Forrest's ashes

seabiscuit

Visit site
Forrest's ashes have been sitting in a cardboard box for a few weeks now and I just have not been able to deal with them. I do not know what to do with them really. Any suggestions? Should I find a nice silver box to put them in or sprinkle them over his field?Agh such a simple task is so difficult! I do want to keep a part of him with us somehow..

mandy4727

Visit site
I have still got my ponies ashes from January. I was going to sprinkle some in my garden, some at the yard, some at the local show she loved going to and some on our favourite ride. But that didn't seem right. So until I am happy with where to sprinkle them they are staying put.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thanks Teapot...I am trying to think of a particular place or thing that he loved most....
He adored this little shetland pony called Tansy so maybe I could put some ashes in her field.
Christmas Night, am so sorry to hear about your father
frown.gif
frown.gif
do you keep his ashes in a particular place?

teapot

Visit site
I've never had to do it but think for my friend - it was kinda like she always knew he'd be there whenever she rode up there type thing

Field sounds a nice idea

squirtlysmum

Visit site
You don't have to do anything until you are ready.
My lovely girls ashes are still upstairs with her last set of shoes on top and I'm sure that's where they'll stay I had allsorts of ideas about where I'd put them but can't bring myself to part with her, so I chose a dark red rose (which was her colour for rugs etc) called the Dark Lady which suited her down to the ground and planted it in my garden.
I was very lucky that the company that cremated her put her ashes in a beautiful wooden box with her name on, mind you it weighs 3 stone!!! Maybe find a nice box for Forest.
My heart goes out to you!

sevenoceans

Visit site
Keep it until you feel ready to let him go... I reckon somewhere he loved the most and do it when the sun's shining like the day he went....

I scattered my dog's ashes on the gallops where i used to work cos he loved to chase up the gallops!

See you sats... XXXXXXXXXXXXX

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Don't be in any rush. You'll suddenly think of the right place and be happy to spread them there.

We drove my mum round for ages in the car - if we went somewhere we thought she'd like to go. Then scattered her ashes by a pond up the field.

You might need to get a little more distance between you, still. It's a very personal thing.

lilpete

Visit site
Im exactly the same, I had my horse PTS four weeks ago. I had him cremated, hes now sat in my bedroom. I really dont know what to do with him. I want to keep him, but I also want to scatter him.

S_N

Visit site
We keep arguing about what to do with them. I know what he'd like to have done with them, but Mum won't let him go, even is she is now engaged! He resides in pride of place on top of my wardrobe, with Pooh Bear, Tiger (Yes Tiger, NOT Tigger) and Gilbert the Gorilla standing (sitting) guard.

Louby

Visit site
I think its down to what you feel you want to do. I couldnt bear the thought of my horse being a bit here and a bit there if you know what I mean and would probably scatter them in his field or bury them under a tree or something but all together. Thats just the way I feel though.

Weezy

Visit site
How about contacting the Forrestry commission near you and having a tree planted in his honour and buring his ashes beneath the tree - a fitting tribute and in years to come you can put a plaque on the tree if you so desire - a nice big oak or something similar methinks!

mandy4727

Visit site
You will know when the time is right. It puts closure on it. And if you don't want to then that is fine. That is probably the reason why Margo is still behind the sofa. I had Margos last set of shoes and I lost one of them. Couldn't find it anywhere. Asked my daughter - no sign. For my 40th this year (August) someone made me a wooden garden gate and I have been waiting ages for it to be put up. It was at home tonight when I finished work. And there is the middle sprayed black is the missing shoe!!!! Brought a tear to my eye knowing my sister had thought to do that for me and gone to the trouble of getting the shoe etc etc knowing it meant so much to me.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
We still have our dogs ashes 2 years on! My mum wants to do something with them soon though. My dad did suggest making them into a brick/plaque for the wall in the garden - mum thought this was cruel, but i thought it was sweet seeing a my dad doesnt like pets, but he did like Sage. As ikky as it sounds, if u want to keep him with you, you could get a model made of him with some of his ashes mixed in? then scatter the rest over your favourite spots?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally keeping them is nice, but I think that would be difficult dealing with having them sitting about. I think sprinkling them somewhere really nice would be the best idea - like her favourite place or a nice forest etc.

Weezy

Visit site
You are welcome! I just (this is personally, not drected to anyone) hate the idea of ashes sitting in a box - what comes from nature should go back to nature and all that and a tree is, IMHO a very fitting tribute
smile.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
I know that its not an if, its going to be a when - but hopefully a long time yet - when Asti goes, if I can't sneakily bury her on the farm, I'll get her cremated and the ashes will go up on the moor top, scattered through the heather where we love to ride. Might keep a little and plant a tree or rosebush.

We've spent many an hour up there wandering around just the two of us, my favourite place for thinking or if I'm upset, off with miles and miles of moorland, just me and my pony - its so peaceful though we've been up there in storms and all sorts - its feels very close to the perfection of nature to me. Would be a perfect place.