Frankie dettori

fankino04

Visit site
So Facebook is full of keyboard warriors saying that frankie needs to retire after some bad rides at ascot this year, and some before ascot too. What do you guys think? Is he past it now? Or are his "bad days at the office" just noticed more because of who he is? He certainly seems to be making more bad calls than in the past and isn't doing himself any favours in how he speaks about others.

Trouper

Visit site
Would be very interested in @Elf On A Shelf's view on this. I don't have any race riding skills but he always worries me the way he gets closed in on the rails by others and seems to be relying on a gap opening up - which may or may not happen especially when others are surely not going to give him any help!
Yesterday at Ascot AP McCoy, Jason Weaver et al were all very complementary about him and his skills so maybe there are just good days and bad days - but I did feel for Stradivarius' owners on Thursday as there won't be another chance to equal Yeats' record in the Gold Cup.

Visit site
To be honest I only watched the Gold Cup at Ascot, I haven't watched anything else as I have been I'm Iceland. But I couldn't not watch that race.

Yeah he was caught on the rails but from his stall draw, unless he took a mighty tug, dropped him stone cold last then came up the outside a wee bit there wasn't really anywhere else he could go to start with. No gap opened for him. Usually in a race of that length on the flay especially gaps appear when horses stamina gives out and they back peddle. But no one did. He didn't get his gap so he had to go wide at a late stage. Every jockey rode their own race, no one made room for him - why would they? That would impede their horses race. They all stayed straight and true (like the lad at Ascot the other year that Dettori had a pop at for not making room for him). It wasn't the worst ride I have ever seen a jockey give but it certainly wasn't the best. The fact that he blamed Stradivarious's age annoyed me. The way the race tactics panned out beat him and its the jockeys job to make sure the race pans out to their own best possible route.

Should he retire? I don't think so. He has been brought down a peg or two again this week by being out ridden, out thought and out started by the other jockeys. They aren't all kids, Ryan Moore is kicking on in years these days too. It think it's his cockyness more than anything he needs to tone down again.

tristar

Visit site
at least he got well clear and did not interfere with the others, unlike the ridler who ran right across everyone and really upset the grey, strad lost ground by going clear and wide, i did not see any other way as a gap did not open and he was drawn on the inside anyway and well penned in, so cannot see how he is at fault.

thought he rode superbly in the coronation towards the end, balance supreme, a lovely sight

all that adrenaline makes an hot blooded italian spout off, but good for him, better than giving yourself ulcers

wonder if anyone blaming him ever rode a race with all that pressure, with all the myriad of possible conundrums that could happen

and anyway that horses as anyone who has competeed in any comp knows, good day s bad days

but think the ridler was well out of order

fankino04

Visit site
Just watched the Dettori documentary, it's well worth a watch even if I do get annoyed when films or docos don't just run in a straight chronological order.