France

Follysmum

Visit site
Can anyone give any recommendations of where is a nice area in France to keep horses. Needs to have excellent hacking and be warmer than uk . Asking for a friend who needs to relocate to a warmer climate .

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Worth contacting Rollin, Casey or Shady on here (There are others too, whose names escape me at present). I think Richard Rider is prob too far north as he's in Normandy.
Your friend will need to research farriers and vets as these can widely differ for treatment and visits that she'd expect in the UK. Also feed costs and stockists too.

If I were moving, I'd be going to the borders of Herault and Languedoc - just north of Carcassonne and to the West of Bezier, but that's because ive spent time in that area over the years :)

joosie

Visit site
"Needs to relocate to a warmer climate?"
I am not being judgemental or argumentative here but genuinely interested why someone would "need" to live somewhere warmer? If it's because they have bad Reynaud's then tell them not to bother... it doesn't work, I tried ;)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I am not being judgemental or argumentative here but genuinely interested why someone would "need" to live somewhere warmer? If it's because they have bad Reynaud's then tell them not to bother... it doesn't work, I tried ;)

My arthritis improves when temps are warmer, my husbands breathing improves in warmer climes, so we are looking into relocating when we retire :) Most likely South of France.

Follysmum

Visit site

Friend has bad arthritis and she definitely improves in warmer climates, is so much worse when it’s wet and cold.

sunnyone

Visit site
Have only just seen this. We live in Lot-et-Garonne. Winter was yesterday, quite literally. It started snowing about 11.00 a.m.it settled, and then melted. By 15.30 it had totally disappeared. Nearer the coast they had 15cm. snow. Today is 14 degrees! Spring is definitely on the way.

It has rained a fair bit this winter, and we have had to scrape ice off the car twice, so our hay is going on the ground rather than muddy our field shelters and risk mud fever, but nobody here has heard of it!

Climatewise it is generally like South Dorset but plus 4 or 5 degrees.

Southern France is good for my health (I can get pneumonia at the drop of a hat) but the horses need grass, which the Mediterranean climate does not always provide. We avoided the Carcassonne area because of the Tramontane winds which blow off the Pyrenees. These are cooling in summer but wicked in winter.
One of the best tips I could make is to watch the heights above sea level. Definitely stay below 100m.but not so low that there is a risk of flooding.