Free to good home >>

scrunchie

Visit site
Would you be able to use him to drive? Or would that mess his back up further?

Not that I want him - just trying to find a possible use for the poor lad.

Brandy

Visit site
I knew a tb mare with a very bad sway back, who was ridden and jumped with no ill effects, I'm not sure if it was as bad as this but it WAS pretty bad. Can't remeber the details of saddle fitting but know that I rode her a few times - which I wouldn't have done if I thought there was an issue.

frankie8

Visit site
At the riding school I learnt in, there was a sweet mare there called Jess. She was a sway back, yet she used to be ridden perfectly happily. She also loved her jumping. She eventually went to a retirment home, but not due to her back, it was because of a problem in her back legs.
She wasn't the most 'correct' horse to look at but she certainly seemed happy enough and is still knocking around to this day, must be getting on for 30 now.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
There is a big difference between a congenital sway back (born that way) and a 'slipped' back (not born that way).

With the congenital sway you could ride as long as you were careful with saddle fit and a light rider plus regular check ups of how the horse is coping and is the spine getting worse or not.

A 'slipped' back should not have extra weight on as it would make it worse and the internal organs are often compromised because they are squashed out of their normal place as the back slips.

A sway back is weaker than a roach back.