Forward girth groove saddle slipping back?

MoonlitArcher

Visit site
Ive been told my horse has a forward girth groove but I’m struggling to understand fully what this means. I’ve done some research and most of it says that this will cause a saddle to slip forward, but mine tends to slip back?
Anyone else had this problem? Does this mean he hasn’t got a forward girth groove? So confused!

My saddle has been professionally fitted so I’m going to get a breastplate and a prolite girth with a narrow gauge to see if this helps, it just tends to slip back slightly when I’m going up hills etc out hacking.
Any advice much appreciated!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My saddle slips back, with a horse with a forward grove.

In my case, the saddle isn't as curved as his back is, so the slip happens. I have it comfortable enough with a shim set up, but because it is not a real fit, it still slips.

Sadly, the horse had been out of work for a long time when I got him, so I shimmed as a temporary measure while he at least started work. Then we had lockdown, but I managed to get a fitting slot for 2 weeks ago, then the dratted freeze came and the fitting has been put off for another 3 weeks! Doh!

Louby

Visit site
My horse had a forward girth groove and saddles went forwards onto her shoulders. Id be speaking to the saddler tbh as if professionally fitted it shouldnt be going backwards.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Yep, always go back to your fitter. I would imagine that the girth groove might not be distinct, but could be forwards. Usually saddles move backwards on fit TB shapes, that borderline herring gutted shape, with no distinct girth groove. The most common reason for a drift backwards is the saddle is too wide/low in front, sometimes big very active shoulders can contribute, especially with forwards flaps, and a lack of a balance strap (rear ward girth strap attached right at the back of the flap) can also be a factor.