Formula 4 Feet - Bit of Advice Please!

JAK

Visit site
In winter, ponies are basically fed on:
Hay/haylage
Happy Hoof chaff
Creature Comforts Alfalfa Gold (alfalfa + oil)
High Fibre Pencils
Top Spec Balancer

So.......fibre basically & lots of it!
smile.gif

I also feed a separate hoof supplement but looking at one of the Formula4Feet adverts, it states that it is a hoof supplement, an anti laminitis supplement and a feed balancer!
Sooooo....my question is:

Would it be ok to replace both the Top Spec balancer (partly fed as LBO refuses point blank to eat any form of powdered vitamin/mineral supplement!) and the hoof supplement with Formula4Feet?
(Only other supplement any of them would be having is Cortaflex & D&H's Breathe-Free!)

Please.......anyone?

Eliza120280

Visit site
I think I would say yes too - you could always try one of the telephone numbers for advice. I always thought it was bad to overload on vitamins so no need to feed a complete balancer and other supplements too x

JAK

Visit site
Thanks Druid - I don't want to deny them anything obviously, especially as our grazing is a bit rubbish & two of the ponies are getting on a bit now!

As long as the sec B 'diva from hell' condescends to actually eat it of course! LOL

JAK

Visit site
Ta!
Yes, I'm very anti stuffing things full of unnecessary supplements tbh! They only have the Top Spec now, 'cos I worry that the grazing is a bit pants at our place!
LBO's feet have always been rubbish though, so he does need a hoof supplement of some kind I think!
smile.gif

Eliza120280

Visit site
Let me know how you get on with the Formula 4 Feet - my TB has awful feet and am currently feeding him a biotin supplement but the F4F ads do look very convincing - or am I an advertisers 'dream come true-believe everything' kind of person!!

JAK

Visit site
I think I'm more 'cynical' than 'gullible' but the adverts do sound convincing, don't they?

Will let you know next summer if there's an improvement in their feet! LOL

Farm Kat

Visit site
Phone them, they are very helpful, and also ask for a free trial pack to see if they will eat it, they sent 2 for Mickey due to his size! you can also order from them, and it shouldn't cost you any more than normal, infact it's cheaper than our local place!

JAK

Visit site
Have just done that actually!
smile.gif

Don't even know what it costs yet but can't be worse than a balancer and a hoof supplement, can it?
(There's four ponies in total, so not expecting to save any money on the current expenditure - worse luck!)
frown.gif

Pidge

Visit site
I had Pidge on Farriers Formula when I first got him and then put him on the Top Spec Feed Balancer. Nicola at Top Spec told me I didn't need to feed the FF anymore as the feed balancer had the right stuff in it for the feet, my sister did well as I'd just bought another 5kg of FF which I gave her! He's been on Top Spec for over a year now and the farrier reckons his feet are 99% perfect. If in doubt ring or email Top Spec and they will give you some advice. I'm always dubious about overloading on things so like to check first.

JAK

Visit site
Eek - now I want to cry - it's all so confusing, isn't it?
frown.gif

I must say, your horsey does look fab in all his piccies though!
smile.gif

p.s. Middle daughter wants your hairy grey one, who is apparently super
cool.gif
according to her!
grin.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Thanks I'm a very proud mummy!
smile.gif
His feet weren't the best when I got him but now they are fab! All hail Top Spec! He's only fed the TS FB, TS conditioning flakes - now on the TS cool and conditioning cubes, alfa a, garlic and NAF D-Tox for his leg (mild stringhalt I think), and speedi beet in the winter. Couldn't ask for him to be in better condition me thinks! If I were you I would continue feeding the TS FB but no additional foot supplement, how long has he been on it for now?
The hairy beasty is my sister's horse Sunny and he is gorgeous! Your not based too far from us are you?

JAK

Visit site
They have always been fed a feed balancer, first D&H's Ultimate Balancer, then changed to TopSpec last year!
Have been on/off hoof supplements for the past couple of years & LBO's feet are certainly better but not perfect by any means!
frown.gif

Have to ask - what breeding is Sunny & how big is he? He's really striking looking, I can see why MD likes him - she does love the unusual coloured or 'furry' ones!
grin.gif

We haven't been to any of the Stafford or Penkridge RC shows this year but might have seen you around last year & not realised it!
(You've probably heard Fat Orange One though, as he is the noisiest pony ever at shows - a total embarrassment!)
blush.gif

JAK

Visit site
Sadly, the only way to get a straight biotin supplement into LBO would be to mix it with something......roll it into a ball......& shove it up his bottom......'cos he sure as hell wouldn't eat it!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Do you put anything on his feet? Have been putting Keratex Hoof Moisturiser on for the past month or so to help with the weather being so dry.
Not sure on the breeding of Sunny as his passport doesn't divulge! Bit of highland, fell, welsh? not sure on the mix! However he is 9 yo, 14.3hh and his leg length is the same as the depth of his body - stocky or what! He is also apparantley a traditional palamino colour, I must admit I'd never seen anything quite like him before!
Only did a couple of Stafford shows last when based around Ingestre way, then moved around Haughton and I only bought my lorry in April this year - fab to have wheels!
Sounds like Pidge then, surrounded by loads of horses but still cries his head off if Sunny is not near to him! Will have to arrange to meet at one of the shows if you want to?

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do you put anything on his feet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hosepipe turned on 'em daily now & Cornucrescine ointment scrubbed into the coronet band area with a toothbrush!
grin.gif

Are you going to Eccleshall show?

Pidge

Visit site
Yes if hand is better - fractured a bone in my left hand at the last Stafford Show as Pidge was VERY keen jumping! Worth it though I came 2nd in 2'3" and 5th in 2'6"
tongue.gif
Are you going?

JAK

Visit site
Ouch, poor hand!
frown.gif

We are going to watch at least - MD wants to take CB in a basic showing class but he is so naughty & unpredictable, I don't think my nerves could stand it, as anything could happen!
tongue.gif
shocked.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Best of it is I didn't come off - it was because he was sooooo strong! Hopefully going to do the WH as not done one before and a couple of others, hairy beasty is going as well so if you come to watch please come over and say hello. Sunny broncs when doing dressage especially if he takes a dislike to the judges car but behaves for showing, strange horse! so Chris is hoping to do a few classes with him as well.

JAK

Visit site
We will definitely come over & say hello!
smile.gif

Just have horrible vision of CB taking an instant dislike to something & disappearing into the middle distance!
He has been good at shows so far though...well, outside the ring anyway! (Mostly.....there was the time he careered out of the warm-up area at Penkridge of course, having decided he had to suddenly come & find me & FOO! MD's face was bright red & she was doing her best impression of a one rein stop but even at a canter, he wasn't stopping or turning for anything or anybody!)
shocked.gif
blush.gif

People have come up at shows & said "Is that ----?" & when you say yes, they kindly point out that he was a git/gonk/troll as a 3 year old, so are not surprised to learn he is a git/gonk/troll now!
shocked.gif

(He has his moments though & is perfectly capable of jumping a clear round but is just as likely to refuse 3 times at the first & then dump you in the ring ropes, so it's a good idea not to get too hopeful or excited about your prospects! LOL)

miniemy

Visit site
I would say have a look at both the nutritional information on the back and compare what you are getting in the formula4feet compared to the top spec. You may have a higher level of biotin in the formula 4 feet but it lacks other essential stuff that the top spec provides. Also consider the price/amount you have to feed.

I learnt this one the other day when looking at the feedmark products, particularly the dressage success product, compared to others.

Regards

Emma

Pidge

Visit site
That would be cool
smile.gif
CB sounds very much like Sunny OPINIONATED
tongue.gif
Can you enter the Eccleshall classes on the day or do they have to done before the 28th?

JAK

Visit site
Thanks Emma, I will!
smile.gif

Is all so expensive nowadays & don't want to have to keep chopping & changing obviously! Am happy with their 'high fibre' diet generally, so it's just the vitamin & mineral aspect of it all!