From DIY to Part Livery

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Has anyone done it? What have been the issues (if any) that you have found?

Its an option I am considering at the minute but I have always been DIY. I did briefly put a horse on full livery for a few months (to help as he was on box rest and work was a nightmare) but we moved quickly as she failed to give him adequate hay throughout the day (she ran out more than once), insisted on giving him Alpha A feed when I asked he be given a small handful of happy hoof just as a token - he was on box rest!, and also when I went to visit I felt like he wasn't my horse, like I couldn't just bring him in and groom him. I felt like a spare part.

Anyone had similar? How did you find going from doing all jobs 5 days a week to only 2?

Shay

Visit site
I've had some on part, some on DIY and one on full - many at the same time. You need good communication with the yard and a trust that they will do what you ask - or have very good reasons for not.

I did feel a bit of a spare part to begin with with the one on full. I was very much brough up with the concept that if you could not care for your pony yourself you could not have one. Pony in question was a competition loan and the owners paid the livery bill so DD could compete him as a 128. We did have to remind folk that he was actually ours not a yard pony for all and sundry's kids to play with. (He was super cute!) But good clear two way communication is at the heart of it. Not only from us to the YO and staff but also listening to what they said to us.

We didn't drop days becuase there were always multiple ponies to do or to ride. DD is now at Uni so a much smaller string!

Floofball

Visit site
I did it once - I loved it! Only part livery but you could choose your 2 days. The yard and staff were fab, horse was very happy and after a couple of weeks I relaxed and just enjoyed it. So much more freedom and time, hubby loved having me about at weekends, especially being able to have lazy Sunday mornings ? the time spent with my horse was much more enjoyable and productive even though I still enjoyed the 2 days when I was up twice a day, did his bed how I wanted, turnout etc. Unfortunately the yard closed suddenly - one weeks notice but that’s another story! If I had to go back on a yard now I would definitely look for part/full livery - getting too old now for diy ?

Myloubylou

Visit site
I do part over winter and then go assisted in late spring. I go every day still on part but spend time grooming/riding/therapy rather than chores. Agree it does need good communication, also some part livery is very prescriptive can only be on certain bedding and food. Mine is jobs only, everything else provided by me which gives better control

flying_high

Visit site
If at the right yard, that get the basics right, and care about the horses, it is great. If not it is more stress than DIY. Gives me flexibility with work and more time to groom / ride / rehab / massage etc. And I don't need to worry re hay / feed / bedding delivery etc.

cowgirl16

Visit site
I really like Myloubylou's arrangement - this would suit me perfectly! I've been on DIY all my horse-owning life - and that's a very long time! My poor old body has had enough, and this wet winter has made the work 100 times harder. I have to say though - the thought of relinquishing control to someone else fills me with dread, and it will be very hard to do. We are very short of decent livery yards in my neck of the woods too, which makes the decision to change even harder!

Sprat

Visit site
I went part about 3 years ago. Initially, it was really weird, I did feel a bit of a spare part. I found it most difficult adjusting feed quantities as and when I felt like it, it all had to go in the book rather than me just faffing around like I would have done previously.

I'm so happy on part livery now, I don't think I could ever go back to DIY. I moved to part due to health issues, and I tend to travel a lot with work so part takes the pressure off.

Agree with other posters, you have to have trust in YO / yard staff, or it wouldn't work. I know that my mare will be well looked after, and I genuinely don't feel I have to worry, but I know friends who have been on part livery elsewhere and it went horribly wrong.

I think if you find the right place, with the right people, these types of yards are worth their weight in gold.

wiglet

Visit site
I think it's all about finding the right yard.
I went from DIY to full livery (well, some would call it part - everything done except riding and tack cleaning) three years ago. The first yard I tried didn't work for me. Not enough feed, hay or turnout. High turnover of staff and my horse found it unsettling because she was handled by so many different people.

The next yard was brilliant and I'm still there now. Nothing is skimped on - top quality hay/hage, branded feed, lovely deep beds that are mucked out thoroughly - no deep litter here! Turnout everyday, lovely arena with talk of an indoor very soon. Hacking is fantastic, no roadwork necessary. The horses are all treated well and with kindness and understanding BUT, I never feel like she isn't mine. I am free to bring her in, ride, groom, wash - whatever without anyone saying I can't.

If you wish to be more hands on - turnout, muck out or bring in, that's fine too. The only thing YO insists on is that they all get fed together so you're not allowed to go into feed room, make up a feed and give to your horse which makes sense - horses start kicking the doors if their next door neighbour gets fed and they don't!

I would say go for it, just do your homework and find a good yard that suits you and your horse.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
It was bliss! I was always on DIY til I moved yards, and the ‘minimum’ package my new yard offered was part livery (although they now offer assisted DIY). It meant I could have a stress-free work day without worrying my horse wasn’t getting looked after. It was that good I moved up to full livery last summer!

I still visit, groom (even though grooming is included 3/7 days) and ride pretty much everyday, and my horse always whinnies at me and doesn’t seem to love me any less than he did when he was on DIY. Like others have said, it gives you more time with your horse rather than doing the chores.