Freelancers and notice periods

chaps89

Visit site
If you use a freelancer on a regular basis (5 times a week for about an hour a time) and no longer need to use them at relatively short notice, how much of a 'notice period' do you pay them for? I pay monthly if it makes any difference. Unsure if I should pay an extra week or extra month. We didn't discuss this previously so no point asking what we talked about when the arrangement started!

Last edited:

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I think it partly depends how long you have used them for.

If they have been working for you for a very long time then I think paying the month would be kind.

If you have only used them a few months then just a week.

chaps89

Visit site
Food for thought. I've been using her for about 2 and a half months, although I've known her alot longer
(She was my freelancer with my old boy and then I liveried with her for a while until her yard closed. We moved to a different yard but recently moved to a yard back in her area, hence using her again)
I'm pretty sure if I asked her she'd say nothing which is why I'm posting here, as equally I don't want to over do it and pay an extra month and make her uncomfortable but I do feel bad not doing anything at all (horse being pts hence no longer needing her and lack of notice)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Depends if you want to be able to use her again.

Freelancers rely on knowing what work they have/money they have coming in. I'd give her as much notice as you can/pay her a bit extra, in case you might need her again down the line.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
If you like her a lot and can afford it I would just pay the month, but as you've only been using her 2.5 months I think 1 week would be appropriate.

Most people wouldn't pay any notice I think. Being a freelancer is quite a tough gig.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would not expect you to pay anything under those circumstances, I would be embarrassed taking the money from you. If you gave me money, I would spend it back on a gift I think.

It is lovely that you are thinking of your freelance groom.

I am sorry that you are losing your horse.