Forecast this week and shows not postponing!

teapot

Visit site
Not really wanting to start a naming and shaming game but interesting to hear you opinion on the Venue . There are few championship shows going ahead this weekend . But many smaller local venues have cancelled !

Great venue, but not in over 30s temps imho for the context of rider and horse I’ve mentioned obviously :) We went because the rider was able to make the decision (and horse’s owner was happy at the time). On the way home, she changed her mind it was so vile temps wise.

I would have a different opinion of said venue for a BD/BE comp for example!

Last edited:

Dexter

Visit site
Theres a weather warning and compromised people are being advised to stay inside next weekend to avoid serious risk of harm. How on earth can they justify running a championship for disabled people in over 30 degree heat? Its madness and I'd be furious as well. I understand the venue will lose money, but thats a risk they take when they organise events. There is insurance that can be bought to protect them in those instances, and given how much a stay away championship show costs to attend, adding it to the entry fee wouldnt make much difference.
Some exceptionally high temperatures are possible during Sunday and could lead to widespread impacts on people and infrastructure.
What to expect
  • Population-wide adverse health effects are likely to be experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to potential serious illness or danger to life. Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice.
  • Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines likely to be required
  • Significantly more people are likely to visit coastal areas, lakes and rivers leading to increased risk of water safety incidents
  • Delays on roads and road closures are possible, along with delays and cancellations to rail and air travel, with potential for significant welfare issues for those who experience even moderate delays

sport horse

Visit site
Theres a weather warning and compromised people are being advised to stay inside next weekend to avoid serious risk of harm. How on earth can they justify running a championship for disabled people in over 30 degree heat? Its madness and I'd be furious as well. I understand the venue will lose money, but thats a risk they take when they organise events. There is insurance that can be bought to protect them in those instances, and given how much a stay away championship show costs to attend, adding it to the entry fee wouldnt make much difference.

It is probably not the venue who will lose money but the organisers ie RDA. They will have signed a contract with the venue and will have to pay up anyway.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Absolutely.

So they cancel and there isn't a champs (again), there will be people that aren't happy with that either. I hope they are able to come up with some mitigations re. timings etc. I imagine there are quite a lot of conversations happening with lots of organisers right now.

Mary3050

Visit site

Like I said I don’t want to name as there are lots of other championship type shows on this weekend one at onley, one at arena Uk they have made some changes to account for the heat and a couple of society bits on too . It poses the overall question of where is the line drawn is there’s a server weather warning surly all equine events should cancel

Mary3050

Visit site
Absolutely.

So they cancel and there isn't a champs (again), there will be people that aren't happy with that either. I hope they are able to come up with some mitigations re. timings etc. I imagine there are quite a lot of conversations happening with lots of organisers right now.

I am sure there is I think my niece is wait to hear for any mitigation steps . Think arena uK are running earlier and later etc

teapot

Visit site
Like I said I don’t want to name as there are lots of other championship type shows on this weekend one at onley, one at arena Uk they have made some changes to account for the heat and a couple of society bits on too . It poses the overall question of where is the line drawn is there’s a server weather warning surly all equine events should cancel

I think the line is drawn in a different place when the welfare of rider and horse (and the volunteers!) is a whole other context to the BE events running all weekend, or what’s on at Olney or Arena UK.

I’m not going but will be interested to see what happens. I love that weekend, it’s unrivalled, but it was bad enough at 30 degrees imho.

Last edited:

Surbie

Visit site
My understanding is that a number of centres are considering withdrawing. My centre has a slightly longer transport time than you. The horses are not old, but it is a lot to ask of them. I think there is a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes on a regional and national level, and while there haven't been any champs because of covid, the horses' welfare comes first.

Fieldlife

Visit site
My understanding is that a number of centres are considering withdrawing. My centre has a slightly longer transport time than you. The horses are not old, but it is a lot to ask of them. I think there is a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes on a regional and national level, and while there haven't been any champs because of covid, the horses' welfare comes first.

If a horse isn’t a fit, seasoned competing horse and a regular traveller of reasonable lorry distances it is a lot to ask in very hot weather.

Mary3050

Visit site

I think my nieces is gonna wait and see as the weather could change which would be Amazing but unlikely. I know she rode this morning very very early it was still 23 degrees she did less than 20 minutes the horse were so hot . I have been trying to keep my young & fit competition horse cool and hydrated at home today . It not even as hot as expected over the weekend

Mary3050

Visit site
I think the line is drawn in a different place when the welfare of rider and horse (and the volunteers!) is a whole other context to the BE events running all weekend, or what’s on at Olney or Arena UK.

I’m not going but will be interested to see what happens. I love that weekend, it’s unrivalled, but it was bad enough at 30 degrees imho.

Yes the volunteers for people I have known to volunteer they won’t want to let the riders down but won’t put themselves first .

Dave's Mam

Visit site
We did a show last year in lower temps & whilst all was fine going TO the show, the lorry was absolutely boiling when we went to go home, despite being open all day. Both ponies mildly objected to load & despite only 10 minutes to get home, they were dripping (heavily feathered cob & Exmoor) by the time we got home.
Just something to consider.

Bob notacob

Visit site
I think these days ,fans should be compulsory on all livestock transport. A few years ago ,I got caught out bringing a horse from Ceredigion to Surrey. Plan went to bits early on when horse destroyed partition. Didnt dare go in to horse area . It seemed to accept the situation but mentally I was preparing a line of emergency stops off the route home. (farmers I knew) . Then it got hot. Turned into the hottest day of the year. No fans,but we were rolling.... till we hit the countrys worst traffic jam ever. I just stuck the truck under a bridge on the m25 in the shade,and tried to plan a way out. Called the owners and told them to have a vet on standby a) to possibly sedate horse while we removed the broken partition (and it not making a well justified bolt for freedom over us),and b) to rehydrate a possibly overheated horse. Managed to get off the motorway and although traffic was bad ,at least we had fresh air into the box.
One seriously dehydrated driver and rather hot and miffed horse eventually made it back , 8 hours overdue ,only to find the vet was still stuck in traffic . Ultimately horse was ok but I so wish I had some fans in the box.

SO1

Visit site
I think if you are worried about the welfare of your horse then speak to your vet about the situation and see what they advise.

34C is abnormally hot and horses and people not used to it if you have an air conned box where your horse can wait in the cool and there is access to plenty of water and you know your horse will drink away from home and perhaps if you gave the horse a full clip and the journey is not too long and you can travel early or late to avoid the heat it might be an option.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Out of curiosity and because it's a horsey year I can remember better than any other for a few particular reasons, I've just looked up the temperatures for July 1983.

Nobody batted an eye. It was just seen as glorious weather back then.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=tystat&id=1042

View attachment 95740
I remember staying on at the NPS summer show that year till after 9 in the evening before loading to come home.
Even then, the lorry temp gauge shot right up when it started up and it took about 4 miles to come down. We had a 3.5 hr drive home having been on the showground for 3 days. Vile.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Not applicable to the RDA venue.

Possibly if the venue cancels a Championships this year they may not be allowed to hold any Championship show next year.

RDA.

I took ponies to the championships twice. One of those times was in seriously hot weather. The ponies coped fine with some management tweaks. I left the riders for their parents/carers to look after, the volunteers looked after themselves. There were times when all people were uncomfortable and we avoided going into the marquee.

Not our group but I know that at least two riders were taken to hospital due to being given too much water to drink. I did not hear of any going due to heat stress.

We left just as an almighty thunderstorm started and the rain was so heavy that cars on the dual carriageway were running onto the grass verge to stop as there was no visibility. I was unable to do so as there were too many cars already parked up to get the trailer off the road. The storm headed home with us and we only got rid of it by getting into motorway services for fuel, both people and vehicle. Then we followed it home.

maya2008

Visit site
For several years I had sharers who could only come at 2pm on a Saturday. So come they did, whatever the weather. They rode in 32 degrees and hotter in the height of summer, and we learnt to make it work - hose the horses off beforehand, tack up, take slosh bottles for breaks, keep them as wet as we could. Never had a problem. Wouldn’t work for showing, but you could jump or do dressage with a damp horse and you could reapply water before and after each class.

Although I see they have cancelled now!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I think it’s difficult. If you’d looked at Sundays forecast yesterday night, we were forecast 34C, it’s now dropped to 26C which is much more manageable. It might go up again before the weekend, it might go down. It might be completely wrong.

people will be complaining either way, and even more so if the weather turns out not to be as hot as expected!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I think it’s difficult. If you’d looked at Sundays forecast yesterday night, we were forecast 34C, it’s now dropped to 26C which is much more manageable. It might go up again before the weekend, it might go down. It might be completely wrong.

people will be complaining either way, and even more so if the weather turns out not to be as hot as expected!
That's the weather forecast for you.
Currently it's forecasted to be 35 to 36 here on Monday .... hoping that will change!
Screenshot_20220712-205425_Chrome.jpg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
That's the weather forecast for you.
Currently it's forecasted to be 35 to 36 here on Monday .... hoping that will change!
View attachment 95784
Yes, I appreciate that it’s very geography dependent! I am East Mids coastal so it does tend to be slightly cooler than other places.

Just meant if a forecast can change by that much in 24hrs, it makes it much harder for organisers to make early decisions.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse and they are kind of right to say its up to the rider as they should know their horse however as its a national championship then presumably a lot of people with "hot" horses may still choose to compete... I have 2 horses currently - my old retired eventer who loved hot weather and a mare who always seems hot so she wouldnt cope well at all.

Utimately they lose loads of money if they cancel and Im guessing they'll also get a lot of hassle from competitors if they try to reschedule.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I'm actually helping at an Area comp this weekend and would love for it to be cancelled because I am going to melt. However, I think ultimately horse welfare decisions lie with the owner. Yes annoying to lose out on your entry fee but is it worth a potentially dehydrated/ill horse? I personally would be less concerned about the actual competing and more about the travelling. Our area is huge so people could be travelling for a couple of hours plus the risk of traffic adding time/breaking down. I read that commercial transporters can't transport horses in temps hotter than 30 degrees unless they have air con. I don't know anyone with air con in their boxes/trailers. I wouldn't want to travel without air con/free access to constant water so would not expect my horse to do the same.

Do organisers not have an insurance policy to cover this or is weather not included? I think the only risk with organisers not cancelling is the message this is sending to people, that horse welfare does not come first.