Foxhill Spencers Wood

LizzyW

Visit site
Lizzy

The link takes me to a site where you can purchase OS Maps. It shows a section of an OS Map and Whiteknights Park, but you can't get close enough for any detail. I tried everything I could think of, and it doesn't work for me. Never mind!

I may purchase an OS Map of the area.

I'm going to tackle that 2nd Tree now. It shouldn't take long as I haven't got to change the lights.

I'm sorry but I forgot to mention - I know you asked in a previous post - no, I don't believe David ever married (not certain). He had a Housekeeper at some point. I would love to know if Sue is still around in horsey circles.

I think she and David were an item for some years. David used to visit my Cousin's Jewellery Shop to purchase gifts for a 'certain lady' - I presume it would have been Sue. My dear Aunt used to serve in the shop on occasions, and she must have mentioned me to him. She told me whenever he visited the shop he would immediately ask her how I was.

Don't know why David ended his days in Salisbury.

MH
Millhouse- I found if I clicked or held my finger down on the place it came up and there was a little box which I then I clicked oIt won’t be clear enough on the attachment.

David was obviously very found of you, it a shame you didn’t get a chance to see him again. Someone told me he liked the ladies so maybe it didn’t work out for him and Sue. That’s life I guess.

If you are able to scan picture of Bonny sometime I would love this see it- take care Lizzy

Attachments

• 20251849-D872-4FC3-850E-C68E02859D46.png
    20251849-D872-4FC3-850E-C68E02859D46.png
    801.8 KB · Views: 1

millhouse

Visit site
Oh I don't know about that Lizzy, but yes, David was fond of the ladies - good luck to him!

I would love to know how Sue's life turned out.

I'll give that link another try when I can, and see if I can get it to work the way you have suggested.

I won't be able now to scan that b&w photo of Bonny & Perter by the Lake, as it's framed up and that was the only copy. I'll try sometime with some of the other old photos.

You got that tree up yet??? Santa is getting closer!

I've got the 2nd tree up and it looks nice.

Take care,

MH

LizzyW

Visit site
Oh I don't know about that Lizzy, but yes, David was fond of the ladies - good luck to him!

I would love to know how Sue's life turned out.

I'll give that link another try when I can, and see if I can get it to work the way you have suggested.

I won't be able now to scan that b&w photo of Bonny & Perter by the Lake, as it's framed up and that was the only copy. I'll try sometime with some of the other old photos.

You got that tree up yet??? Santa is getting closer!

I've got the 2nd tree up and it looks nice.

Take care,

MH
Millhouse- I hope your Christmas went well and you are well. Look what my old friend has found- a picture of me on Silver and her on Billy! She remembers how we would ride the horses bareback to the field in the evening. Sadly Billy used to stumble and one day fell and broke his leg. I personally don’t remember that.

She also remembers a horse called BowBells. David’s horse who he bought from a lady called Pat Smith. Do you remember? She remembers Bonny too. She said it was Lorna who taught her to ride.
She is going to search for more pictures so if she finds any I will let u know.
Take care Lizzy

Attachments

• D3EE40E8-F6D5-4F60-9137-80B5A5533344.jpeg
    D3EE40E8-F6D5-4F60-9137-80B5A5533344.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 22

millhouse

Visit site
Millhouse- I hope your Christmas went well and you are well. Look what my old friend has found- a picture of me on Silver and her on Billy! She remembers how we would ride the horses bareback to the field in the evening. Sadly Billy used to stumble and one day fell and broke his leg. I personally don’t remember that.

She also remembers a horse called BowBells. David’s horse who he bought from a lady called Pat Smith. Do you remember? She remembers Bonny too. She said it was Lorna who taught her to ride.
She is going to search for more pictures so if she finds any I will let u know.
Take care Lizzy

Hi Lizzy

Just so you don't think I am ignoring you -
I will try and write more later. I'm unwell - not covid related, but a trapped nerve which is badly hampering me. Can't even sit down!!!

Love the piccie.

Don't remember a Pat Smith - are you sure it wasn't Pat Smythe??? lol He moved in such circles.

Take care
MH

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- so sorry to hear that. I had that once it is horrible. The physios gave me exercises to release it. There were lots of yoga one’s. Maureen found another picture of me. We think this is Bonnie. I hope you get better soon.

Attachments

• B1CE6050-F52D-4159-8307-EE9D26AC262A.jpeg
    B1CE6050-F52D-4159-8307-EE9D26AC262A.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 17

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

Thanks for keeping in touch.

I don't think that is Bonny. She was a large pony - 14.2hh (pony horse). That little chap looks too compact. When last

millhouse

Visit site
Sorry Lizzy, I'm struggling to write this with the computer on the bed. It's jumping about.

When last I rode Bonny (circa.1972/3), I can't recall whether her mane had been allowed to grow again. That was over at Spencers Wood.

MH

LizzyW

Visit site
Sorry Lizzy, I'm struggling to write this with the computer on the bed. It's jumping about.

When last I rode Bonny (circa.1972/3), I can't recall whether her mane had been allowed to grow again. That was over at Spencers Wood.

MH
Millhouse

please don’t worry - get that pain sorted out first. I think it must be Robin. He used to be driven by Robert Goody with his old pony Molly. I seem to remember Robin having a sheepskin nose band. Look after yourself and hope to hear from you again once you are better.

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy, Hi 'All'

Hope everyone is well.

Just to let you know I am at long last able to sit for a while, and am using the computer more comfortably. I spent 3.5 months lying on one side of my body wondering if the trapped nerve would ever improve. It's been agony and a very long haul, but hopefully I am getting there.

Any more news on the old Stable Yard Lizzy?

MH

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Lizzy, Hi 'All'

Hope everyone is well.

Just to let you know I am at long last able to sit for a while, and am using the computer more comfortably. I spent 3.5 months lying on one side of my body wondering if the trapped nerve would ever improve. It's been agony and a very long haul, but hopefully I am getting there.

Any more news on the old Stable Yard Lizzy?

MH
Hi Millhouse- so pleased to read that you are feeling better. That was a long time to be in such discomfort and pain. I hope you can get onto your mechanical horse again. I’m afraid I haven’t anymore news. We need someone to ask Robert as he will remember it all. I actually rode again last week. A friend asked me whether I would like to have a go on her Dales Pony. He was extremely comfortable not like the last bone shaker I rode! I really enjoyed it- never know I might get back into the saddle again. Look after that back. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- so pleased to read that you are feeling better. That was a long time to be in such discomfort and pain. I hope you can get onto your mechanical horse again. I’m afraid I haven’t anymore news. We need someone to ask Robert as he will remember it all. I actually rode again last week. A friend asked me whether I would like to have a go on her Dales Pony. He was extremely comfortable not like the last bone shaker I rode! I really enjoyed it- never know I might get back into the saddle again. Look after that back. Lizzy

That's great Lizzy - you riding again! I would dearly love to.

I'll give Dobbin a go when I feel more able, but am just about staggering around on my leg at present. I've just watered the back garden borders as the ground is so dry and the trees and plants look so thirsty. That has absolutely knackered me! lol

MH

LizzyW

Visit site
Millhouse- take it slowly. As I told you before I had a trapped nerve and it was that most painful thing I have ever experienced. If you dig out anything else please let me know. I loved hearing about it. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
Millhouse- take it slowly. As I told you before I had a trapped nerve and it was that most painful thing I have ever experienced. If you dig out anything else please let me know. I loved hearing about it. Lizzy

Thank you Lizzy! Yes, you are right - it is the most painful experience I have ever had, and I've suffered many spouts of bad back pain. This has been awful !

You take care, and 'all' of you out there !

MH

millhouse

Visit site
Managed to upload this very old photo of Bonny and Peter. It's taken on the opposite side of the lake, looking towards the big house.

Attachments

• Looking towards FOXHILL across WHITEKNIGHTS LAKE - Bonny & Peter.jpg
    Looking towards FOXHILL across WHITEKNIGHTS LAKE - Bonny & Peter.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 8

jenni999

Visit site
How fab to find this old thread. I lived in Swallowfield as a child until 1984 when my family moved to the big housing estate on the other side of the M4 :(. I rode at Spencers Wood between about 1976 until 1982 ish I would say. Fond memories whenever I drive past now but obviously all industrial units. Lovely to hear all the old names being remembered.

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Jenni
Welcome to the thread.
I only ever rode once at Spencers Wood (luckily on Bonny, and she could still give a very good account of herself, and be very stubborn and a hell of a handful).
I always found it very upsetting to pass by what once was David's 'world' and livelihood. Just another concrete jungle now!
MH