found the breed of horse I want to buy, but I cant find any...

horsemad101

New User
Visit site
All my life I have always loaned horses and worked with them. Now I'm working full time I've decided it is time to get my own horse, the breed I have decided I would like as I've always found them absolutely stunning is a Gelderlander. When I'm looking to buy I do not mind a project however I would of liked it to have been back preferably. But if it hasn't that isn't an issue as I'm capable of doing this plus I have expert help if needed. Please, does anyone know where there are any dealers that have gelderlanders for sale? As my friends has recently brought one from a man that breeds them, but we have lost the number.

thank you :)

fatpiggy

Visit site
All my life I have always loaned horses and worked with them. Now I'm working full time I've decided it is time to get my own horse, the breed I have decided I would like as I've always found them absolutely stunning is a Gelderlander. When I'm looking to buy I do not mind a project however I would of liked it to have been back preferably. But if it hasn't that isn't an issue as I'm capable of doing this plus I have expert help if needed. Please, does anyone know where there are any dealers that have gelderlanders for sale? As my friends has recently brought one from a man that breeds them, but we have lost the number.

thank you :)

Please be very wary of buying a horse simply because you like the breed. Personally arabs drive me mad, but I know that doesn't mean that all arabs are ditsy. Every animal is its own person and you risk buying something that really doesn't suit you simply because you want "one of those". Please don't take it the wrong way, but would you buy a horse SIMPLY because it was black, or spotted or whatever is your favourite colour? Its no different really. As I remember Gelderlanders (and I agree they are magnificent) are driving horses so they tend to have very high neck and head carriage. This might make riding difficult.

minesadouble

Visit site
I agree with the above. The Vaux brewery local to us used to have gelderlanders and they looked stunning pulling the dray. Someone I know got one as a riding horse and it just looked horrendous. Very high head carriage and knee action to match. I can't see them being anything other than quite uncomfortable to ride.

happyclappy

Visit site
I used to ride two we had on loan, then we bought one. Tdhey are not scarce so I don't understand why you can't find any. Have you looked on Dragon Driving, there are usually some on there, just be careful. Good luck in your search

Edited to say, why an unusual choice for riding? They make excellent jumping and dressage horses, not just good driving horses.

Kylara

Visit site
Just watch out for the legs overly dishing :) Nice horses in harness but personally think they look a little bony out of tack! Know a lovely lot that drive - you should be able to find some good ones about, just remember they do have high set necks and heads :)

littleshetland

Visit site
Possibly the loveliest horse I ever had the pleasure of owning was big, strapping bay Gelderlander. He was an absolute powerhouse of a horse and I managed to get him to advanced dressage. Steph Croxford has done very well with Mr president, and Kirsty Meopham did very well with Dikiloo - both Gelderlanders. My lad was an absolute diamond and I'd probably have another one like a shot if I could find one.

leggs

Visit site
Gelders horses are not just carriage horses anymore, there are 2 streams nowadays, and stallions like Parcival, Koss, Sirius, Wilson, Alexandro P, Negro show that they can compete in the higher regions (even olympics) of the competition field. Depending on the stud they are now bred as allrounders or for driving, 2 mainstreams as you may call it.

to get an idea with pictures;
here a facebook page of gelders horses in NL ; https://www.facebook.com/GeldersePaarden

and a link to the studbook selling list; http://www.kwpngelderspaard.nl/verkooplijst/

Auslander

Visit site
I'm a little confused re the horses mentioned above - afaik Dikkiloo was pure Gelderlander (and Kirsty Mepham said herself that he wasn't the easiest horse to work correctly), but none of the others are - they may have a bit of gelderlander blood (which I don't think is a bad thing!), but their bloodlines are generally filled with a good mix of different warmbloods, Selle Francais and TB. Surely the riding type of Gelderlander was developed by cross-breeding with modern warmbloods?

I'm not anti Gelderlander - I rather like them. However, having ridden a fair few traditional Gelderlanders, I can safely say that they are not the most comfortable, and they find it more difficult to work correctly due to their conformation. Of course there will be exceptions - and exceptions are lovely!

leggs

Visit site
Auslander; you're right, the KWPN has a substudbook which is the Gelder. They are descendents of the "old" driving horses, sometimes pure, but also a "modern" version of the Gelders horse which is bred as an allround horse with the distinct markings of the traditional Gelders horse. They do well in all aspects of competition. You can outcross a Gelders horse with a TB or other KWPN horse and if at 3 they carry the traditional markings of Gelders, you can enter them in the substudbook (basically a more heavier type of horse, with more bone than the nowadays common KWPN horse)

When you say traditional I assume they are the driving horses which are also still fanatically bred in Netherlands. I don't like this type for their ridget back and high head carriage