From stabled to out 24/7: Attitude change?

Dizzle

Visit site
How would you expect a horse’s attitude to change from being out 8-9 hours a day and fed haylage to being out 24/7 and eating hay?

When I had my horse on loan he was really brave, but he had a much higher workload that he does now, I’m hoping that being out in the field is going to chill him out a bit, he’s by no means difficult but he can be a bit too fresh sometimes!

Vindaloo

Visit site
Funnily enough I have just heard from the lady who bought Dougal from me and she has changed his routine from out all day and in at night to out 24/7 and she says that he is a totally changed horse. He was never a nutter by any stretch but could have a buck when the mood was on him to act up and he could be a bit spooky.

Apparently since he's been out he has completely chilled out, is far more attentive when ridden and is a dream to have around. She is absolutely thrilled with the change in him, he's 17.1hh IdxTB and was just to big to be putting up with any of his shenanigans. Reformed character by all accounts.

So, with luck, you'll find exactly the same with yours.

noblesteed

Visit site
Yep mine completely changed him whole attitude when he was turned out 24/7. Went from spooky bargy stresshead to chilled out donkey... Unless it's windy of course! Then we still have plenty of fun!
Over winter he is stabled overnight on hay and still remains calm-ish. Much better than when he only had an hour's turnout at the livery yard anyway!

Cocorules

Visit site
When I switched they just seemed more relaxed in themselves and to be honest so was I. No real change in behaviour as such but both good before. That said youngster used to scrape her hoof in frustration but does not now whether in stable to be groomed or waiting to go out after farrier or in field waiting to be fed. They still go in a stable daily but only to be given a brush over so still used to routine of going in. I love it. My OH says I am more relaxed about them too and he normally would not notice that sort of thing at all!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
i only have 1 who has ever been stabled livery style, when i got her she got turned out 24/7 and to me seemed ok with it, it wasn't until her old sharer came to visit and nearly cried with happiness at how relaxed and chilled the big girl was that i realised how OK she really was lol. apparently she hated being stabled and it made her so tense that she almost hated to be touched, she would twitch her skin like a fly was annoying her, now she doesn't:)

Mickeymoo

Visit site
lol Cartman, our old cob chases rabbits.

Well ours go mad to get in, yes, they love going out, but if they are out too long they are demons to lead back in. :eek:

TigerTail

Visit site
The two who share my field say they are so much more chilled, one was getting to the point of biting over the stable door, the other windsucks dreadfully and it would take 2 people to turn her out.

The thing you have to watch is the herd dynamics, learn where yours is in the pecking order and be aware of the boss coming up and moving yours when you are in the middle as they will have to get out of the boss's way etc

Mine is bottom of the pecking order and if the above happens she then goes and moves one of my dogs just because she can - dont let them start moving you though.

We often find outs playing with a mole carcass or dead rabbits. They take umbridge to the little critters!

Puzzles

Visit site
Ours are always more relaxed - they burn off more energy walking round in the field, but above all it's just the perfect fantastic mental calmer. It doesn't mean they're necessarily better behaved in EVERY way, but they are all far more chilled.

BigRed

Visit site
I also believe the size of their field affects their behaviour. I have a small half acre paddock, if my horse spent very much time in there, she would be bright and sharp. She really appreciated being in the bigger, 3 acre paddock, which she could have a whizz. She was quite different when she was out in a bigger field.

pennyturner

Visit site
I also believe the size of their field affects their behaviour. I have a small half acre paddock, if my horse spent very much time in there, she would be bright and sharp. She really appreciated being in the bigger, 3 acre paddock, which she could have a whizz. She was quite different when she was out in a bigger field.

I agree. All ten of mine are out 24/7 on 12 acres of watermeadow. 3 are entire. The whole lot are so completely laid back, and ride from the field confidently and quietly. In contrast, at least one of the geldings turns into a turbocharged nightmare if you keep him in overnight.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Mine have all lived out 24/7 for some years now, after being in at night, and it really suits them.

BUT.....the negative side of it....if any of them need to be stabled through injury or illness they turn into utter stressheads, and then the rest of the herd get stressed and anxious because one the their number is missing. It's just something to be aware of, it's worth keeping up a bit of a stabling routine, even if if they are in just for an hour or so...I wish I had!