From canter to stand quickly? + teaching flying changes.

squemma40

Visit site
Hi all! I've trained my Irish sport horse to play polo, he is doing really well and I'm so pleased with him but just wondered if anyone had any tips for teaching quick changes from canter to stand in order to change direction as I don't want to jab his mouth in doing so (plus this is one handed). I also need to teach him to flying change but as soon as he goes onto the other rein and is then on the wrong leg he speeds up and loses balance. Thanks.

GTs

Visit site
crazy.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Either buy or borrow the video/dvd dressage for showjumping by Richard Davison. This covers the flying change & how to teach the horse to do it correctly. He shows how to get the horse to change both front & rear together legs. He also shows how to turn quickly without losing power. It's well worth a viewing.
smile.gif

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Have you tried using a neck strap to teach halt, rein back and downwad tranisitions?

Chris Bartle has a new book out (i don't have it though) and i know he always uses one for training.

i've taught my boy to pull up on one, and you could easily do that with one hand.
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
Novice polo players teaching horses to become polo ponies is never a good idea - pay some argy to get him/her going.

squemma40

Visit site
Thanks I'll try and get hold of it off t'internet sounds just like what I need. Iain I've got an argentinian coach and he says I've done well training him the neck reining and hitting the ball he said you don't need a pro for that bit. Then I'll get him to improve his turning and riding off ... hopefully!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Since you're not really after dressage flying changes, the simplest way to teach a flying change (in my experience) is over a pole in the middle of the ring. Ride a figure of eight with the pole (or very low crosspole) in the middle. As horse pops over, shift your weight to the outside and apply rein contact the way you want to go. Of course horse needs to be balanced and same goes for canter to halt. No good just hauling on mouth (but I'm sure you won't do that
smile.gif
)