Frog problems - please caould anyone advise???

LJK

Visit site
Firstly - apologies for being useless at posting - I have lurked for some time and not posted much at all, not that I don't want to talk to you guys - just never know what to say or someone always says what I would say first (when folks ask for advice/opinions) and I don't want to appear 'parrot like'
I promise I'll try harder in future

Anyway - enough ramble, I am a little confused as to what is up with my mare, she is lame and has been for a couple of days but I have not been able to find a thing wrong with her foot or leg, no heat, swelling, nothing to see or feel at all. Last night I was picking out her feet when a huge flap of frog separated peeling back from the point backwards, a real thick section but still attached at the heel end and it looked a bit soft underneath, I was horrified with myself as I thought how could I have missed this but I swear it was not like that before, no smell either so I don't think it's thrush
confused.gif
she let me give her foot a good scrub with a hibiscrub solution and I left it at that. Any ideas what it could be - can you get thrush without the smell/gunk? and if it does not hurt her to have it scrubbed/picked out etc would it cause lameness?
Any advice greatfully received.

LJK

Nailed

Visit site
To be honest, frog is not as delicate as people think and big chunks can be removed without there being pain caused. Thrush is always smelly and with the black gunk so i wouldnt think it is thruch. She may have an absess coming or something. Speak to your farrier or vet and they will advise.
Lou x

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Sounds like just a old bit of frog sluffing off, probably due to the wet weather we have been having. My friends mare lost about 1/4" thickness across the whole frog in one go once. She was so worried she kept it incase it needed to be stuck back on!!! LOL I really wouldn't worry if not tender.

Sounds like the lameness may be unrelated. - Could be wrong and happy to be corrected as I'm not a farrier or vet.

Tempi

Visit site
bits of frog come off archie's all the time, its nothing to worry about, my farrier just neatens them up when he comes.

i cant think that would be causing the lameness. is the hoof hot? have you had your farrier out to check him over? when was he last shod?

LJK

Visit site
Thany you both for your prompt responses and reassurances - my initial thoughts on the lameness were stiffness in the shoulder - possibly the onset of arthritis (she is 13yo) but walking in hand gently did not loosen her off much so I thought OK, she has probably pratted about/slipped in the field and pulled something - give her a few days box rest and see....then this froggy thing happened and I started to wonder.
Should I just leave this flappy wedge of frog alone or get it trimmed off?

LJK

LJK

Visit site
Oops sorry Parisienne Girl - did not mean to miss you out - must have cross posted.
No heat in hoof of heel or frog, not had farrier out yet, she is unshod as not in work at the moment and she has really tough little hooves - trimmed 4 weeks ago. I am fine with bits of frog sloghing off but this is a really big flap.
I'll be caling the farried and the vet tonight I think - oh heck ££££££££

Theresa_F

Visit site
Flappy wedges of frog - I either pull them off or use a special trimmer I got from the farrier.

Cairo used to have huge chunks come off, lot better since he stopped wearing shoes.

As long as there is no blood or really bad smell, I would not worry.

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, I agree with posts above being that if there is no blood or no smell, then I shouldn`t worry.
Ask your farrier to check her over for the lameness as I always ask my farrier before the vet as he is very wise and experienced with legs. He is always right.
A corn or an abcess could be the cause??
I hope you get it sorted, good luck.