perhaps looks. Done everything in his day though always had a rather nasty stop- partly because I just didn't ride well enough though tbh! Overall a good bean, up for anything and patient about dressing up ;)
Still a spooky **** at times though. Anything than could actually kill him is fine of course, just a misplaced bench that he already passed going the other way, a leaf out of place etc that sort of thing. If you want a quiet life you hack him down the A38 in our village past the pubs and the car wash, he doesn't spook if there is traffic.

He would be deemed fairly old fashioned, he very much fits into a square box, not masses of bone though - yours looks to have some influence increasing hers too ;)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If you want a quiet life you hack him down the A38 in our village past the pubs and the car wash, he doesn't spook if there is traffic.

Hahaha this is mine too. :lol: i should take her out on the dual carriageway next time I decide to brave solo hacking ,lol

I know nothing about the breed really, have had mine just over 2 years and fell into it by accident when offered a freebie. She's the pink one in my sig. 14 hands of weird. She's an odd mix of stroppy but keen to learn, with a dose of anxious hysteria thrown in. Quick witted, athletic, needy. Someone said on here once that Welsh cobs have a strongly developed sense of what they perceive to be fair, and that's mine to a t. I love her to bits.

I had a part bred years ago that was similar, different lines but same mix of quirky and studious ;)

OWLIE185

Visit site
We were very fortunate in owning a Traditional Welsh Section D Cob for 14 years.
We got her as a 15 year old and she was totally 100% safe. You could put anyone on her and let them take her out by themselves and she would always bring them back with a smile on their face.
She was 100% traffic Proof and Spookproof in all situations.
She was lovely in all respects and we still very much miss her.

southerncomfort

Visit site
She's lovely! :)

I have a welsh cob and a welsh cob X (know idea what she is crossed with).

My welsh cob is my world. Absolutely adore her. She is completely traffic proof, can ride her in wide open spaces, on her own or with company. She is extremely affectionate and willing to please. She will stand with her head in my arms for ages and appears to like me kissing her beautiful soft muzzle. She can however, be extremely grumpy sometimes and very quirky. She can hack past a convoy of lorries and then turn herself inside out over a rock. She tries ever so hard not to be a scaredy cat, to the point sometimes I can tell she is holding her breath whilst mincing her way past something she doesn't like with her ears up my nose. I can't lunge or long rein her because it just makes her ridiculously anxious. I'm sure she sees it as some kind of cruel punishment.

She is lovely to ride because she is so solid, you can gently wrap your legs around her big belly and feel really safe and secure. She happily gives pony rides to my youngest daughter and my nephew and would be mortified if she ever did anything to hurt any of her humans. She is just utterly adorable.

IMAG0116_zpsb693c3f3.jpg

The cob X however, is a total PITA! She can be a pain to catch, breaks the fencing constantly, is stroppy and angry and opinionated (she literally stomps up and down the field if she is annoyed about something!) and has a hell of a spook in her. She is however, very pretty and does like a bit of a cuddle and a fuss.

Annagain

Visit site
I've written lots about my old boy so do a search of my posts for any with "section D" in the title. I got him when we were both 13 and lost him 6 weeks short of his 27th birthday, 3 days before mine. This was him at 25 doing the Badminton Fun ride. I was a bit tall for him by the end but he was going nowhere.

a3042761-7f34-492c-8367-d8880cd64ce3_zpsurie7xja.jpg

He was the most arrogant, bolshy, opinionated, rude, stubborn, stupidly excitable horse with enough attitude to sink a battleship. He spent more time on 2 legs than 4, but never lost control, he'd just be so excited that if he couldn't go forward he'd have to go somewhere and that was up!

He was also brave, honest, unflappable, talented, loyal, and the most trustworthy horse I've ever known. I had total trust in him to get me to the other side of a fence in a way I've never had with another horse. He wasn't at all spooky, nothing frightened him and despite getting very excited would start and stop exactly when you wanted him to. I never fell off him because of anything he did, we just had stupid freak accidents where we'd both end up on the floor or I'd get knocked off him by my friend who thought her horse would stop when she got to us...she didn't!

He was very marmite and the feeling was mutual. My best friend hated him, he knew it and returned the sentiment with interest. He'd literally go on strike if she sat on him and would give her the runaround on the ground so badly she refused to deal with him.

His attitude doubled if there was a man around, especially if they had a very macho attitude to him, he would take on anything he saw as a challenge! My 17st rugby playing OH (in the early days trying to impress me) decided he would be strong enough not to be dragged around the yard when he was being particularly rude one day. He lasted about 30 seconds of concrete skiing before ending up on his backside! My farrier learned how to deal with him. He rarely saw the vet but when he had to, the vet had to phone us from the bottom of the lane so we could blindfold him before the vet got there! I also had a friend who suffered with depression and he was so gentle and quiet with her, even I didn't believe it at first!

If you get yours on your side, you won't find a better horse in your life.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks, it's great reading all about them. I'm quite in awe of her beauty, I really could look at her all day. I think the clydesdale part of her is the bit that likes all the snuggles, kisses and pampering. It's the welsh side of her that's the clever and smart side I think. Lol

She seems enthusiastic to learn but anxious at the same time and I can hear her gulping sometimes. It seems you can easily overload her and she can over react (don't suppose that comes as a surprise). I think we're both recovering from her recent trailer accident and it's taking a bit of time to regain our confidence in each other. I truly like the horse she is but I just know she's going to be testing too.

Clannad48

Visit site
We have a Welsh Section D mare - 25 years old )we have had her since she was 15 - she is one of those been there done that type, she was originally just a jumping pony but we got into dressage with her and she excelled. She is now, for want a a better term a 'field ornament,' she will live out her days with us no matter what. When younger she taught my daughter more than any instructor could - if you didn't use the right aids or handle her properly she just stood stock still. As a typical Section D she has what is loosely termed 'character', she is loved by everyone, has been ridden by children, total novices, experienced riders and they all find her wonderful.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a welsh d x TB I bred myself and she is brave but very distant, doesn't want attention at all, my full d gelding on the other hand is scared of everything especially his own shadow but is very affectionate. He is lovely to handle and a real gentleman but he is not the easiest to ride. I love him dearly and will never part with him but I wouldn't buy another d.

soulfull

Visit site
I've had several pure beds and one crossed with TB.
They can be very loving, loyal a d honest. But then they can be comp,etely opposite!
All depends on the or breeding and upbringing.

They need firm boundaries, not just to keep them in check but also they are a lot happier and more secure.
They have an amazing sense of fairness, so if you make a mistake and over correct her say sorry!

Some are just plain a pain.

Watch out for the 6th year, 99% of the time they turn into 'kevin' on the first of January, then come the first the next year they get better (if they Re going too)

You always need to be one step ahead of them

But all the ones I've had have been fabulous fun cheeky horses but not for the faint hearted.
I know of several VERY Experienced people that would never buy one because they don't want to have to deal with their intelligent fast brain (their wOrds not mine)

Biggest most important thing is always always be consistent

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The trouble is despite firm boundaries, they still try, just to check. And then you have to have the look, you have not been allowed to snatch at grass while leading for the last 11 years, why would it be ok now? I can usually read him very well now but he is excellent at showing up the most experienced of horse people (my YO lunged him while I was away and he promptly dragged her to the grass, she's had several trained to PSG :p, I put a pro, ridden at advanced a lot, on to try XC on him as he has always napped at the start (in part probably to girlfriend) came straight out the box, stayed straight, died two strides out- he didn't do it again mind you)

Another that has given pony rides to many a smallie though, we have an over 50s caravan park along one side of the field, they come with grandkids ;).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I had one a few years ago, 16h so large for the breed. Travallion Ap Comet x Pantcyngorian Eyrlis (Parc Welsh Flyer)

The stud he came from sold oats and I went to them to buy corn for the hunters one Saturday morning, somehow I bought a colt foal too.

27 years of fun, mad as a box of frogs, kind, brave and very quick. Frightened the bejesus out of me but never hurt me, got me wet and dirty a few times out hunting. He always travelled badly due to extreme excitement which made him a hard keeper, by the end of the season he would always be very light.

He would jump anything, including wire. He made me very proud at the Counties one year when he was on the team for inter hunt relay with the whip on board. The other 3 in the team were large and rather expensive beasts who all made a dogs dinner of the course. Bones went in and sped round clear. He had never jumped other than out hunting. I miss Bones but would never have another Welsh Cob.

taraj

Visit site
They need firm boundaries, not just to keep them in check but also they are a lot happier and more secure.
They have an amazing sense of fairness, so if you make a mistake and over correct her say sorry!

Watch out for the 6th year, 99% of the time they turn into 'kevin' on the first of January, then come the first the next year they get better (if they Re going too)

But all the ones I've had have been fabulous fun cheeky horses but not for the faint hearted.
I know of several VERY Experienced people that would never buy one because they don't want to have to deal with their intelligent fast brain (their wOrds not mine)

Biggest most important thing is always always be consistent[/QUOTE]

I have a pure bred d and part bred (welsh x warmblood), I think this sums them up! Totally agree with the 6 year old strop, I always tell anyone that buys a D youngster to watch out for this!

SpringArising

Visit site
I had a full Sec D.

Biggest pain in the arse of a pony I've ever had, but also the most sensitive, clever, and willing to please.

I bought him just after he'd been backed so had him through the naughty teenager stage of his life. I sold him after a few years with him when I decided I wanted a break from horses for a while and I'm still in touch with the new owners. They say he's fantastic and has mellowed out a lot but still tries to take off broncing.

I would have another in a heartbeat but they are hard work if you get a hot one.

blodwyn1

Visit site
I would not have any other breed! Mind you the three I have now are very different in type and temperament! My first d mare had very old bloodlines and was actually a FS2 mare. She was as safe as could be, but after having an operation at the vets she decided that travelling was a bad idea and afterwards had to be hacked everywhere! I used to hack her 14 miles to the Essex county show and then show her in hand! One year we were followed down the road by the police motorbike team in v formation and she never turned a hair! My other 3 are still with me at 18,17 and 9. They vary from totally unflappable to hysterical at the sight of a haynet in the dark! They are now very variable as a breed and those bred for in hand success are not always the best under saddle.

cblover

Visit site
I think it's safe to say I've got a character on my hands. I know her history and who bred her and her extended family but she isn't registered. Not that it matters to me.

I backed lulu this spring but haven't managed much after that. Workload, poorly best friend, own illness and questionable motivation at time has lead to a quiet time with her. She's not bothered, being only 4 I think I've got plenty time. I'm working on loading her again with a friend who is helping. She can disagree with ours ideas I can tell you.....although you'd think butter wouldn't melt!! Lol

LHIS

Visit site
She's gorgeous, with a really intelligent look to her, lovely girl.

I have a PB Welsh too, his dam was Welsh D x ID, sire a gypsy cob. He's got more personality than some people I know, and surprises me every day. He's intelligent, gentle, stubborn, fun, brave, curious, and a cuddle monster. We've had a slow start, but he hasn't suffered for it and he's been wonderful, taking everything in his stride. He's spooky, but not dangerous. He's taught me so much and I'm a better rider for it (with a long way to go still).

cblover

Visit site
I've a long way to go too. I'm trying to listen to her and I'm learning all the time. I've decided to totally take the pressure off this winter, pressure off myself that is, and just enjoy being with her. I've ridden for 25 years almost daily until a couple of years ago when I was dumped on the road and broke my back. Since then I've not ridden much and part of me doubts I ever will, but you never know what next spring will bring. I've got my own place, scrappy for company for lulu, transport, time, finances so whatever will be will be! Thanks so much for sharing your stories, it's really helping me understand her.

Brummyrat

Visit site
She looks lovely OP and I know you're going to have lots of fun with her, you're doing the right thing by taking your time, once they bond with you you can't lose. I had my last purebred D for 20 years (my avatar) and he was like a best friend, I can't quite describe the bond we had, he did a bit of everything but was so highly strung everyone thought I was brave when I was riding him but really he had absolutely no malice in him, just wanted to get on with things and have fun! After I lost him I really didn't know what to do but lo and behold, bought a very cheap gelding just short of 3 years old, not been started which was scary but now at 5 he's amazing, so kind, loyal, trainable and feisty - but bombproof in traffic! Plus he has fantastic movement for a Welshie, when he's not spooking etc but that's par for the course! Good luck....take your time and you'll have a friend for life x

Lammy

Visit site
Mine is incredibly food oriented...she knows her routine and knows when she should be being fed. If this routine is disturbed then she is terribly displeased! She is a very silly mare, will jump anything but if we have to walk past a filler we do it sideways so she can keep an eye on it even if she has just jumped over it.

She's a trier, when she wants to be. If you don't ask in a nice, correct way you're not going to get what you want. she's a character and certainly my horse of a lifetime :)

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I've had several pure beds and one crossed with TB.
They can be very loving, loyal a d honest. But then they can be comp,etely opposite!
All depends on the or breeding and upbringing.

Some are just plain a pain.

Biggest most important thing is always always be consistent

Ha Ha mine will be coming into his 6th year next year, I will prepare for 'Kevin' although I think he might have been half Kevin this year, the spoilt brat!

cblover

Visit site
I'll ask Santa to bring me a big bag of 'sense of humour' to get me through the next few years. We're trailer training again this afternoon....I'll see whats left of my sense of humour after that! lol

Crackerz

Visit site
I have a 6yold, he is very complicated!!

On one hand he is bold and independent, but on the other hand he is very needy and a worrier.

When i got him, he'd only been handled to and from field moves in a bridle. It took 3 months to have him safely walking in a headcollar because as soon as you tried walking him without a bit, he was off! I've broken in more horses than i care to remember, and taken on many a dangerous project horse - yet he made me feel like i had no idea what i was doing in those first few months :D

Getting him in a winter routine of in at night and out in the day was horrific - he'd walk willingly in to his stable, but then rear. Just stand there rearing. Not trying to get out over the door or anything, just stood up! You'd walk passed and all you could see was his chest and front feet! He smashed all the light fittings in the stables, whoops. Anyway, we left him to it each time and now he loves coming in.
Breaking him in the following year was just as difficult. His reaction to anything he doesn't like is to rear. Once non-rearing groundwork was in place, it took some serious bravepants to get on him! Which proved difficult, he is a big boy (15.1hh in every direction 9.5" of bone) and he reared a lot. Eventually he learnt forward was easier. To this day though, if he doesn't like something then a rear is his go-to reaction, however it is VERY rare now. (just to add, he's had everything checked a number of times, he's fine)

His willingness to please you under-saddle now is a downfall though. He thinks he is doing things wrong when he isn't and panics. I don't know how he was treated prior to me having him, but i don't think anything was ever done with him judging by how much i had to do with him to make him safe when i got him, so i am not sure where his panic comes from.

He is however, a massive character. He plays with giant branches like a dog. Like that video of the horse running round the indoor carrying a jump pole - that's exactly what he would do!
Once he gets the lightbulb moment, he remembers forever. Our lateral work out hacking is fabulous, he is a pro at turn on the forehand and his gigantic canter is getting there!!

I do love him, once i can travel him he's going to kick ass in the affiliated show ring :D

SuperH

Visit site
I've got two at the moment and have had several over the last 30 years. We have never gone out specifically looking to buy a D, but I find that they can be a bit bratty with the wrong person and therefore are often cheap to buy for the quality as they need some manners reinstating.

My current two couldn't be more different. They are totally different builds, personalities, strides and feel very different to ride. I use mine as low level allrounders but when we do show I find the judge will love one type or the other and they have both won equal amounts. I find them great fun but as others have said they usually need boundaries and consistency or they will take the pee (although to be fair I find most equines the same regardless of breed).

LHIS

Visit site
I've got two at the moment and have had several over the last 30 years. We have never gone out specifically looking to buy a D, but I find that they can be a bit bratty with the wrong person and therefore are often cheap to buy for the quality as they need some manners reinstating.

My current two couldn't be more different. They are totally different builds, personalities, strides and feel very different to ride. I use mine as low level allrounders but when we do show I find the judge will love one type or the other and they have both won equal amounts. I find them great fun but as others have said they usually need boundaries and consistency or they will take the pee (although to be fair I find most equines the same regardless of breed).

Can we see pics? I'm intrigued by your description of them!

cblover

Visit site
I think I'm even more in love with Lulu after today's trailer session. She didn't forget a thing from our last session and was quickly inside the trailer today, quietly standing there and having a cuddle with me. I could literally see the cogs in her brain working as she was processing the whole thing. So clever and I was very proud of her.

pansymouse

Visit site
I have D x TB - she's the best horse I've owned by far. At 23 she's fit, active and fast and we have absolute blast together. She is completely dominant with other horses and distant with people but has lovely manners and loves to work. She's my second of the breeding and now I wouldn't buy anything else.

welshstar

Visit site
I have an 11 year old, still hasnt grown up! A bit of a natural worrier and doesnt keep weight on that well. He talented but nerves and spookyness get to him! I can count on one hand the amount of shows where he hasnt had a moment haha

15otmbp.jpg

15q86rm.jpg

9fsjyr.jpg

faa2yb.jpg

s2zart.jpg