Found dog. (Rehomed)

Clodagh

Visit site
Out shooting today we got off the gun bus for the first drive and I go over a footbridge to stand at the back of the guns. Standing on the bridge was a sad and bedraggled GSD bitch. I am a bit wary of them, tbh, but she looked calm enough and spoke politely to Tawny (my lab). I slipped my slip lead on her hoping an owner would be right behind. No sign of anyone, the dog was really pleased to be with someone but I had absolutely nowhere to put her, so I took her to my usual position. She sat down happily next to me, was not gun shy, but did get a bit vocal when the other dogs were running around. At the end of the drive I had to go miles to look for a bird so handed her to a 'stop' who had arrived near me.
She didn't have a tag on her collar but the shoot captain recognised her so she was bundled into the mule cab, squashed between two large men, and ferried back home. The owner was distraught, but apparently she is always getting out, so not that distraught. If your dog wears a collar at least put a phone number on it!
Anyway, a happy ending for this (hopefully not just until next time) but with the coursing trouble we are having round here at the moment, and the associated crime, I can't believe people aren't more careful.

Shady

Visit site
Glad you got her home safely Clodagh:). I don't understand people at all sometimes... if your dog escapes, A ,,try and stop it , B, put it's details on a tag.
Every Winter I find lost hunt dogs, they all seem to either end up in my garden or on the road near my house. I ferry them around , back to their owners or phone for the owners to pick them up , sometimes they have nothing on them at all and I have to Sherlock Holmes the owners or put them in my basement until I work out what the hell to do with them. Sometimes they are injured and I take them to the vets ( vet does not charge me, he is a star). The most depressing part is that they NEVER want to rejoin their owners and I have come to loathe handing them over
The hardest thing of all is hearing them howling across the valley when it's -10 outside and they are lost and hoping somebody will come and find them. Many will stay at the point they started from but their owners just won't go and look for them until the morning... if at all:(
* hate, hate , hate winters here *

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Good for you, Clodagh. Let's hope that the numptie owner is more careful with her in future. We don't have hare coursing round here, that I know of at least. I expect that they are a very rough lot.

Shady, is there anyway you can extricate yourself from life in France? From your posts on here, it does sound like the attraction of the gallic lifestyle has worn off for you.

Shady

Visit site
That is so sad.
We drove 10 miles at 2am one night in thick snow as we could hear a hound calling across the valley. Parked up and set off on foot with torches to try and find it. Took a while but we found him under some trees, they won't always come when you call so we were lucky. Got him home and warm and phoned the hunter in the morning . He told me he was busy and would collect the dog later.....

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
glad you got her home -dont understand some dog owners really.

coursing rife here atm and the farmers daren't do anything for fear of retaliation-one farmer had damage done to machinery for confronting them, they are a really rough bunch.

Shady

Visit site
Good for you, Clodagh. Let's hope that the numptie owner is more careful with her in future. We don't have hare coursing round here, that I know of at least. I expect that they are a very rough lot.

Shady, is there anyway you can extricate yourself from life in France? From your posts on here, it does sound like the attraction of the gallic lifestyle has worn off for you.
Tiddlypom. You make a valid point and I do struggle over here. It's a love hate thing and i'm finding it harder every year to find reasons to stay. The truth is however that I am kind of stuck here as I don't know how I could keep the horses in England. Iv'e also paid 14 years into a pension here and I would like to make certain it is safe before I make a decision to our future. I think I have just had enough of this area. It's very, very rural with seriously rustic people, not a problem in itself but they are mean and ignorant and perhaps if I move I can re gain a little of the love I used to feel for this beautiful country.

skinnydipper

Visit site
We drove 10 miles at 2am one night in thick snow as we could hear a hound calling across the valley. Parked up and set off on foot with torches to try and find it. Took a while but we found him under some trees, they won't always come when you call so we were lucky. Got him home and warm and phoned the hunter in the morning . He told me he was busy and would collect the dog later.....

What a sad state of affairs, Shady. It sounds possible that some of these dogs are "lost" by their owners on purpose:(

Shady

Visit site
What a sad state of affairs, Shady. It sounds possible that some of these dogs are "lost" by their owners on purpose:(
Yes, sadly true. They don't have a lot of time for them if they don't perform properly and remember they only come out for 6 months of the year so many are so unfit they can't cope with the level of activity asked of them and fall behind. Some have trackers on them but most don't. There are so many too , the Chasse have special days where they buy , sell and swap dogs so there's always another easily found for not a lot of money.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Tiddlypom. You make a valid point and I do struggle over here. It's a love hate thing and i'm finding it harder every year to find reasons to stay. The truth is however that I am kind of stuck here as I don't know how I could keep the horses in England. Iv'e also paid 14 years into a pension here and I would like to make certain it is safe before I make a decision to our future. I think I have just had enough of this area. It's very, very rural with seriously rustic people, not a problem in itself but they are mean and ignorant and perhaps if I move I can re gain a little of the love I used to feel for this beautiful country.
Relocation to a nicer area in France sounds like a promising option :).

SadKen

Visit site
I found a small JR cross loose near a busy road. Caught her, knocked doors, nobody knew whose she was. Took her to the vet who checked her chip, the details were out of date. Took her home, posted on social media to try and find the owner, 2 hours later called the dog warden as I had 2 GSDs and nowhere to keep her.

The vet later got a call from the owner who was incredibly aggressive and threatened to break in if they didn't go to the surgery and give them my number which I had left. So the vet gave my number to this aggressive man who began texting me demanding that I pay him for the cost of getting his dog back from the warden. There was also some abuse via social media.

I carpeted the vet, my husband told the guy to sod off, and I will never again intervene if I find a lost dog. Max I will do is tie it to a fence if near a main road and call the cops.

Crap owners. I loathe them.

honetpot

Visit site
I have decided that the best thing to do is to hand them over to the dog warden, around here you have to pay to get them back.
The ones that seem to let them roam are repeat offenders, and perhaps if they have to pay it might make them keep them in.