Freezing ? temperature this week

racebuddy

Visit site
Hi everyone i love the fact that its dry but its so cold braved three days riding and working all weekend So night off tonight , looking at the wheather dodnt think he will be having anything done with this wheather hopefully be able to long rein X treadmill at the weekend xx

Attachments

• AE034E19-D4E0-46C9-BCA6-9D10FF05AC90.jpg
    AE034E19-D4E0-46C9-BCA6-9D10FF05AC90.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 51551F7B-17A6-4E1F-BC4D-D9812B5A0A85.jpeg
    51551F7B-17A6-4E1F-BC4D-D9812B5A0A85.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 17C0C3BD-7862-4737-9308-0FB25B691DF9.jpeg
    17C0C3BD-7862-4737-9308-0FB25B691DF9.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 18
  • C06BE3D1-C9EA-4030-9ADC-00C90AEF0BF1.jpg
    C06BE3D1-C9EA-4030-9ADC-00C90AEF0BF1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 14

southerncomfort

Visit site
We are still under snow here ? and more forecast for today.

Have had to cancel the vet for the third week in a row as their is no way he'll get up our ungritted hill.

wiglet

Visit site
No riding for me this week. We have snow and the lane out of yard to the hacking is icy so not worth the risk. We do have an arena but, it's frozen. Roll on Spring.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd give anything to ride at the moment :( desperate to be in the saddle, and around us it's chilly (-2, real feel -6) but surprising lack of ice or snow. Ho-hum. Share horse has an indoor school so will get half an hour bobbing about on Thursday at least.
I've not ridden since Sat. Too blooming cold Sunday and yesterday, tracks out have gone from bog to concrete ruts or frozen solid puddles and I'm not yet bothered about walking round the block, brr!

chaps89

Visit site
I've not ridden since Sat. Too blooming cold Sunday and yesterday, tracks out have gone from bog to concrete ruts or frozen solid puddles and I'm not yet bothered about walking round the block, brr!
Must be bad if you're not riding, thogh they hardly sound like good conditions for it. Trying to tell myself even if I had something to ride I wouldn't exactly be doing alot given the conditions! Unfortunately I'm being grumpy because I suspect the weather will ease up before madam is back from her holiday ?

Tash88

Visit site
What are you all doing about turnout this week?

My horse was out during the day from about 8am-4.30pm but we are in Surrey and it's going through a very cold snap, it's about 2 degrees above freezing during the day (with further snow today) and going down to -7 tomorrow evening so it isn't thawing out at all. The ground has gone from wet (we are on sand and it's still wet, with some drier patches and very wet around the gateway), to concrete ruts, some are pretty deep. Hacking is dangerously icy and the arena is frozen solid unfortunately. I haven't turned out today as with work I can't go to the yard more than twice a day so I walked in hand and hand grazed this morning and will do the same this afternoon, I always feel like I'm doing the wrong thing but I don't want my horse messing about on hard ground, and he's more likely to mess about when it's cold and the grass is covered in snow, as he has limited interest in hay when he's in the field. I just want to keep him safe and happy, I'm not one for wrapping horses up in cotton wool but sometime difficult decisions have to be made.

Thanks

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
What are you all doing about turnout this week?

My horse was out during the day from about 8am-4.30pm but we are in Surrey and it's going through a very cold snap, it's about 2 degrees above freezing during the day (with further snow today) and going down to -7 tomorrow evening so it isn't thawing out at all. The ground has gone from wet (we are on sand and it's still wet, with some drier patches and very wet around the gateway), to concrete ruts, some are pretty deep. Hacking is dangerously icy and the arena is frozen solid unfortunately. I haven't turned out today as with work I can't go to the yard more than twice a day so I walked in hand and hand grazed this morning and will do the same this afternoon, I always feel like I'm doing the wrong thing but I don't want my horse messing about on hard ground, and he's more likely to mess about when it's cold and the grass is covered in snow, as he has limited interest in hay when he's in the field. I just want to keep him safe and happy, I'm not one for wrapping horses up in cotton wool but sometime difficult decisions have to be made.

Thanks
I'm also in Surrey on sandy but very sodden ground. I spent a lot of time on Sunday morning getting warm by treading in the then almost frozen ruts in gateways, and on the Sat afternoon I went round smoothing or treading divots in.
Much easier and level now to walk on as it's set concrete.
I'm turning out between 7.30 and 8, bringing in between 4 and 5, plenty of hay in the field shelters if hungry.

Tash88

Visit site
I'm also in Surrey on sandy but very sodden ground. I spent a lot of time on Sunday morning getting warm by treading in the then almost frozen ruts in gateways, and on the Sat afternoon I went round smoothing or treading divots in.
Much easier and level now to walk on as it's set concrete.
I'm turning out between 7.30 and 8, bringing in between 4 and 5, plenty of hay in the field shelters if hungry.

I wish I had done that too! The thing is there are just so many ruts in my horse's field and it froze almost overnight, was pretty impossible really. Sounds like you've done a fab job though so well done! Would it be worth doing some treading in now if I can to make it a bit more even for when the ice thaws?

Unfortunately I don't have field shelters, just natural shelter. I just feel bad for my horse but it's only for a few days.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I wish I had done that too! The thing is there are just so many ruts in my horse's field and it froze almost overnight, was pretty impossible really. Sounds like you've done a fab job though so well done! Would it be worth doing some treading in now if I can to make it a bit more even for when the ice thaws?

Unfortunately I don't have field shelters, just natural shelter. I just feel bad for my horse but it's only for a few days.
I'd def spend some time treading in. It's a regular thing I do, especially if B has had a ? in her bonnet and cut a paddock up, gets the slide marks or divots level again :)