Ford Maverick any oppinions for towing?

Patches

Visit site
I have A LWB Maverick (but an older one, 1995 plate) and a SWB Terrano which is the same thing as Nissan made the Maverick for Ford.

Tows my Ifor 505 effortlessly. Handles well, drives like a car instead of a tank (as some of the Land Rovers do - older models of course).

I'm really happy with mine. Infact, so happy am I with it that I can't justify replacing it. It's low mileage and is in excellent condition and apart from the school run I don't go far from the farm anyway.

Pulls and handles well in any weather. Does about 320 miles to a full tank of diesel too.

moocow

Visit site
Fantastic! Looks like I bagged myself a bargain then. i haven't even seen it yet but my hubbie went and test drove it today. He is totally non horsie, city lad so I was worried about just how useful it would be.... that will teach me for doubting him!
tongue.gif

Its not a new one or anything (R reg) and it will have to tow my 2 horses one 16hh one 17hh - its the SWB that we have bought. thats presuming it gets passed its first hurdle and manages to get us from Yorkshire to scotlnad to belfast to dublin towing the box!!!!

Seemed like a good idea at the time!

thanks for your oppinions!

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
actually i hate to say this but those do not come under the dvla towing laws as tow cars for pulling trailers

i owuld check on the dvla towing laws for weight restrciton and tow vechiles -- many ,manufacters think yuo talking box when say box of a box trialer not a horse box with 2 needdys in also you past your test after 1997 then you have to take a towing test my daughter 23 and cannot two unless iam with her --

ihatework

Visit site
I used to have a SWB ford maverick and I have to say it towed very well indeed, comparable to anything else I have towed with. However reliability wise it wasn't as impressive I'm afraid ....
I researched its towing capacity before I bought it and it was boarderline legal with 2 horses.
Just ran an internet search and can't find the values but a slightly newer Terrano 2.7 3Dr has a tow capacity of 2800kg so I doubt the Maverick is far off that given they are essentially the same car.

conniegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I researched its towing capacity before I bought it and it was boarderline legal with 2 horses.
Just ran an internet search and can't find the values but a slightly newer Terrano 2.7 3Dr has a tow capacity of 2800kg so I doubt the Maverick is far off that given they are essentially the same car.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats the case then i doubt you will be legal with 2 horses. We tow between 2.3 and 2.5 tonnes with 2 14hh ponies. Remember that the towing weight also includes all the stuff you have in the boot (tack, water, feed, etc) of the car AND any passengers excluding the driver.

moocow

Visit site
Thanks a million for your responses. I hadn't even considered the tow limit. Will do some more research on it but if needs be, they will have to go in the box one at a time!

Thanks!