Full liveries, do you treat the staff at Christmas?

Stella

Visit site
Just wondering what others do about such things. I usually have a couple of horsey folk I buy Christmas tokens of thanks for. This year my list has grown (just when I'm busy trying to save money - ho hum!). The Yard Manager and her partner go to great lengths to ensure everything that can be done, is done, to make Flora and I comfortable, the two full time staff are excellent, always helpful and foward thinking about their care of the horses. So I've bought each of them something (bottle of gin, gloves and a scarf and alcohol gift packs respectively). then there are the two weekend staff, who don't have as much to do, but are nice and I don't want them to feel neglected, so two mini alcohol gift packs there. Then there is my instructor who is fantastic (and I base that judgement on a sample of many), so hat, scarf and gloves set (for cold lessons). This on top of family and friend's may leave me skint, but it feels the right thing to do.

There are so many unhelpful, and sometimes down right nasty, people in horses, so I feel very fortunate to have this group
smile.gif

Where are you all on this?

TGM

Visit site
Not at livery anymore, but when I was I just bought a large box of biscuits or chocolates for the staff to share, rather than buying individual presents for everyone which can be difficult when there are part-time staff as well.

x_Hannah_x

Visit site
Im at the other end- my boss always gives out Christmas and Birthday bonus', shes fantastic like that (but then she isnt short of money by a long way.) Personally, if I had my horse on full livery then I would totally do what you do, depending on the people looking after my horse, a small token goes along way with good people
laugh.gif

Llwyncwn

Visit site
What a generous lady you are and its a lovely idea. Im sure it will be greatly appreciated especially this time of year when you have grumpy ungracious horses and owners. I normally buy all the liveries an alcoholic gesture and something for the kids to say thankyou for doing business with me.

amage

Visit site
yes always. though i am quite close friends with one of the girls and one of the jockies in the yard is my closest and best friend!!

RachelB

Visit site
Aww you are nice, can you come and be my livery??!
As a full livery groom, I'd love it if someone did that. I'd do it if I was a full livery - I'm planning on taking some mince pies and some choc up before Xmas to share between the staff at work. I probably wouldn't do indicidual presents though, just a general one for everyone to share!

Scarlett

Visit site
I always buy my YO something - usually a bottle of something nice and a big tin of biccies....

when i worked at the riding school over Xmas we got a lot of little pressies - it was lovely to be thought of like that and every was very much appreciated.

not_with_it

Visit site
when we had liveries on our yard (DIY) we used to buy each other pressies but there were only a few of us. We would always help each other out, one of them always used to feed me at shows
grin.gif
so it was my way of saying thanks. Theres only the YO and family to buy for this year.

Flossie06

Visit site
At my yard we're expected to tip the groom although last year she didn't thank anyone! Also expected to give presents to the farmer and his sister who own the yard.

Twiglet

Visit site
I don't have a choice - my groom tells me in about September that she doesn't want a present but is expecting money in her card come Chrimbo morning!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have full livery 2 days a week and assisted other days. I always get the YO and his wife a nice bottle of wine each to say thanks as they look after them as if they were their own and I can relax knowing that anything will be done if they need it.

icestationzebra

Visit site
That is a really nice thing to do. When I worked with horses and our liveries bought little gifts at Xmas for the girls it was really appreciated. They work long hours, are out in this horrible weather every day and won't be getting paid much money. Knowing that you appreciate them and have thought about them will make all the difference.

DressageChick

Visit site
My yard is owned by two fantastic people and they do all the work themselves. This year we (6 liveries) are clubbing together to get them each a jacket with the name of the yard on it so they can promote the stud when they are out and about!.

truffles

Visit site
I am still getting to know my livery yard and all the people on it - but I will deffo be getting my groom something nice - she has been a complete star!
laugh.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
As mistletoe mentioned, I usually buy the grooms a big box of choccies or biscuits to share out between themselves. I cant really afford to buy them all something individually and aside from practical horse things, I dont know them on a personal level to appreciate what they'd like!

I am buying seperatly for the YO as she is generally the one who goes out of her way to ensure everything is well (and has checked on my horse hourly through the night when he wasnt so well).

It does become really expensive, but thankfully, all our staff are chocoholics so its quite easy to appease them
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
What an appreciative owner you are
smile.gif
I'm sure your presents will be appreciated. I would do the same in your shoes.
I've worked on some yards where you didn't even get a Thankyou, racing yards where owners either ignored you or slipped you cash, and at one event yard one of "my" horses had his own bank account and always sent me flowers and champagne for Christmas and Birthdays
smile.gif
It may not change the way you work but it does make you feel appreciated.