Frost and laminitis

asmp

Visit site
My horse had laminitis for the first time year and (touch wood) has made a good recovery as it was caught early.

Now I'm aware that frosty grass can bring on another attack but I was wondering how other people cope over the winter? We will be bringing the horses over night soon but what do people do if their horses live out all year round?

And what about when the horse is stabled over night and there is frost on the ground first thing but you're working all day? Do you leave the horse in all day (at my small yard everyone else works too) or put out with lots of hay?

holeymoley

Visit site
Frost is only an issue when the grass is 'stressed'. Ie. its been warm enough the day before to allow it to grow and generate new sugars (temperatures above 7c) and then effectively freeze the new sugars made overnight. Or if your horse is the type to hoon around on hard ground it can bring on concussive laminitis.

Personally I don't treat any different. He may go out marginally later but not much. I've never had a problem with it. I've always made sure he has some hay before he goes out so he's got something in his tummy though so as not to gorge.