Freezemarking - do you keep up the membership?

Chumsmum

Visit site
Hi All

I had 3 of my ponies freezemarked last year but haven't renewed the membership this year yet, it's not that much money really but I seem to have bills coming out of my ears atm
crazy.gif

Do you renew the membership as you think the recovery service the companies offer is worth the money or do you just hope that the fact they are freezemarked will deter thieves or if they are stolen, contact the police, Horsewatch groups etc yourselves?

Thanks for any replies
smile.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
I recently enquired about having one of mine freezemarked and the lady who does the marking said i'd have the option of joining the membership or not. She said most people did the latter.

I wouldn't join TBH. I think it's expensive enough to have the marking in the first place, without paying a retainer.

Chumsmum

Visit site
That's interesting and makes me feel less guilty
tongue.gif

I've got another pony that needs freezemarking so would rather spend the money getting that done rather than membership for the other three.

Thanks for reply.

D

Donkeymad

I do, you have the backup of Nationwide notification from a source that has all the correct connections to do so quickly and easily. Not much point having the Freezemark if you can't tell the ports, sales etc immediately (and without the hassle of doing it yourself whilst you are trying to find said horse)

Theresa_F

Visit site
I do and I paid for 4 years membership when I had mine done as it was cheaper. They were very good when Cairo died and had 4 years left and transferred this to Farra who also had his personalised number.

As donklet says, one call to them gets all the ports and authorities notified. They also pay up to £5,000 reward for information and £150 transport recovery costs - well worth the £10 a year if you buy 4 years at once I think.

Angua2

Visit site
I do, every year a one payment and I know if my girl goes awol that it won't be just me looking for her. It is a comfort to know that the right people will be notified on my behalf.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
By keeping up the annual membership you are keeping your contact details updated. This means that you can be found straight away such as if your horse escapes or is found having been stolen without you knowing it has been stolen.

False economy not to keep your annual registration updated.

One of the advantages of freezemarking is that anyone can see and read a freezemark thus making it far easier to identify a stolen horse and also the contact details of the owner.

I would also suggest that you ensure that your horses are registered on the National Equestrian database (NED).

When horses are stolen they usually move long distances and through many different peoples hands within the first 24 hours so it is important to be able to identify the horse and find the owners.

wormhugs

Visit site
I had a sudden panic about this last year as it occured to me I haven't done anything about this for years. Phoned Farmkey and was told because he was done years and years ( and years) ago, my one off fee at the time has covered him for life :)
Totally pointless addition to this thread, but it made me very happy... :))

p.s. edited because I couldn't spell!