Foxes & snares

Fairynuff

Visit site
I know that the gnu isnt! Ive been hunting and have had the pleasure(!) of following the same fox for ever before it was dug (Fife Foxhounds). M.

spottysport

Visit site
Hi Mairi
Don't worry about disagreeing with me. If we all thought the same life would be very boring.
I think it's very unusual (and unlikely) that the same fox gets hunted for an hour or more. The weak or sick fox probably gets despatched in no time at all. I think that the hunt provides a service. Can you think of a better way? I know nothing about deer hunting, so can't comment

Clodagh

Visit site
Mairi, would you prefer lamping with lurchers? Might be difficult mounted, though...there are days in Essex when a lurcher would be a lot more fun than a pack of foxhounds. We can't chase anything for an hour, we'd end up in a town.

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
Maybe you have benn hunting and have followed a fox for over an hour. The question is are foxes actually regularily chased non stop for hour(s). Somehow I doubt it.

I've followed deer for hours with my dogs up on Exmoor, I haven't chased them for hours, I'm simply not fit enough and if I was then I suspect they aren't. What happens is that the deer bugger off and then I catch up with them later.

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
Any way if it's chasing an animal for hours that you're against why not just ban that? Why not ban the aspects of hunting you feel are cruel, and leave the aspects that aren't cruel.

Why should it be illegal to scent trail a wild mammal? Are the police really going to prosecute people for doing this? Having a law where much of it is simply ignored by all and sundry is bad for our civic society.

Clodagh

Visit site
I do think that stipulating a time that an animal could be hunted for might be a little tricky...even more difficult to moniter than the current farce!

I have to agree with Mairi...eek...that lurchers can be a lot more efficient. I hate hare hunting with bassets/beagles but used to love watching my lurch course them.

Stag hunting, I have done it twice and wouldn't do it again.

Foxhunting..the fox is a dirty little varmint who deserves whatever he gets, and I have rarely seen a stressed looking fox in 30 years of hunting.

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
The whole basis of the law is that proving something is cruel is 'a bit tricky', so, the argument goes remove the need to prove cruelty and you have an 'enforcable' law. The problem with this approach is that it criminalises things which are blatantly not cruel. The authorities are then left with a choice in these circumstances, they can either prosecute people when there is no real justification, or they can just ignore blatant law breaking.

A good law at least attempts to single out only bad things to ban.

The Hunting Act is meant to be based on cruelty, it isn't, if it was it would make some attempt to test for cruelty. Some early drafts did but the pro ban MPs removed that test.