Fragile foal syndrome

twofatladies88

Visit site
How sad - I have never heard of this (you never stop learning). It must have been devastating for all concerned, having bred my own and been there for the births, I am so lucky to have had stress free foalings.

ihatework

Visit site
Over the last couple of years awareness has been raised significantly in sporthorse breeding.
Any decent stud is now testing stallions, and mare owners should follow suit - they have where my young horse is kept.

It’s actually a far more common mutation than you might imagine, the stallion of my young horse (Balou du Rouet) is a confirmed carrier as is another sire of a couple at the stud (Cristallo). We really need to work hard to breed this out.

be positive

Visit site
Over the last couple of years awareness has been raised significantly in sporthorse breeding.
Any decent stud is now testing stallions, and mare owners should follow suit - they have where my young horse is kept.

It’s actually a far more common mutation than you might imagine, the stallion of my young horse (Balou du Rouet) is a confirmed carrier as is another sire of a couple at the stud (Cristallo). We really need to work hard to breed this out.

Are the stallion owners and studs actively encouraging the smaller breeders to test their mares, it is not something I know anything about although I see it takes two carriers for it be be an issue but do we really need the carriers in the gene pool at all, or is it so prevalent that we cannot cull them all?

ihatework

Visit site
Are the stallion owners and studs actively encouraging the smaller breeders to test their mares, it is not something I know anything about although I see it takes two carriers for it be be an issue but do we really need the carriers in the gene pool at all, or is it so prevalent that we cannot cull them all?

To an extent, yes. The bigger names are all advising of WFFS status and advising mare owners to test. Honestly, I would imagine most hobby or 1-2 mare owners won’t test and will just choose a negative stallion. Anyone serious with a long term breeding program would be a fool not to though, this could be bred out in 2-3 generations.