Fractured vertebrae and riding...

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I had a nasty fall and have a compression fracture to one of the verterbrae in my lumbar spine. After eight days in hospital bed I've been fitted with a back brace and can now walk with the aid of crutches, though admitedly not very well or for more than a few yards. Has anyone had this sort of injury? How long was it before you could ride again?

Sheri

Visit site
I fell off in January and fractured my L2,3 & 4 vertabre so first of all can I say how sorry I am to hear this - It hurts so bloody much!!

I was told to rest and not do anything for 6 weeks to allow the fractures to start healing and fusing back together. I did as I was told (for once) and was back on after two months, I thought it would ache when I rode but it didn't at all.

You really do need to be careful with your back if the fracture moves and pinches a nerve you will start to get numbness and also the nerves around your lumber region control your bladder so you can loose control of them!!

Rest rest and more rest is all I can advise!!

Mind you your lucky they noticed yours!! Mine were missed on my x-ray and I was sent home with ibrufen!!!! Called back a week later to 'discuss my x-rays' and they admitted they were missed by the A&E staff!! I was then too late for any brace.

Last edited:

Cobsndogs

Visit site
I feel so sorry for you, as I know how much it hurts. I fractured L1 and L2 a few years ago, and was advised not to ride for 6 months, although the healing time was about 8 weeks.
Unfortunately mine was missed by GP and hospital for 3 weeks ( as apparently seeing as I walked in ,albeit with my face pointing to the floor , I couldn't possibly have broken anything !!, so was refused an x-ray). By the time it was picked up on the healing process was underway so was too late for a brace.
I did do as I was told though, and followed advice about riding, not sitting for too long, no crossing legs when sat , went to physio (and did the exercises).
I also went to Bowen Therapy for about a year, which I found really beneficial, as I also suffered quite badly with breathing probs, due to lots of muscle damage.
Have to say riding doesn't have any effect on it now, and didn't right from the start, if anything I think it helps, as I still suffer intermittent pain, but from other things like sleeping funny or standing up for long periods.
Anyway here's wishing you a troublefree and speedy recovery x