Full lameness workup

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Hi all,

My gelding is going for a full lameness workup next week. He isn't obviously lame at the moment but has had 2 previous episodes of lami (and is being managed for this). When ridden, even before he had lami, he occasionally "loses" a hind leg under himself, stumbles, tail swishes...lots of little things that individually aren't a huge deal but together add up. The frequency of these increases the more he is in work. He is in super light work at the moment but am finding myself more and more reluctant to ride him, hence why he's off for a full check up - I want to enjoy riding and not feel worried I might be hurting him!

I guess my question is pretty wide ranging: if you've had a full lameness workup on your horse/pony, what did it show for you, if anything?

Thanks!

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Ive had a few lameness workups and hock arthritis was found in both horses and SI issues in another.
Have you had physio/chiro?
If the vets find a problem area they usually do nerve blocks then x ray the area

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Thanks everyone. We had the workup done yesterday which showed he has chronic proximal suspensory desmitis in both hind limbs, with severe damage in both legs - left worse than right. The suspensory ligament in the left hindlimb was massively enlarged, with no space between it and adjacent structures from 3 to 10 cm distal to the tarsometatarsal joint, suggestive of adhesion formation.
My options are basically to either pts or try the neurectomy and fasciotomy surgery with the understanding that if adhesions are present, the surgery is much less likely to have a successful outcome.
I am utterly devastated but have opted to try the surgery - he is the best pony and he deserves a chance at recovery, no matter how small. Trying to stay positive but very weepy today. Surgery is booked for 5th August.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
So sorry that it's not better news OP, well done for getting the investigation done. Horses hide things so well. I'll keep everything crossed for the surgery.

Thank you, much appreciated. I am almost constantly praying to the horsey gods at the moment!! It is so very difficult when he is standing in the yard stuffing his face and acting his usual self - you would never guess there is something wrong!

Have they mentioned the likelihood of possible SI issues with the PSD?

Yes they have, and checked for SI issues but nothing of significance was found. He did have reduced range of motion of the thoracolumbosacral region but this was vastly improved with right hind perineural anaesthesia of the deep branch of the lateral plantar nerve so she didn't feel it needed further investigation at this stage.

Birker2020

Visit site
Thanks everyone. We had the workup done yesterday which showed he has chronic proximal suspensory desmitis in both hind limbs, with severe damage in both legs - left worse than right. The suspensory ligament in the left hindlimb was massively enlarged, with no space between it and adjacent structures from 3 to 10 cm distal to the tarsometatarsal joint, suggestive of adhesion formation.
My options are basically to either pts or try the neurectomy and fasciotomy surgery with the understanding that if adhesions are present, the surgery is much less likely to have a successful outcome.
I am utterly devastated but have opted to try the surgery - he is the best pony and he deserves a chance at recovery, no matter how small. Trying to stay positive but very weepy today. Surgery is booked for 5th August.
sorry it wasn't better news. It's always much better to get the diagnosis, no matter how poor as you know what you have to work with then.

SO1

Visit site
Sorry to hear that PTS sounds very extreme if he was not showing obvious signs of lameness. If the operation does not work could he not be retired on pain relief as it sounds like he might be field sound.

Hopefully the operation will work.

foxy1

Visit site
Heartbreaking, I'm so sorry.
I'd recommend having a look at Tom Beech Facebook page for some information about rehabbing psd.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Thank you all, the shock has worn off a little bit now and trying to stay positive now. Where there's life there's hope, right? (don't answer that lol, my positivity will crumble at the slightest thing at the moment).

Now thinking ahead to his 2 weeks box rest post-surgery. He is on a diet and lami-prone so need to think of some things to keep him entertained while he's on box rest without triggering lami or ruining his diet. So far I have come up with:
  • Stable mirror
  • Radio
  • Jolly ball (which he already has but ignores lol)
  • Soaked hay in his hay ball (which we are already doing, he's a piggy!)
  • Milk cartons on a rope hung from stable ceiling for him to flap around
I'm struggling to come up with much that isn't food related. Any ideas gratefully received!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Update for anyone who's interested:
Rehab is going well, we have been hand walking for the last 5 weeks (in our paddock, with a chiffney - he can't be trusted on the road!) and we have just started walking him over poles as per his rehab plan. He is being reassessed by the vet at the end of next week so fingers are firmly crossed.
In fairness to him, he's been wayyyy better on box rest than I thought he would be, apart from kicking his door to death at feed times he's been super well behaved...I suspect it massively helps that I go out every 1.5 hours to give him tiny portions of hay lol. Also that his little companion comes to visit him/groom him over the door which is very sweet.
Cautiously optimistic at the moment - and very curious to see what his new scans show. Fingers are firmly crossed though the thought of doing ridden walk outs is scary (he's a ticking time bomb on hacks usually - hoping that was pain related and not...you know, him being him!) and slightly concerned about it getting dark so early the further we go into the year. We will cross that bridge when (if?) we come to it! Picture of the gorgeous boy because he's so beautiful ;)Danny 1.jpg

Sprogladite01

Visit site
I'm late to this thread and I'm glad things are going well, but I wanted to say what a great owner you were to spot that your lovely boy was in trouble even though there was no obvious lameness. I hope your dedication gets the result it deserves.
Aww thank you, that's really sweet of you! He's my first horse and I only bought him last November so it's been quite the ride lol

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Thank you, the vet was very happy with his progress - he has lost weight without losing muscle, he was stiff but no longer lame in the back which we aren't worried about given he's been in a stable for 8 weeks!
He's now allowed back out in a small paddock so will start strip grazing the winter field in the next few days - once it's stripped down to the bottom I'll put a track system in to keep him moving.
He gets a few days off now and then we can start hacks and walks in the school - the vet has said a variety of surfaces is key at this stage. To be continued for the next 6 weeks to 3 months before we can start upping his work assuming all goes well.
Relieved is not the word! :D

greenbean10

Visit site
Thank you, the vet was very happy with his progress - he has lost weight without losing muscle, he was stiff but no longer lame in the back which we aren't worried about given he's been in a stable for 8 weeks!
He's now allowed back out in a small paddock so will start strip grazing the winter field in the next few days - once it's stripped down to the bottom I'll put a track system in to keep him moving.
He gets a few days off now and then we can start hacks and walks in the school - the vet has said a variety of surfaces is key at this stage. To be continued for the next 6 weeks to 3 months before we can start upping his work assuming all goes well.
Relieved is not the word! :D

My horse is currently being rehabbed after N&F surgery too so will be following this closely!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I've just caught up with this thread and what a lovely owner you are to have listened to your horse.

I'll look forward to updates and really hope it continues to go well for you xx

John885

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

My gelding is going for a full lameness workup next week. He isn't obviously lame at the moment but has had 2 previous episodes of lami (and is being managed for this). When ridden, even before he had lami, he occasionally "loses" a hind leg under himself, stumbles, tail swishes...lots of little things that individually aren't a huge deal but together add up. The frequency of these increases the more he is in work. He is in super light work at the moment but am finding myself more and more reluctant to ride him, hence why he's off for a full check up - I want to enjoy riding and not feel worried I might be hurting him!

I guess my question is pretty wide ranging: if you've had a full lameness workup on your horse/pony, what did it show for you, if anything?

Thanks!
If it seems to only ever crop up under saddle, I’d be getting an equine physio out to look at her. Many musculoskeletal issues don’t necessarily show up on x rays, or have the same impact out in the paddock.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
If it seems to only ever crop up under saddle, I’d be getting an equine physio out to look at her. Many musculoskeletal issues don’t necessarily show up on x rays, or have the same impact out in the paddock.

Yes we are under a veterinary physio already, and she has given us some exercises to do in conjunction with his rehab :) he also has a chiro come out to him regularly. Next due to have a chiro session and saddle checked before starting any trot work as he's lost a significant amount of weight (intentionally, he was a fatty) and I'm sure it's changed how his saddle fits.

My horse is currently being rehabbed after N&F surgery too so will be following this closely!
Wishing you all the luck in the world! The rehab for us was horrid as my boy has only ever been a kids pony so never learnt any manners before coming to me - can't go anywhere without him in a chiffney and even then it's touch and go whether he'll listen to you! I hope your horse is much politer for you lol!

I've just caught up with this thread and what a lovely owner you are to have listened to your horse.

I'll look forward to updates and really hope it continues to go well for you xx

Thank you so much, I am very lucky to be surrounded by people much more knowledgeable than I am and they have all been fantastic supports throughout this. I will keep the thread updated, hopefully with further positivity (fingers crossed!).

For today, he is back out into a small bit of the field I've sectioned off for him with his companion in a small section next door - vet didn't want them in together in case they went bananas running about but tbh I think he's so happy to see grass again not much is going to convince him to lift his head! ;) first hack out tomorrow which will be interesting - will definitely need an oh crap strap haha!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Took the boy for his first hack out yesterday and he was super! I put my instructor on him to test ride him lol, totally chickened out there. He rocked some fancy new acoustic ears which I think helped and he only had one spook at the neighbour's dog (who in fairness, is ENORMOUS and his bark literally reverberates through you). Day off today in the field then a walk round the school tomorrow which will be the first time I've sat on him in 2 months!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Quick update on this one - all going well so far, we have started teeny bits of trot in the school (only down the long sides) and so far, so good! Hacking is presenting more of a problem as it's like sitting on a little grey dragon currently - the exercise he's doing isn't really taking the edge of so he's a bundle of energy with nowhere to direct it so he's making his own entertainment at the moment. We are going to start lengthening the time he spends in the school/out hacking where possible (he is only doing 15 mins in the school and 30 mins on a hack) to try and start building him up and give him something to think about. Trouble is he hates being in the school and without being able to do circles etc it's very boring for him! Have started popping random poles down for him to walk over which he spent a lot of time snorting at last time (pony eating pole clearly lol).
Photo of the boy because he's looking amazing weight wise and I'm proud - he's lost about 70kg since Nov 2020 (when I got him!) :D one year anniversary of having him on Sunday! What a year lol >.<
In other news, he's also having a bridle and bit consultant come out on Sunday and am trying to book a saddle fitter too (my current one isn't picking up his phone!). Comfy pony project is in full swing :) Danny 2.jpg

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Update time!

Good stuff:
We have a beautiful new EvoEquine bridle which he most definitely prefers
Saddle was checked and reflocked, saddle fits, needed a smaller girth
Managed to hack out on him on my own without an instructor with me for two weekend days in a row for the first time since I've owned him (little devil lol)
He feels sound as a pound in trot!

Bad stuff:
He is stumbling in the front (left worse than right but on both sides). He had a very, very mild lameness in his right fore when he went for his lameness workup which was only seen when lunging on a hard surface. Normally wouldn't think too much of it BUT we have had a couple of almost-falls, one on the road, which have scared the living daylights out of me so now debating getting the vet involved again. Oddly, only happens in walk and only in the school - he's perfect on hacks.

HORSES!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Quick update, pony is back to Rossdales on Thursday for another lameness workup as his front leg issues have deteriorated. Honestly feel sick to my stomach with it all :(