forgive me for i have sinned !!! help me stop holding onto him :-(

whiteflower

Visit site
My old boy has retired and ive started to bring on my youngster. we will be starting lessons asap but are being held back due to the sj instructors arena being constantly frozen/snowy etc.

i have as intented started the basics myself but am noticing a nasty habit having krept in. im holding my boy too much going into jumps. i know im doing it, im trying desperately to stop it but my brain just wont let me. Im used to holding my old boy who went into jumps like a tank and holding him worked for us, however with my young boy this is disrupting our rhythem and making our canter go flat - resulting in getting in too deep and the odd stop !!!

i know its me - i know what im doing wrong and how im letting him down but how the hell do i get my brain to bl00dy well stop it !!!!

any ideas of any exercises any of you wonderful people can think of to help stop me holding for the few strides before the jump - any suggestions greatfully received as im currently considering tying my arms behind my back or cutting them off !!

Firewell

Visit site
I used to that with my old horse.
What I found really helped was to draw a line in the surface about 5 strides out frOm the jump. Before that line I could do what I wanted to get my canter how I was happy, push it on, hook it back whatever, control was mine! Once over that line I have to stay totally still, just keep my leg on and a soft contact but that's it.
Having the line really helped my psychologically to prepare my canter early and also to sit still and quiet in to the fence. It helped the stride to come to me if that makes sense?!
I think sometimes people use a pole instead of a drawn line but with a pole I would try and ride a stride into the pole which sort of missed the point f

Firewell

Visit site
Whoops.

Sort of missed the point for me.

Otherwise another thing to do is stick to small grids? I don't know about you but I sit still I'm combinations as I know the stride is already worked out for me :)

Bryndu

Visit site
Not sinned - just humen like the rest of us!!!!!
Tricky one to fix as you have 'muscle memory, from your old boy!
However - help is at hand.
Keep the fence REALLY small and walk in to it from a half 20 metre circle and allow the horse to control the pace. The problem you face is YOU are trying to control the pace and the new horse will pull against you in a 'tug of war/scream if you want to go faster' mode.
Also, by walking in to the fence and popping, it will allow you to realise how much easier it is to relax and sit quietly as you don't get a long 'run' at it.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Bryndu:)

oldvic

Visit site
Try holding your reins the other way so the thumb and index finger are nearest the bit like you are holding a frying pan. This stops you blocking him. Have some poles on the ground and establish the correct canter for jumping then just take in a pole when they are in your way. When you can keep the canter even for the poles then you can do it for small fences in the same way. Also bring the ground rail out a little to help him from getting too deep.
Jumping from trot with a longer rein and a neckstrap helps to get confidence if the horse has been worried by being restricted.

QassiaDeTouzaine

Visit site
My old boy has retired and ive started to bring on my youngster. we will be starting lessons asap but are being held back due to the sj instructors arena being constantly frozen/snowy etc.

i have as intented started the basics myself but am noticing a nasty habit having krept in. im holding my boy too much going into jumps. i know im doing it, im trying desperately to stop it but my brain just wont let me. Im used to holding my old boy who went into jumps like a tank and holding him worked for us, however with my young boy this is disrupting our rhythem and making our canter go flat - resulting in getting in too deep and the odd stop !!!

i know its me - i know what im doing wrong and how im letting him down but how the hell do i get my brain to bl00dy well stop it !!!!

any ideas of any exercises any of you wonderful people can think of to help stop me holding for the few strides before the jump - any suggestions greatfully received as im currently considering tying my arms behind my back or cutting them off !!

i have the EXACT same problem now I have a new youngster, but still have habits from my other horse. So frustrating because it is so hard to get out of!