Freezemark / Microchip?

Do you use a studguard?

• Total voters

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I was at Stow fair this year....I was chatting to a local police inspector there about stolen horses. He told me that if a stolen horse is microchipped the thieves will scan the horse themselves, locate the chip and, where possible, they dig it out.

They then explain injury away with 'it knocked itself in the field, stable, whatever'.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Would not bother with the micro chipping as had a very bad experince with 2 dogs loosing their chips twice!

Also one day I found a pony in my field. No owner , no freeze mark - no idea whose it was. Spoke to RSPCA - they won't come out to scan, Police not interested, vets will come out but charge. Happa don't have a scanner!!! Farmkey / Freezebrand would have helped with a freeze brand but I was just left with the pony. Took several days and the skill of Sherlock to return him.

I have never seen a scanner in use at the sales - and that includes some of the better sales such as Malvern. If a horse has a freezebrand you can ring someone and find out whether it has been stolen. With a chip you have no idea it is there.

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
I've booked for freezemarking on 18th November as we've had really strange goings on at the yard. Caught some guys photographing some coloured horses on our yard, they took off but we got reg number. It was for a hired car from Birmingham
frown.gif

Police aren't that bothered and said it's not suspect but I'm not taking any chances.