Forward Facing Horseboxes

NicolaC

Visit site
Those with forward facing horseboxes, could you tell me the distance from breast bar to back of lorry please and the size of horse you travel. We have found a really nice box not too far away but I'm not sure Holly or Dora will fit. x

foraday

Visit site
It depends on the lorry!

Our forward facing is 3m! These are oakleys

All different makes are different sizes

ask them to go and measure it, should not be a problem

NicolaC

Visit site
They have given the measurement but not 100% sure and don't want to waste anyone's time if my mare won't fit. x

Tern

Visit site
I have the Ifor container that can *only* carry up to 16hh according to website the internal length is 3.46m. We carry a 13.3 cob and a 15.1/2hh Welsh D in it.

ETA: I would imagine it's about 2. something m. :)

NicolaC

Visit site
Lorry measurement it 6'8 and my biggest horses take 6'6 rugs. This is our first lorry as always had trailers.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My Ifor 510 trailer measures 6ft 8.5" between the breast bar and the breech bar, when they are set at the maximum distance apart. This is too big a distance for my 15.3hh HW maxicob, who takes 6ft6ins rugs, so I move them closer together. He still has plenty of room front and back. Hope this helps.

ETA remember rugs measure from mid point of chest, not the furthest forward point.

Last edited:

Louby

Visit site
Most herringbone lorries are between 7'6 and 8ft wide, any smaller and they seem to go more on the diagonal rather than side on. So this has to account for the neck and head too, which gives 16 inches longer than the wagon your looking at for the neck and head, based on the 7'6 wide one. Most horses would have a neck longer than this so Id say its worth looking at. :)