Ford d series horsebox

Rambo

Visit site
Yep....we had one of them back in 1984 ! It was an antique then
shocked.gif

The capacity depends on the amount of living and the size of the container though....nothing to do with the chassis. I think i'm right in saying that a Ford D Series cab is usually rated to 7.5 tons, if not then at least 5.5 tons, so on that basis alone would be okay to take 3 large horses.

They are very, very old lorries though and spare parts might be an issue. They also rust (like all Fords) !

Hornby

Visit site
Rambo is right - they are old and the cab prone to rust, but mine was a great workhorse and never let me down. The living in this one looks quite large and the ceiling height may govern the size of horse that can fit in (mine had unfitted living and room for 3 X 16.3 but they did have to travel with poll-guards). That one seems a little expensive but might be worth a look.

Claireg9

Visit site
We used to have one, our living was smaller though so it had more room in the back we could fit 4 14.2hh or 3 17hh+ i cant see why it wouldnt fit them in... just check the weights, so your not over weight.. especially if you have big boys.
Looks like a nice enough lorry but it seems a little expensive and it is old, i would hesitate to buy anything that old now as the engine in ours blew up after 7 sturdy years!

jacks_mum

Visit site
we have one, it's called Smartie, because it is blue and is a fab lorry. it will take 3 horses but will go very slowly especially up hill. I carry my mini shetland and 16.1hh horse in it fairly regularly with no problems - except we have to have Pepper, the little one, facing the other way or she just wanders round the partition and joins Jack in his bit. ours is a down graded 10 tonne lorry and is classified as a 7.5 tonner. and was half the price of the one in your ad. they are prone to rust as everyone has said but we love ours and it hasn't let us down....yet.....