Foreign driving licences...not exactly horse-related, sorry!

ecrozier

Visit site
Sorry this isn't exactly horse related, but is a tedious link!
As you may have seen from my other posts, I am in process of booking to do my Class 2 HGV and buying a 7.5 tonnelorry.

However my OH is originally South African, and although he now lives here permanently hasn't yet swapped his licence (was living in london so didn't have a car!)

How does it work with the licence he will be issued here? His SA licence entitles him to drive 7.5 tonnes (took his test about 11years ago)...does that mean the one they issue him here will? If not, we are going back there for a month in the spring, if he was to gain his SA HGV equivalent, could he then get that issued here (much cheaper over there!)
Or would he then still have to do a C1 or C test here to drive our box??
DVLA website really not clear on this one!

pixie

Visit site
I think your best bet would be to email the DVLA just to check, and if they say its ok, then ask them to send it to you in writing through the post
wink.gif

ecrozier

Visit site
He just gave up trying to find out and phoned the dvla....apparently even if he takes an HGV test out there, still will only be exchanged for a car licence here! So no point really, have to save up for his test too
mad.gif

I'm going first though!

dieseldog

Visit site
My OH is SA as well and hasn't swapped his licence yet either. He's just had to renew his in SA as it and expired. He's got a HGV licence over there and I think he would lose it here when he swaps his licence.