Foreign Breeds

Visit site
What breeds would be eligible to enter a foreign/rare breed class?

I always understood that Arabs etc. would qualify.
I have a part bred arab x Connemara, would he qualify to enter?

Thanks in advance
Helena

Visit site
Generally speaking Arabs aren't allowed in Foreign Breeds classes as they have their own classes. Part breds aren't allowed in FB classes either. Especially as the other half of it is a British Breed. Warmbloods aren't allowed in Foreign Breed classes as they are common, not special.

I did once argue that one of my TB's was born and bred in America from purely American bloodlines and my other one was born and bred in France and was 1/16th Selle Francaise but they are TB's so weren't allowed in lol!

asmp

Visit site
Probably depends on the show. Once for a bit of fun I entered my Criollo in an inhand foreign class at a local show - what a mistake! It was full of Arabs who were being wound up by their owners outside the ring to make them show off once in.

Snowfilly

Visit site
A lot of the local shows take Arabs in the foreign breeds as there aren't enough to give them their own class. I've never seen part breds allowed.

There's often a pair of Icelandics, a fjord, assorted Haflingers and the western horse contingent in our local ones. Used to be a lot of PREs but they generally have their own class now.

You do sometimes get them added in wih the rare breeds, which brings heavy horses, exmoors, fells etc into the mix.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I've seen quite a few where part bred foreign breeds are allowed. It is usually stated clearly in the schedule if this is the case. I've never seen Arabs in them, but I don't see why not. I have one horse who is half PRE and one who is half Knabstrupper, and have entered both in a foreign breed class.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have done foreign breed classes with my pure bred Arabs at local level as there generally is nothing else they can enter in, they often let warmbloods do them as well I have seen quite a few.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Generally speaking Arabs aren't allowed in Foreign Breeds classes as they have their own classes. Part breds aren't allowed in FB classes either. Especially as the other half of it is a British Breed. Warmbloods aren't allowed in Foreign Breed classes as they are common, not special.

I did once argue that one of my TB's was born and bred in America from purely American bloodlines and my other one was born and bred in France and was 1/16th Selle Francaise but they are TB's so weren't allowed in lol!

I also agree that warmbloods shouldn't be in Foreign breeds - but a friend of mine pulled 2nd in a strong inhand class with her middle weight hunter prospect, over some very flashy PRE's / freisans etc.

I was miffed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I also agree that warmbloods shouldn't be in Foreign breeds - but a friend of mine pulled 2nd in a strong inhand class with her middle weight hunter prospect, over some very flashy PRE's / freisans etc.

I was miffed.

I have been beaten by a few as well the last one that did I don't think even looked sound either but hey ho!

WelshD

Visit site
Arab I think would be ok. Definitely not a part bred X Connie though.
Foreign breed classes are for pure breds unfortunately.
You may find there is a part bred class though which you'd be able to compete in and also maybe a part bred M&M class too.

Last edited: