Freelance grooms need a rant!!

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have attempted to contact no less than 5 freelance grooms including 2 that have helped me before. Not one has had the courtesy to reply to either Voice mail or follow up text. All I want is a welfare check on 2 horses at grass for 2/3 days so not onerous. The rate of pay is good and if wanted as cash will be paid in cash. Not like I want turn out, muck out, rug changing and feeding. It is a job that can be slotted in around other commitments. Next door neighbours will also be keeping an eye on them!! OH has had a very torrid time before and after his fathers death so I want to get him away for a very short break so he can recharge his batteries and have some time away.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Well it's just rude and not a great way of maintaining or building a good reputation as a freelancer. A polite sorry I'm not available takes no time to do.

I hope you find someone. Can the neighbours not do it for a few bottles of wine?

Velcrobum

Visit site
Well it's just rude and not a great way of maintaining or building a good reputation as a freelancer. A polite sorry I'm not available takes no time to do.

I hope you find someone. Can the neighbours not do it for a few bottles of wine?

Looks like it is going to be next door. I have no issues with asking them as they owe a multitude of favours to us, it is OH who is baulking at asking them hence looking for a freelancer to calm him a bit!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Years of this, not being able to get anyone reliable and hence never ever going anywhere, and now I've sold up and have my horse with a friend who is the ultimate in loveliness and helpfulness and it's like a whole new way of life! I really feel your pain.

I had one who failed to tell me she was actually going away for a wedding from the Saturday morning to the Sunday afternoon of the weekend she was meant to be doing the yard, and another who (having been booked for months) decided to go to England and I only found out because her brother who was a Facebook friend of mine posted that he was going to hers for the weekend to look after her dogs and horses :mad:

I'd stick with the neighbours!

PoniesRock

Visit site
As a freelance groom myself I’d always make sure I message back, even if it’s to say that I’m too busy/dont have any availability.

Unfortunately I would imagine that just a ‘welfare check’ properly isn’t financially worth doing unless it’s for someone who you’d normally work for. Time wise if it is half a hour each way for a 20min job it just doesn’t pay. And unfortunately given the time of year I’d imagine most freelances have work coming out their ears, however it takes a minute to reply to your messages so that is naughty!

Visit site
I have attempted to contact no less than 5 freelance grooms including 2 that have helped me before. Not one has had the courtesy to reply to either Voice mail or follow up text. All I want is a welfare check on 2 horses at grass for 2/3 days so not onerous. The rate of pay is good and if wanted as cash will be paid in cash. Not like I want turn out, muck out, rug changing and feeding. It is a job that can be slotted in around other commitments. Next door neighbours will also be keeping an eye on them!! OH has had a very torrid time before and after his fathers death so I want to get him away for a very short break so he can recharge his batteries and have some time away.

whereabouts are you based?

chaps89

Visit site
We’re not all bad I promise ;)
But that is just bad manners not to reply, even if it’s a quick sorry no.
If you post where you are, maybe someone on here can help or recommend someone?

Velcrobum

Visit site
As a freelance groom myself I’d always make sure I message back, even if it’s to say that I’m too busy/dont have any availability.

Unfortunately I would imagine that just a ‘welfare check’ properly isn’t financially worth doing unless it’s for someone who you’d normally work for. Time wise if it is half a hour each way for a 20min job it just doesn’t pay. And unfortunately given the time of year I’d imagine most freelances have work coming out their ears, however it takes a minute to reply to your messages so that is naughty!

I contacted very local declared freelancers within 10 miles and offered to pay £25.00 per day for a welfare check that does not take many minutes to do certainly not 20 minutes! They are rugged and have hay sources scattered in 5 acres of land. Not an onerous job at all. I also contacted local livery yards that advertise holiday livery same non response. I am very disappointed as some were approached via The British Grooms Association adverts.

PoniesRock

Visit site
I contacted very local declared freelancers within 10 miles and offered to pay £25.00 per day for a welfare check that does not take many minutes to do certainly not 20 minutes! They are rugged and have hay sources scattered in 5 acres of land. Not an onerous job at all. I also contacted local livery yards that advertise holiday livery same non response. I am very disappointed as some were approached via The British Grooms Association adverts.

I think you’ve been unlucky to have a selection who haven’t replied ☹️

As much as you say it’s not a 20 min job it may end up much more than that if someone has to deal with a horse who has cut itself/got stuck in their rug or something that suddenly requires the vet in which case £25 doesn’t cover the cost of a freelancers time. And like someone else said, one of the few perks of being self employed is the fact they set the rates of pay.

SO1

Visit site
Maybe might be easier to get a house sitter for a few days if the horses are at home. Do you have any friends who might do it or have some young adult children who might want some extra cash for a few days.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I think you’ve been unlucky to have a selection who haven’t replied ☹️

As much as you say it’s not a 20 min job it may end up much more than that if someone has to deal with a horse who has cut itself/got stuck in their rug or something that suddenly requires the vet in which case £25 doesn’t cover the cost of a freelancers time. And like someone else said, one of the few perks of being self employed is the fact they set the rates of pay.

If there’s a problem, that meant it wasn’t a quick check, I’m sure Velcrobum was intending to pay for the freelancer’s time. Eg if vet visit took extra time etc.

honetpot

Visit site
I think it's the time of year. I use a freelance, she does dog walks, and house sitting as well. This time of year she gets people wanting her to bring in, so she only has a short amount of time between her morning yards, dogs walks and evening calls. She has stopped working weekend unless you are a regular. She has a new job starting next spring and I have no ideas how I will replace her, she has been 'doing me' for four years

Ratface

Visit site
Having been an experienced freelancer in another trade, I would imagine that whilst some of the humans and animals for whom the service is required are sainted souls, a large number are not. The hours paid for in no way allow an acceptable level of care and attention. In a worrying/dangerous situation, if you're unable to get in touch with the owner/person hiring, you end up having to re-jig the entire day and inconveniencing a number of other clients. As well as yourself.
Over the years, I have only ever used one freelance groom to help me with my horses. She was 100% reliable in all respects. I appreciated her skill and commitment with the "challenging" welfare-case horses I always seem to end up with, and paid double her rate. I could afford to, and she certainly deserved every penny. Helen, if you're reading this, it's you!