Frontline Spot On Or Spray For Mites?

ISHmad

Visit site
Does anyone know if you can use the spot on Frontline for mites rather than the spray? My friends cob is stamping like anything, rubbing himself on is water trough and all sorts. She mentioned putting the spot on stuff on him but I've never heard of people using that before, only the spray.

Theresa, you kindly sent me your PM some time ago which I've copied and e mailed on to her btw. So that's another person you've helped!

suzi

Visit site
Mites? Does he have lice?

My Dartmoor that I inherited came with lice and it's been a nightmare trying to get rid of them as he'd hardly been handled. I've used louse powder all over and managed to bath nearly his whole body with special shampoo the other day but he's still got them.

No idea if you can use a spot on - but would be interested to find out as it could solve my problems too!!

Django Pony

Visit site
Spray works better IMO. Even better than that is an injection called Dectomax (not the Ivermectin one the evet does). It's not licensed for horses, only sheep and cattle, but Jasper's had it and it has worked beautifully. You can buy in in Farm shops, my YO gets it for me as she has sheep. I will be injecting him 3 times a year. My farrier uses it on his hairies and he has guaranteed he will be mite free!

almrc

Visit site
As said above, the injection I have heard works well, but I wouldn't use it as its not licensed, so if anything happens to the horse, its because its not licensed. I have heard about using front line so watching this thread with interest. Of course, are the legs fully clipped too?

cbmcts

Visit site
I think you need the spray which is a POM unlike the spot on which is available OTC. There is an extra ingredient in the spray which of course, I now can't remember :eek:

Small animal vets will usually hand it out without any problems as long as you (or a friend?) has a dog or cat registered with them.

PS. Don't tell them it's for the horse :)

ISHmad

Visit site
Her horse is a traditional cob with full feathers. She believes it is mites, not lice, as he isn't scratching anywhere else but doing lots of foot stamping and rubbing on the water trough.

I'm just not convinced you can use the Spot On stuff rather than the spray. Not sure why, just got it in my mind that it is more powerful than the spray. I'll mention re that injection too, thanks.

ISHmad

Visit site
Cross posted with you cbmcts. Thanks for that information, I'll pass it on. Told friend to join HHO herself but she's not keen as thinks it's a scarey place!

tiramisu

Visit site
I injected mine with dectomax on the recommendation of my vet ;) no its not licenced for horses but it worked a treat, and if it was licenced for horses my bets are it would be a lot more than a tenner!!

fabulous_fi

Visit site
the vet will give the cob a wee jag and it is soooooo much more effective than anything else...more expensive tho but totally better

hope that helps?

my mate had tried everything with her clydesdale and the wee jag was effective quickly. quick relief is worth the money.....nothing worse than a constant itch

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I personally wouldn't use dectomax unless the vet gave it to my horse so I would have some kind off come back if things go wrong. You will not be able to get it from a local farm shop if you tell them it's for horses. If it was ment to be used on horses they would state so.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
It does sound like the problem is feather mites rather than anything else, as he's stamping his feet, that's a dead giveway.

The best thing to do is to clip the legs and keep them clipped, and then you could try, in the first instance, applying Sulpher & Pig Oil mixed up. You need to shampoo the legs first tho' in something like Hibiscrub or an insecticidal shampoo so you're applying the mixture to a clean area. I've heard people on this forum say this is a really good solution to the mite problem.

I've used Spot-On on my cob. I put a little bit into a pipette thing, and put a spot on each heel, top of the tail, the withers and the poll (he gets sweet itch too), and in his last home this apparently was good for both sweet itch and mites.

My vet prescribed a double dose of Ivermectin, but I'm not too keen on repeating this too often TBH.