Ford Iveco lorry - parts?

Bangagin

Visit site
I had my lorry inspected before buying it by someone who seemed to be reputable, and he found very little wrong with it, so it has been a bit of a shock to the system to have a local mechanic get it prepared for an MOT 6 months later with a bill of just under £1000 and it failed!

It failed on the rear brakes, which were 6% under (plus headlight needing adjustment) and on investigation it seemed to be a seized valve, but when he took it for a road test the valve "popped" and so he had to get a replacement. He bought a second hand valve as a new one was £250 plus VAT, but second hand it still cost £100.

So I am just wondering whether this sounds realistic, and whether anyone has any recommendations for a good supplier to source parts?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Your lorry mechanic should have checked the headlight allignment before taking it for the test.
As regards the brakes the problem with horseboxes is that they stand around a lot and brakes can seize etc as a result of this. You are of course always better fitting new branded original parts because they will last. It is false economy using used parts.
When doing the pre-inspection check up get your mechanic to remove the wheels so that the brakes can be thoroughly checked.

Mike007

Visit site
I had my lorry inspected before buying it by someone who seemed to be reputable, and he found very little wrong with it, so it has been a bit of a shock to the system to have a local mechanic get it prepared for an MOT 6 months later with a bill of just under £1000 and it failed!

It failed on the rear brakes, which were 6% under (plus headlight needing adjustment) and on investigation it seemed to be a seized valve, but when he took it for a road test the valve "popped" and so he had to get a replacement. He bought a second hand valve as a new one was £250 plus VAT, but second hand it still cost £100.

So I am just wondering whether this sounds realistic, and whether anyone has any recommendations for a good supplier to source parts?

Does it sound relistic..for a ford cargo sorrybut yes.I consider myself a bit ahead ofthe game regarding lorrys yet my own trecherous cargodecided to land me with a £800 bill for parts ,completely out of the blue, brakes of course!.God knows what it would have cost with labour!.

perfect11s

Visit site
yes as others have said, new parts and a good go thru, wheels off and everything cleaned
lubed checked, then they seem to be fine for years , however from the oldest ford cargo to the latest iveco eurocargo the brakes are air over hydrolic which is stupidy complicated and lots of expensive parts and pipes to fail. why they stick with them when most of the others are on full air brakes god knows !!! oh well guess it keeps the parts dept and mecanics busy !!!

Bangagin

Visit site
The lorry is H reg, and I have no idea what valve it was as I haven't settled up with him and seen the itemised bill.

I was surprised he hadn't checked headlight alignment previously, but at least it didn't just fail on that!

How far would you need to drive the lorry, and how often to keep the brakes in good working order?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Having a lorry checked over before buying is fine however after 6 months when it comes for testing don't expect everything to be the same as it was 6 months ago. Many things can change in that period of time.

As have been said lorrys are designed to be used daily & to do many miles & this is what they do until they become horseboxes. When that happens many only get used once a month & even more rarely during the winter months. Standing around during the wettest & coldest months of the year does not do any vehicle any good. You need to start them up & get the wheels turning during these periods.

Parts for lorries are expensive & hourly rate for a lorry mechanic can be high as well. I look my lory when I first had it to a garage for a small amount of work & was charged 'commercial rate' which was around £70 per hour :( I have an independent mechanic now that charged a fraction of that, but bills can still be high. You also have to remember that your lorry is 22 years old......& parts don't last for ecer & you'llfind that every year there will be things to replace/renew.

Bangagin

Visit site
If you need spare at a reasonable price try these

www.stores.ebay.co.uk/Phillips-Commercials-Online

By far the cheapest place as the parts are still being made in turkey and phillips import them. l ordered part which were delivered the next day.

Thanks for this. :D

I haven't used it a great deal this winter, but it has been started up regularly and driven a short distance around the land where it is kept each time it has been started.

mutley75

Visit site
The headlight aim is the only thing you are allowed to change at the test center, no other work my be carried out. So for the aim to be out it might be as simple as the adjustment for it on the dash is not working. Horse boxes are the only vehicle that are allowed to be tested without a load. This is why such a high percentage of them have under performing brakes. More weight, more break applied by load sensing valve which after 20+ years has probably had a good innings!