FORD IVECO ..GEAR BOXES

MDJO

Visit site
Hi
Just been to look at a new wagon on a R reg Ford Iveco chassis (6sp/150bhp). The gearbox seemed a little stiff but was assured that this was the 'norm' for Iveco's? It seemed to get a little easier after 5-10 mins but was still quite tight in terms of finding the right gear. Has anyone got any experience of this? Is this the case or am i being sold a duffer? Many Thanks
smile.gif

Judith01

Visit site
I have an Iveco 815 (I think)!!! and the gear box is brilliant, not stiff and easy to find the right gear. In my box I have never missed a gear, a friend of mine has an Iveco 813 and that gear box is awful, the box seems huge, gears seem miles apart and it constantly jumps out of 3rd!!! I would see if you can try another Iveco and compare the 2. The other thing to think about is just because the horse box itself is an Iveco it doesnt mean that the gear box is, if you see what I mean. Mine is fantastic and as easy to drive as a car. Hope that helps?!!!

horsimous

Visit site
I have driven two

One was great, just like driving a car, the other was lousy whenever you changed gear it was "pick a gear, any gear - if you're lucky enough to find one!" The company I hired it from had had it from new and said it had always been like it and couldn't do anything to improve it.

I would try out some others. It's not much fun wondering if you'll find a gear everytime you change gear and a nightmare in busy traffic. Not fun for the horse either and makes it more stressful for you.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
a friend of mine has an Iveco 813 and that gear box is awful, the box seems huge, gears seem miles apart and it constantly jumps out of 3rd!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL my old lorry was an 0813 and it did exactly this - esp when going uphill. Also a nightmare getting it in to reverse as was my old boss' cargo.

MDJO

Visit site
The seller says the gearbox is stiff for 10 mins then gets better (and this was the case on the test drive) ...is this something that can get fixed? oh, what to do! The wagon is excellent apart from the gearbox and a real bargain ..

Judith01

Visit site
Could you have an independant mechanic to check it out before you buy? Gear boxes are very expensive to replace. I would be a little worried about it being a 'real bargain'. But if you like it that much offer them a ridiculous amount for it because you're worried about the gear box, you never know. Have you driven it yourself, how long did you drive it for? Get a second opinion!!!