From stabled to living out in winter - things to consider

Jingleballs

Visit site
I'm moving house in November & due a baby in December. Horse is moving too and I've found a lovely new yard where he can live out all winter in a nice well draining field with hay when the grazing starts to struggle & flowing water.

He's a cob, likes being out in all weather as long as there is something to eat. In the 8 years I've owned him he's always been stabled at night in winter purely due to the lack of all year turn where we currently live.

Y/O will check on him daily and feed etc as required as I won't always manage up every day immediately pre and post baby.

The field is a wee bit of a walk from the yard but not too far and you can actually drive up to the field gate and there is a safe off road area to park/groom/tack up.

I'm lucky that I'll mostly be able to go up during the day to check on him - even if it's a case of just driving up with baby in care and giving him a quick check.

Having never had a horse live out all winter before with no access to a stable (although could arrange something in an emergency), what do I need to take into consideration.

I'm thinking mud fever/thrush might be an issue so going to have to make sure his legs are regularly covered in pig oil and was thinking of using something like this for his feet - https://redhorseproducts.com/shop-2/hoof-care/field-paste/

I'm also thinking a powerful torch and maybe something like dobson & horrell equibites to make sure he gets all the vits he needs or maybe some sort of mineral lick.

He'll be left unclipped and rugged if needed as the field doesn't have tonnes of shelter.

Anything else I'm missing or need to take into consideration?

windand rain

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 365 days a year and love it
Never had one with mud fever probably wont now as the land we are on now is gently sloped and very sandy so drains well
Unclipped he shouldn't need a rug at all but it depends how warm he is Rugs tend to upset the normal way the coat works as they flatten the hair. As long as he has enough to eat he will be fine. Equibites are good and if he enjoys them will be a welcome addition to his hay if not a small feed with a vitamin and mineral additive will be appreciated and easy to give in a few minutes

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks all - yes he'll have the company of 4 other horses in about 10 acres.

Luckily there are 2 or 3 field gates so you can pick which one you use so they don't all get poached.

I have a head torch somewhere but not used it in years so will need to dig it out and check the batteries!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Head torches are a godsend

This!!

My loan mare lives out in winter, but she does have a field shelter next to the stables the others are in.

So long as he has plenty to eat, his belly will keep him warm. Obviously if the weather is really chilly or wet, he may need rugging.

7 day mud away, a decent dandy brush and a curry comb will be your friend.

Enjoy, I bet he will love being out!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you intend to rug make sure you have spares, and check them every day for rips and fit.

Torch is a must.

Thrush shouldn't be an issue, mud fever might be, you'll have to play that by ear.

You need to know how the hay is going to be fed.

Is there sufficient shelter?

Is there a stable if you need it?

Club together with your field mates to by a field block (mineral block in a bucket).

How good is the grazing, and is it being rested now in preparation for winter?

As soon as you stop riding, stop grooming to allow oils to develop in the coat.

Cut the tail short, to the hocks. This will stop it dragging in the mud. And let the mane grow wich will assist with warmth.

Last edited:

Jingleballs

Visit site
Hay will be fed from a ring feeder - they make their own hay at the yard and it's pretty good.

There is some shelter at the bottom of the field although the top is a bit more exposed but there is somewhere from them to get away from the elements and stabling would be available if needed.

Grazing is fab - it's been rested all summer although he's put a few calves on it just now.

Good tip re the tail - he has a really long, thick tail so I'll do that. Didn't know about the grooming thing - I stopped riding about a month ago but have been attacking him with the shedding blade every day as he's shedding like crazy just now.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you've stopped riding him now, a qick flick with a brush won't hurt. But you really do want to allow his coat to develop without too much interference.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If the field is wet in winter I found the field paste was a waste of time, it was gone in minutes. Summer it stays on in a dry field but when it is wet mud it just washes off.

Luci07

Visit site
Everything that was wintering out was always fed up beginning of August, to carry a little extra before winter. If your horse is going to be properly roughed off I would try to stay away from rugs as much as possible. When my mare started off winter living out, I found that she could really change quite quickly under her rug so it really was imperative to take off rugs daily and really check. I have seen a few grass liveries who end up not checking under or just resetting their rugs.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks for the tip about the field paste! I'll maybe not bother with it then!

He's already carrying a bit more weight than I'd like due to not being in proper work for a couple of months and not in any work for the last few weeks so he'll have plenty of condition coming into the winter.

I always check under rugs - he usually lives out to about December so if I'm not taking rug off completely I'll properly check underneath.