Freezemarking or Microchipping?

Parkranger

Visit site
What is your preference for your horse and why? I'm moving towards microchipping but don't know much about freezemarking....

Thanks

Scoopy

Visit site
My boy is Microchipped, but who really checks a horse when you buy it to see if its stolen, i had my chip checked and took ages to find it, i am really thinking of freeze marking him as well, as that really does put thief's off !

the watcher

Visit site
This seems to come up once a fortnight on average, my own view is that freezemarking is best, you don't need any equipment to read it and it is is a proven system in terms of crime reduction

parsley

Visit site
Got my two freezemarked a couple of weeks ago. The reason I choose it was that I think it is a more visable deterrent - if they were stolen and sent through the markets a freezemark can be easily seen whereas not many markets scan for micro chips. If either of them had had a freezemark when I bought them I would have at least checked with farmkey that they weren't stolen wheras it never occured to me to check for a chip. They are both registered with farm key who will offer a reward for their return and text polices forces, markets and everyone who has signed up with the service with a brief description and the freezemark of the horse.

The downsides?
well of course it does "damage" the horses coat
Bomber was none to pleased about it and still gets jumpy if anything touches his back that side (he is fine with the saddle)
Freezemarks can be altered if someone is willing to keep them long enough for the coat to regrow.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I have been involved in the recovery of a number of stolen horses and the biggest problem is identifying them. A freezemark can be read by a Policeman.

Get your horse both Freezemarked on the shoulder (so that it can be seen when being ridden out) and also get it microchipped.

That way if it gets stolen you have got a far higher chance of getting it recovered.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Can I also say that ther are about 5 different micrrochipping systems the scanner of one will not read the microchip of the other. This is a big problem.

eekmon

Visit site
I have a freezemark on his shoulder, I have also seen them 'work' when some horses were found straying on the roads and the police put them in our yard, a few phone calles later and the owner was traced!
smirk.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have both on Chancer - freezemark - easily seen and read by anyone. Microchip - cannot be altered. For the sake of an extra £25 to have the chip as well as the freezemark, for me, it was a no brainer - got it done at the same time as his jabs, vetting and gelding when I bought him.

Cairo is freezemarked - twice as his old mark had grown into his ever increasing grey area and could not been easily seen. Am going to have him chipped too when his jabs are due.