Foxhill Spencers Wood

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
Millhouse- I went for a run this morning around Whiteknights. I hope it’s ok to post these pictures. I thought it would be a nice reminder for you. Also Lynnfigaro can see what we are talking about. We are so lucky that these buildings are listed, otherwise they would probably be gone. Millhouse I think you will still recognise the locations ( looking down towards the lake and the other side of the lake) I have taken one of where I think the field would have been. Lizzy
Thanks for posting that. Which picture shows where the field would have been?
The area looks lovely and would have been perfect for riding.
As you say it is a good job the buildings are listed or everything would be away by now.
The very first riding school I went to is now a pub, the second has houses built on the fields and the first place where i kept my own horse again has houses built where the stables were. It is sad but the memories are ingrained in the land.

LizzyW

Visit site
Lynnfigaro it would be this one I believe it now has a hall of residence on it. We have had so much new housing in the Wokingham area over the last few years. The field my husband used to keep his horse own is now a housing estate. I guess we need more homes, but would be good to spread them out a bit. Lizzy

Attachments

• 2B4B4016-59A6-4063-AF61-2ADCB5FF63FA.jpeg
    2B4B4016-59A6-4063-AF61-2ADCB5FF63FA.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4

LizzyW

Visit site
Supertrooper- you would be referring to the yard in Spencer’s Wood. In the 60’s David had a Shetland called Dusty.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I’m did a little bit of riding there when I was very little. I want to say the Shetland was called Buttons but probably wrong

I used to be called Ducky cause I had a duck on my dungarees ?

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

Thank you so very much for the photos. I've transferred them into My Documents and have them in a file. I've been able that way to enlarge the images and have a good look.

I remember Foxhill House had scaffolding up when I used to visit prior to leaving Reading, and it was fenced off. You couldn't get near the House at all. Obviously works were in hand. When I first started riding with David I used to ride around by the Lake in front of the House. However, that was stopped - great pity! I'm pretty certain the canopy over the righthand side of the House did not exist in those days, and I'm not sure as to whether the canopy over the door facing the Lake did either, but that canopy looks as if it's been in evidence for some considerable years.

I absolutely love the photo of the old entrance to the Stables. The doors were always open and latched back. We used the covered archway to site the horses for grooming. There were a couple of single storey outbuildings which were situate to the righthand side of the stable entrance, but it appears they've gone now.

The driveway was gravelled, now tarmaced.

I've taken a long look at Photo No.3 which I believe could be what I called 'The Double Field'. The field was on an incline, and I recall University Halls of Residence are now built upon that field. It's got to be it!

Photo No.4 is puzzling for me. Of course the House was so encased in woodland in the years I was there. Now it is completely opened up and looks very different.

The photo of the Lake - which side of the Lake is that taken from? I would say the House side???

Returning to the photo of the Stables Entrance - I've just had another good look, and I think the window/hatch door on the top righthand side must have been the hatch door where we pulled the hay up into the loft over the stable stalls and boxes. I remember helping with that on occasions. That was hard work.

They are lovely photos - thank you Lizzy. I hope you've enjoyed your day.

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- The photograph of the back of Foxhill House shows a glass logia on the left that has been there for as long as I can remember. There is a new conservatory on the left, which looks like a canopy. It looks very smart now as they did restoration work.

The picture of the lake was taken from the back of the house- ( The lake looked beautiful this morning)

The picture which is puzzling you is the the lodge on Whiteknights Road, just as the lake ends. About 300 meters from entrance to the stables. It would have been the entrance to the field if we have it right. I can take more pictures to clarify if you want.

I also remember the double doors to the stables always open. We used to mount the horses in there. I can remember the smell and the clatter of their hoofs on the textured concrete. On the right as you went in was the stalls and two large loose boxes at the end. Maybe the race horse was kept there. Do you remember David’s little jack Russell? Patch I think it was called.

Did you ever go into Foxhill house? As you say there were many trees around it and we were always told to be very quiet when going past it. Only occasionally did we ride down the drive. I remember going out onto the road and riding down to the lodge on the corner of upper Redlands Road. It would be hazardous doing that now!

It is a magnificent house. I have a friend who works in the building dept. I might ask him if I could peek inside once Covid is under control.

let me know if you want any more pictures. I’m always walking over there as I live very close by now. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

Thanks for that! I've just looked at the photo again, and yes of course it would be the Gatehouse at the entrance to the fields. If I remember rightly, the rickety old gate was always open in the days I was there. I believe it was green, and not a deal of paint left on it. The track up between the fields was gravelled, but you could canter up and round to the top of the double field.

Gallant Lad, the ex-racehorse was bought by a fella that was learning to ride with Foxhill. His name was Gordon, but I can't recall his surname. He placed the horse at livery with David. Poor Gallant Lad was in very bad condition when Gordon purchased him. I believe he was due to be slaughtered and Gordon saved him. He had a huge saddle sore on his back (right by his withers).

Old Mr. Goodey (David's Father) took over Gallant Lad's care. We stabled him over in the smallholding, and he was given special food and hay. His condition improved immensely and quickly. Gordon was only a novice rider at the time he purchased the horse, and he was only too pleased to allow us to ride him once he was well again. I remember riding him at full pelt up that gravel track between the fields.

I spoke with a man I worked with some years later. I knew he was into horse racing, and I asked him if he had heard of a horse called Gallant Lad. Yes, of course he had, he was a horse of some considerable note. It's quite unbelievable how that poor horse was allowed to deteriorate to such an extent when he had been so successful in his racing career. Possibly it was down to ignorance.

Always pleased to see your photos Lizzy.

I hope you get to see the interior of the House. I never went in.

Yes, the Stables consisted of the two loose boxes, and three stalls. One really wasn't a stall, that's where Molly resided, and that's where she got up to mischief!!!! Harding the huge flea bitten grey and Bob the grey Cob were stabled in the boxes and Bonny, and it must have been Admiral or Peter, in the stalls. Mainly the horses were turned out after lessons finished, but I do recall one very frosty night with snow on the ground, the horses were rugged up and stabled overnight.

The photo of the Stables from the road - again all the woodland has been cut back, as you simply couldn't have seen the Stables from the road in the old days. You entered into the grounds via an open gate I believe, (may have been a gap between the hedgerow) and then straight up to the Stables under the covered arch.

I remembered a little more today .....
There was a Sawmill at the bottom of Eastern Avenue, in a precinct of shops situate at the end of Erleigh Road. David would take us down with sacks, and we would fill them with sawdust for the stable floors. We were certainly good cheap labour!!! The things you did for the horses!

Where is Whitley Park Junior School? You spoke of this in a previous post. You said you recalled Silver being turned out in a field behind the School. I know where Whitley Park Lane is (behind Cintra Park), as I used to take Bonny up there for riding. I simply can't recall the school.

Millhouse

millhouse

Visit site
Sorry Lizzy, forgot to say .....

No, I didn't know Patch, but yes, you are right, he was a little Jack Russell. I read about David's demise some years after he died, and there was a photograph of him in the local newspaper with a painting in the background of David mounted on a horse with little Patch at his side.

The dog I remember was Basher, the guard dog. He was some guard dog!!! He was kept over at the smallholding. You would NOT mess with Basher!!!!! Nobody would mess with Basher!!!

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
My husband said we have a book between us here -sequel to Black Beauty ?

I have googled Galant Lad and there is an entry about him. I don’t remember him, but I do remember David’s dad. I am trying to remember where all the horses were kept on the weekend, as those stalls were not large enough for them all. Do you remember much about Billy and Silver? The place I saw Silver, was in a field off the Basingstoke Road. Whitley park junior school is quite a bit further down the Basingstoke road near Gillette factory. I guess once David couldn’t use the fields at Whiteknights he had to find grazing elsewhere. Hence why we used to take them to Sindlesham. It sounds like he got good deal with you helping out! It’s the same everywhere kids will do anything to be near horses. If I find anything more I’ll post it. Loved digging into all the memories. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
Yes, he could well be right!!!

I've been looking at some images of Foxhill House, and you are right, the logia was always in evidence. I don't think I took too much notice of the House as I rode by, always wondering if Mr. Kops would come out and catch me. He put a stop to our riding around the front of the House by the Lake.

The House as I remember it.

FOXHILL HOUSE as it was.jpg

millhouse

Visit site
I thought that was where Whitley Park School was. I was just surprised that David had fields there. I attended the Nursery School there when I was very young - 3 years old I think. My Nan was dying and my parents were advised to get me out of the house during the day. I absolutely hated it and being away from my Mother, and they very soon took me away from the Nursery and home again.

My Aunt and Uncle lived two doors up Basingstoke Road from that School, and there was a dairy next door to the School.

It must have been a blow to David losing that environment for the Riding School, but really it simply wasn't big enough. He was expanding considerably as I left. As you said, there simply weren't enough stalls for all the horses, and I imagine they were turned out immediately lessons were over. David only had the three horses when first I went to him - Bonny, Bob & Harding. I think we must have brought the ponies in from their fields as and when they were required for riding. Weekends were extremely busy.

The horses/ponies I recall were, Bonny, Bob & Harding, Peter, Admiral, Molly, Trigger, Rusty, Bud and there was a large dark bay stallion which only David rode (I can't recall the horse's name). I know he had horses in other locations - some for filming purposes. I can't recall Silver and possibly he was purchased as I left.

David was very enterprising and had his eye to business, and he succeeded. Pity it went pear-shaped eventually.

millhouse

Visit site
Hi again Lizzy

This is getting to be a habit!!! I really must go to bed, it's gone midnight.

I've just Googled Gallant Lad again myself. I looked him up some time ago, and there was no entry, but they are improving the Site considerably. I don't honestly believe the entries refer to that Gallant Lad. The name is permitted to be used more than once in racing circles, only certain names are withheld - horses that have excelled in their racing careers (Arkle for instance).

The only entry that made me take notice was a Gallant Lad that was born in 1962. His bloodline was remarkable - I counted five Derby winners in his pedigree, and two of those Derby winners were listed more than once. My feelings are it cannot be the Gallant Lad Gordon purchased, as he would not have been old enough to have raced prior to Gordon having purchased him.

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- yes what will we do with ourselves know we have exhausted our memories! ?

If Galland Lad was gelded then I doubt they would want him sadly, but if the lads don’t fit then it is probably not him.
Another name that springs to mind from those days was Jackie Shonfield( unsure of spelling) She lived on the Basingstoke Road and I think she rode a the stables. I guess Robert would be able to fill in the gaps. Loved sharing with you.

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- yes what will we do with ourselves know we have exhausted our memories! ?

If Galland Lad was gelded then I doubt they would want him sadly, but if the lads don’t fit then it is probably not him.
Another name that springs to mind from those days was Jackie Shonfield( unsure of spelling) She lived on the Basingstoke Road and I think she rode a the stables. I guess Robert would be able to fill in the gaps. Loved sharing with you.
Meant dates don’t find not lads!

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

I'm afraid I don't know whether Gallant Lad was in fact a gelding - no reason to believe he was. These days many flat racers are gelded, mainly to curb their temperament. It is also a fact there is too much over-breeding within the racing industry. There is absolutely no excuse for Gallant Lad having been subjected to such neglect, but I have heard of a number of similar cases of ex-racers, some of considerable note, suffering badly in their retirement. Thank goodness there are now many Charities dealing with the re-training and rehabilitation of these great horses.

I do recall a girl who lived on Basingstoke Road, who rode at Foxhill. She lived over the Fish & Chip Shop which was more or less opposite Acre Road. I can't recall her name, but she was a Friend of the girl that first took me riding at Foxhill. She would have been a few years older than me.

Many thanks to you for reviving 'the memories'. Take care Lizzy!

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- Jackie lived in one of the houses on the Basingstoke Road, just up the hill from the chip shop. Funnily enough my mother knew the people who ran the fish and chip shop and if I remember rightly their daughter was called Ann Pithers. I was quite a bit younger than her, but seem to have a memory of seeing a photograph of her on a bay horse.
You are right about race horses. It is awful the way some are treated. They also jump them when the are far to young. I have a friend who had an ex race horse. He was a difficult horse to ride, once he felt the grass under his hooves he’d bolt! He kept him until he died a few years ago. Take care as well Millhouse.

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

You are right - it was Ann Pithers. The minute I read the name, I remembered. She was fairly short and stocky if I recall. She was a friend of the girl who took me to Foxhill - again, that girl was older than me, Ann Cook. Ann was a neighbour and the Sister of my Brother's best friend. Ann was the girl that let me 'go' on Bonny when she bolted with me through the woods along the driveway back to the stables. David gave her a right ticking-off! Poor old Ann, I know she didn't mean any harm, but it could have been very nasty - possibly best Bonny and I parted company as the branches from the trees were very low and I may have 'carried' my head back to the stables!!! Lol.

No, I don't believe I knew the girl you were speaking of, but possibly by sight. So many you never really got to know that well.

One I did get to know was Jo - Jo Meade. She was the Daughter of the Slaughters, Alf Meade. You will possibly recall seeing their great wagons in and around the town. Jo and I used to get down to the Horse Market when we could. I remember Jo being so upset when David sold Trigger (who was her charge). I can still visualise Trigger ascending the ramp of the horsebox that was taking him away from the Market. Jo was in tears. It was such a pity. Trigger just wasn't a popular ride. The fate of some poor horses!

Racehorse trainers tend to have a good deal more respect for their charges these days, but there will always be the odd one that lets the side down. I suppose that is life in general. It's a pity the breed appears to be losing it's toughness, and seldom now do you see a horse built on the good old-fashioned line. That will disappear completely soon, as the horses that produced the old-fashioned chasers dies off. The majority have in fact gone.

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

You are right - it was Ann Pithers. The minute I read the name, I remembered. She was fairly short and stocky if I recall. She was a friend of the girl who took me to Foxhill - again, that girl was older than me, Ann Cook. Ann was a neighbour and the Sister of my Brother's best friend. Ann was the girl that let me 'go' on Bonny when she bolted with me through the woods along the driveway back to the stables. David gave her a right ticking-off! Poor old Ann, I know she didn't mean any harm, but it could have been very nasty - possibly best Bonny and I parted company as the branches from the trees were very low and I may have 'carried' my head back to the stables!!! Lol.

No, I don't believe I knew the girl you were speaking of, but possibly by sight. So many you never really got to know that well.

One I did get to know was Jo - Jo Meade. She was the Daughter of the Slaughters, Alf Meade. You will possibly recall seeing their great wagons in and around the town. Jo and I used to get down to the Horse Market when we could. I remember Jo being so upset when David sold Trigger (who was her charge). I can still visualise Trigger ascending the ramp of the horsebox that was taking him away from the Market. Jo was in tears. It was such a pity. Trigger just wasn't a popular ride. The fate of some poor horses!

Racehorse trainers tend to have a good deal more respect for their charges these days, but there will always be the odd one that lets the side down. I suppose that is life in general. It's a pity the breed appears to be losing it's toughness, and seldom now do you see a horse built on the good old-fashioned line. That will disappear completely soon, as the horses that produced the old-fashioned chasers dies off. The majority have in fact gone.

Millhouse
Hi Millhouse- I remember those branches in the woods could be tricky. I think you were best off parting company with Bonny that day and then at least you got some good tuition from David. Gosh, poor Jo! I can imagine how heartbreaking that would be. There was a horse at Bearwood Stables called Trigger. He had lost an eye, but it didn’t seem to affect him too much. He was a brilliant pony. If I come across anymore information I will post it here. Please do the same, it’s wonderful reading the old stories. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

Yes, I will post from time to time as I recall further memories.

I vividly remember David would harness up Bob & Harding to one of the larger open carriages on Christmas afternoon (it may have been Boxing Day), and then he would pile us all in and drive around the roads of Shinfield. That was such a treat.

I drove Bonny once in harness in the trap. She was so versatile.

I've always been proud of David having taught me my basic riding skills. Generally you are left to pick it up as you go along.

I've known a number of racehorses with only the one eye - they appear to cope well.

Trigger was Dun in colour, so if by chance it was him, you would know. He was such a gentle lad.

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Millhouse- look what my husband has turned up! This is the picture of Ann Pithers. It has a date on the back 1960. Do you think this was at Foxhill? The other picture is me on Ricky at Sindlesham- my Dad was a hopeless photographer-lol.
The carriage ride at Christmas-4A5CFC4D-CD03-41C2-B705-36CF433A9F13.jpegWhat a treat!

Attachments

• 4B36C698-3879-4E0D-948E-63ECC5EFFC80.jpeg
    4B36C698-3879-4E0D-948E-63ECC5EFFC80.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 7

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
Millhouse- look what my husband has turned up! This is the picture of Ann Pithers. It has a date on the back 1960. Do you think this was at Foxhill? The other picture is me on Ricky at Sindlesham- my Dad was a hopeless photographer-lol.
The carriage ride at Christmas-View attachment 60752What a treat!
What year would the picture of you have been taken Lizzy?

LizzyW

Visit site
It would have been 1964, because I had a rosette the same year riding Bonny. Do you recognise the horse Ann is riding?