Forest freedom

Auslander

Visit site
Something I've always wondered about Forest ponies - do you have to take them somewhere specific to turn them back out, or do you just open the gate and let them rip?
Also - how do you find them again?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Mine run near where I keep my riding ponies. I lead them up the track and once through the gate they know where they are. They tend to stay within a 3 mile radius (called their "haunt"). You get to know where they can be at certain times of the day and year. Of course when you actually want to find them you can search for hours and not see them! It will change shortly when the stallions go out, some mares will disappear in search of them. The forest is split into different areas and each area has a particular tail mark. This is done on the annual drifts (round ups) so if an unknown mare ventures into another area she can be traced back to her normal area via tail mark and brand.

Auslander

Visit site
Mine run near where I keep my riding ponies. I lead them up the track and once through the gate they know where they are. They tend to stay within a 3 mile radius (called their "haunt"). You get to know where they can be at certain times of the day and year. Of course when you actually want to find them you can search for hours and not see them! It will change shortly when the stallions go out, some mares will disappear in search of them. The forest is split into different areas and each area has a particular tail mark. This is done on the annual drifts (round ups) so if an unknown mare ventures into another area she can be traced back to her normal area via tail mark and brand.
thank you - very interesting! Amused at the bit about mares disappearing in search of stallions - I've got 4 here who would leave home without hesitation if there was the merest sniff of real man! Mind you, they'd definitely be back at 7am and 4pm for food

Sky’s-Legacy

Visit site
I love the New Forest! I was meant to be coming down for the weekend in June but don’t think that’ll be happening now sadly!

What’s their breeding? I’ve got a New Forest pony, she’s out of Longslade Mary sired by Brookshill Brumby.

Sky’s-Legacy

Visit site
Ah my friends got a Mockbegger :)

She does a bit of everything, she’s turned out to be a cracking all rounder. I’d like to put her to harness eventually one day. I got her from the sales as a 5 month old with her dam, she’ll be 11 this month.

She’s interesting tho! Never owned such a highly strung/sensitive pony to what she is!

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
They are great all rounders. My old mare used to run with the roan's dam. I always liked the dam, she only had one filly foal, which is now mine!

As with all breeds you can get quirky/interesting characters. Mine are all different but loveable. Wouldn't have anything else.

suebou

Visit site
I have a Knightwood mare, age 27 who I adore.....I also grew up in the forest riding new forests! I will be looking for another when the awful day comes...? if anyone is needing a good home for a registered nf, preferably a mare, for everything!

J&S

Visit site
I owned Longcopse Sunbeam, she was a Slipper line pony, bred by Gordon Hoole. Just a fantastic pony.

Auslander

Visit site
I had a lovely little New Forest mare called Meerut Serenade years ago. Absolute monkey - she is the only horse I've ever sold who inspired the fateful words "she's never done that before", but she was very pretty, and a nifty little jumper!

lme

Visit site
We had a lovely NF mare called Blissford Farm Crescent. Unfortunately we lost her to in her late teens when she failed to recover from a colic op.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
This thread inspired me to do a quick Google search about New Forest Ponies. I know very little about them, but after my search and resulting reading, I find the whole thing interesting and quite neat!

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
More than happy to answer any questions you may have CC. I had one on loan when I was 13. Loved them ever since. Also very pleased to see them settled on the forest this afternoon, they haven't wandered far. ?