From Foal to Full Grown!

UnaB

Visit site
Sorry, stole the thread title from our favourite book lol!

I was looking through my photos of Ava earlier and it is amazing how much she has changed the last 4 years. Thought I would do a thread to show her off! :D

Ava was homebred - my very first foal - out of a graded Friesian mare. Sire a beautiful Knabstrupper stallion. She turned 4 years old this past May and has just been broken and now started hacking out.

Here is how it all began! Just born - 25th May 2012 :D

IMG_0334.jpg

8 Months:

1year - First show!

18 months:

2 years:

ih1w6b.jpg

Last autumn - 3.5yrs

And now up to date - 4 years old:

She is, of course, not entirely finished growing and will fill out lots im sure. But its amazing to look back over the change in her :D

Last edited:

UnaB

Visit site
Thank you all! I think we need to see photos of the other 2012 babies progress too!!! 😊

She is passported bay blanket spot. She is likely varnishing though which means she will get more and more white over the years. Next summer I expect her to be more roan 😊

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
She si really lovely :) Interesting to see her breed cross too as I have a gelding of unknown breeding who is very similar in shape to your girl, I have always wondered if my lad had knabstrupper in him (he is varnish roan too)

UnaB

Visit site
She si really lovely :) Interesting to see her breed cross too as I have a gelding of unknown breeding who is very similar in shape to your girl, I have always wondered if my lad had knabstrupper in him (he is varnish roan too)

Could well be! Depending on the type of course, knabstruppers can be quite chunky horses. Ava's father is a proper old fashioned type so had plenty of substance so I think crossed well with the friesian. It has worked well for what I wanted in that she is a chunky girl but has the elegant movement of the friesian but without the exaggeration (so she is more comfortable to ride!! Haha!!).

They are a wonderful breed. I have been a fan of them for many years and was so happy with how this cross worked out.