Full grills on stable doors and idea's?

bellaboo

Visit site
My girls have recently had to move into stable where i have to walk through one stable to to the other ( if that makes sense! )
They were ok to start with although was abit concerned about my mare, Liz, as she does like her own space. Normally my 2 year old, Bella, respects Liz's space and keeps out the way when people are around and at feed time, but now all the girls do is fight! They try and bite each other, and Lizzie always ends up kicking the wall at Bella. I had been bringing Liz out the stable as soon as i get there, but last night they must have had abit of a disagreement as Bella has skinned her back leg on the cannon and further up near her stifle, quite what happened i don't know, but a friend found the hair that Bel had lost by the door, so guessing they were fighting again
frown.gif

Have thought about putting a full grill up on the stable door that looks into the other stable but feel like whichever horse goes in the corner is almost caged in? can't have them fighting all the time, one of them is seriously going to damage themselves soon, any idea's?
Have added a pic so you get the idea, Liz is the grey in the front stable and Bella, you can just see her black head in the corner stable.
DSC01619.jpg

black_horse

Visit site
mares like to have their own space to get away from member of their 'herd' you are forcing htem into each others personal space without their own will power, and in taking their ability to decide where they want to be, tensions build. a curtain over the wall between the two stable may allow the mares a chance to get away from the other. adjustment may take some time but grills may only exacibate the problem.

Tinkle

Visit site
I was going to say - could you put the one who likes her own space in the furthest stable? That way she can walk away from your youngster who might be happier being able to look out over the yard and therefore may not bother your older mare so much.

I agree a full stable grill would not be ideal but then it doesn't seem ideal having one stable leading through another. If you're stuck though I'd try swapping and see how that goes.

x

bellaboo

Visit site
If i had it my way they would never have been stabled like this, but as i am the only person on the yard with two horses so it was me who had to have these stables
frown.gif
. I would cover the wall between the two stables but this makes the corner stable VERY dark
frown.gif
i may try swapping them over tonight. Unfortunately these are the stables i have, no one would swap with me so i really need to come up with something if i can
confused.gif

Maizy

Visit site
I've just moved my horses and the stables have fixed grills - I've never really liked them before but have found them great to stop the bickering that goes on between my two!

I can see your dilemma about putting one in the far stable though; it would make it rather pokey. Your situation reminds me of having to share a bedroom with my older sister, could you try a chalk line and 'play nicely or no tea tonight' approach - sorry, only kidding!! I hope they resolve their difference soon, 2 years old can be rather annoying to older horses at times!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I wouldn't have agreed to move in the 1st place. Its pure greed on the YO part that an extra stable has been squeezed in. I bet you don't get a reduction in rent for having a worst stable.

bellaboo

Visit site
I didn't really have much choice, and no i don't get a reduction
frown.gif
I can't change the layout or move stables so just need idea's on how to work with what i got

Tinypony

Visit site
Cover up the whole of the grill between them. If you get a piece of thin hardboard even the most DIY-averse among us can put a few holes in it and fix it to the top and sides of the grill with some baling twine. (I know, I did it for my mate's stable). That will give the girls the choice to be able to retire into a private area. Not all horses like to be able to see each other all the time.
grin.gif

Spyda

Visit site
Try swapping them round. Putting the grey into the back will allow her to interact with Bella when she chooses to, and will let the baby look out onto the yard. Good luck, hope this helps.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Put a bar across the grey stable - diagonally across the doors so she can't get to the door/ a stable door guard would do - so just need to screw clips on, and agree with putting the hardboard up between the two. I hate grills between horses as I have found that lots of horses hate being overlooked when eating/sleeping etc. Actually if you put up a stall guard diagonally across both doors it would keep them further away and also mean you could get either one out first. rather than having to take the grey out first everytime.