Freezemarking - when?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Is there a best time of year to have a horse freezemarked?

I'm sure there must be but then I think in winter rugs would rub it, in summer the flies......
confused.gif

Rhyn is microchipped but TBH I don't think that's actually worth the money I paid for it! Decided it's time for a visible deterrent, although why anyone might want to steal him is beyond me
wink.gif
wink.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
I had one done in the winter before and it wasn't a problem. I expected it to go all scabby and sore but it didn't at all. Tiny bit scabby after a week or so but no hair fell out so no danger of it rubbing under rugs.

JAK

Visit site
I found the same as lzt - last one we had done didn't go scabby or sore at all! (Was a hairy brute of a thing, with the hide of a rhino though! LOL)
I guess it depends on the individual horse's skin etc. but I was quite surprised at how little effect it had tbh!
Maybe mid to late autumn when the flies are not so bad but before he needs a rug on would be best?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Yeah, I was thinking about then.

He'll have it on his shoulder which is where the rugs will rub though, if they do at all.

Can they be ridden as normal if you don't have it done on the saddle patch?

The other thing is - sedation!! I can't imagine Rhyn letting someone do that to him without sedation, will I need to get the vet out at the same time? And painkillers, can't imagine it doesn't hurt for ages after
confused.gif

allijudd

Visit site
we did ours around about march april when the rugs came off and the flies hadnt started ...but thats a bit late now...although i must say that they didnt get scabby or anything including the tb types.....