Freelance instructor?

zoe_1210

Visit site
I’m curious to know how feasible being a freelance instructor is, and what kind of money they make? And where would you start with training and qualifications?

I am a teacher in a secondary school and have been for 5 years. I love teaching but I’m just finding the behaviour and lack of engagement from kids challenging. I was thinking of a career change to pursue being a freelance instructor. I’m aware I’d need to invest a lot of time and money in studying for equine qualifications. I have been riding for 25 years and bred, backed and trained my own horse and compete at BE90.

Has anyone studied alongside work? Or managed to even cut down on the day job and pursue being an instructor on the side?

EventingMum

Visit site
To be brutally honest, it can be hard going to make a decent income. In your shoes I would look at BHS exams, your level of competition experience wouldn't be suitable for becoming a BE development coach as they are coaching the level you yourself are at and people usually want to be coached by people with experience above their own level (no offence meant). Possibly look at what opportunities there are in your area for PC and RC coaching as well as any riding schools. To fill in gaps between coaching you could look at freelance grooming and exercising. Good luck!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I suspect that there is a huge difference in how much instructors make depending on how in demand they are. I know one charging £60ph and won't take a booking unless there is 4 hours in the same place and is fully booked. Others are charging £25 for 45 mins and come out for a single booking. I see one posting about lessons starting at 6.30am. Add in bad weather and its certainly not a cushy job.

You need to factor in insurance, transport, holiday and sick pay - often see people working with injuries that an employed person would be off with.

Have you looked at the ukcc route, I think that is quicker and cheaper than BHS