Full livery - does what I want exist?

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I previously have had horses on DIY, it was a long time ago and I was single, broke and energetic. After a break from horses of over 15 yrs I own a gelding. I also work full time and can afford to pay someone else to be energetic on my behalf with mucking out etc so I can enjoy the finer points of horse ownership.

My confusion is that “full” livery expect me to turn up, groom, ride and go away. Most YOs I have spoken with find it strange (at best) that I want to see my boy more than once a day when I can, i.e. at weekends. They also find it strange that I will clear up a poo if my horse does it and that I’m not adverse to wielding a broom to ensure that I keep the place tidy. Some YO I have spoken to go so far as to make it clear this isn’t their idea of acceptable.

Essentially I want all care provided, which I’m willing to pay a lot for but the freedom to do what I please with my horse and, within reason, turn up when I want to e g between 8am and never later than 7pm. I also feel that I will not just automatically trust someone I’ve only just met with the care of my horse without them proving to be capable.

Am I expecting too much and if so why?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I can see that full livery only yards aimed for a certain type of client may be uncomfortable with that. Many years ago I worked for a livery yard attached to a boarding school and we actively discouraged owners from doing anything other than ride, even though the owners (which included teachers as well as pupils) often cared for their horses entirely outside school term. It was just the way we were set up and organised the work.

Maybe look for a yard that offers part / assisted DIY as well as full, they will be more used to owners getting involved?

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Thank you FF, I agree with your definition but every yard around here appears to call it full livery and therefore they think I’m weird (or rude) if I turn up every day/ twice a day whether I’m riding or not. Every time I call it part livery, i get corrected and I’m told I’m talking about full livery. I’m so confused. ��

McFluff

Visit site
My ‘full’ livery is as you describe - I’d probably call it part livery though (yard describes as full). Good luck in your search.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Round here that would be part livery. E.g., feed, turnout and bring in, muck out, haynets etc.
You do grooming and riding and supply supplements.

Hope you find what you want :)

Here too that is part livery not full as full would be everything including riding and tack cleaning and hour grooming.

MY Parts sometimes come up twice if riding in early morning, might decide to come back. There is no restriction how many times they come once a week or once a day, and every stable has a poo bucket so if an owner want to skip out when they come up they can, and I empty them in the am.

This explains it but I still stand by full is full, as I cant see personally, that a service can be called full when the owner is cleaning tack, exercising themselves and grooming.

Last edited:

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I suspect there is an element of control involved as I do under it is easier to organise a yard without liveries cluttering the place up! I have worked on yards so I do tend to tidy, sweep and make good as I go. Perhaps more than once a day and as well as riding ! I was shocked when another livery rode and then left horse to be turned out by the yard on a nice sunny day (if anyone can remember what those are like) . I like turning my horse out so just get on with it. No one seems to offer part or even assisted- everything appears to be advertised as full or diy, although as mentioned above “full”doesn’t incl riding, grooming etc.

Last edited:

Theocat

Visit site
I've always been on part, and have always mucked out / done all my other jobs whenever I fancied it. On occasion i've got stuck in mucking out other boxes as well / helping with everything else, and I think I'm the only person in the history of tine to sweep the tack room. None of my YOs have been remotely upset :p

I can, though, see it would be more difficult on a yard that does part (full) and nothing else, because they'll have routines and standards and will want things done a particular way.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I do part livery (everything but exercise, grooming and tack cleaning) and place no restrictions on my lliveries. I used to feel bad if they mucked out as I felt I had to knock money off their bill. But over the years I have learned that sometimes owners really just want to muck out. It's good exercise and theraputic and so if they want to do it then I let lem get on with it and thank them for their help.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I spent a winter on part livery and I really didn't like it - although initially the break was nice. They seemed baffled by my desire to ride them even if it was rubbish weather - despite the fact they had been stuck in all day (which was ultimately one of the main reasons I left - misdescribed turnout), and generally acted as though it was an inconvenience to actually have owners who wanted to work their own horses.

If I needed help now, I'd employ a freelancer to do the mucking out / donkey work, while I control the rest (feed, turnout, bedding, forage). You lose out on reliability / back up if they're ill or whatever, but I'd rather deal with that than full livery yards.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My younger horse is on a yard that provides what you would like! He is on schooling i.e. full livery - I cannot ride him myself due to arthritis but like doing whatever I can with him. The yard isn't huge and is family-run so any help is appreciated as everyone is always busy. His livery includes everything but the yard really does cater for each horse as an individual so he lives out 24/7 with a pony companion and they have re-arranged their fencing especially to give them a big paddock and field shelter for the winter. A stable is kept in reserve for my lad though. I go there around 5 times each week (it is a 40 minute drive away) and today brought my pony in, groomed him, tacked him up and watched him being schooled and discussed his progress, untacked, fed, rugged-up and turned him out. I tidied up the stable where he had been. His rider and the YO understand that I want to be involved and let me pootle round and get on with it while they are busy with other things. They were perhaps slightly suprised when I poo-picked his field the first time but have never once complained - I only do this in nice weather though! I know that if I cannot get there he will be cared for in exactly the same way so I could just pay the bill and turn up in 3 months time and find a well cared for, happy and excellently schooled pony.

wiglet

Visit site
What you want does exist!
I’m on full livery - includes everything except riding and tack cleaning. Work permitting, I go up twice a day - I usually ride in the morning then I go back in the evening to give my girl a bit more fuss :)

While I’m there I usually skip out any poo, give her a little extra haylage and sweep outside her stable. I don’t have to of course and if I didn’t, the grooms would do it for me but, I like being hands on. I have full livery because Work means sometimes I can’t be there.

YO is fine with me being there whenever I want and always makes me welcome. Keep looking - the right yard will be out there!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It doesn't really matter what you want to call the type of livery you want. Just speak to the YO & say what you want. They will advise you about what they can do for you & give you a price for it. You need to be accurate regarding what you want them to do & what you want to do, that way both parties are happy.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think the issue is not so much you doing the odd chore, but the turning up whenever you want - it could potentially be disruptive to the yard and horses routine.

The key is communication.

Last edited:

Theocat

Visit site
Just a thought, but do make it clear you won’t be asking for a reduction in the bill - if you aren’t clear about that it might put them off!

chaps89

Visit site
In my experience there are 2 types of yard that offer part/full livery. The first type being where everything is done for the client (owner) and they literally turn up to ride, horse will be ready for them and put away after etc. Second type being where the yard doing basic care - bringing in/turning out and mucking out and maybe grooming or exercising but the owner can do the rest. You are perhaps on the former type of yard but need to find the latter? My share horse is on part livery (everything done apart from grooming and exercise). On the yard I've noticed the other part livery owners seem to be split into 2 groups - those who just leave the yard to it and see their horse occasionally/when they want to ride and expect the horse in when they ask, and those who go up daily regardless and groom, skip out, bring in or turnout if they're there at the right time or want the horse in or out at a time that isn't the usual bring in or turn out time. The yard seem fine with either approach.
I guess it's just about chatting with the YO, and maybe looking elsewhere having that conversation before you move if needsbe.

Auslander

Visit site
My liveries can do what they want - I never have an issue with them doing yard work if they want to, and I actively encourage people to tidy up after themselves and their horses (I get very grumpy if they make a mess and leave it for me to deal with). They all have a contract which lays out exactly what I do for each livery package, and I provide the stated services as per the contract. If they want to come 6 times a day, and do stuff on the yard, that's fine. I've got several full liveries who do morning feeds for me occasionally, so that I can have a lie-in.
I do quite a lot of over and above stuff for them, so it balances out over the course of a year.

ihatework

Visit site
When my horses were on full/part I’d be like you OP. I’d often go up twice a day, sometimes skip out etc. There are plenty of yards out there that don’t mind it.
I’d always say to yard owner when looking around a new yard that I was quite an involved owner and not to take any offence!

From a yard point of view I think there are a couple of aspects to consider
1) they might feel that you don’t trust them or don’t think they are doing a good enough job. You just need to make it clear it’s not them it’s you!
2) keep in mind yard routine and make sure your involvement keeps in line with that.

claracanter

Visit site
I think what you describe is available, but often yards have their own definition of what part or full livery are. Mine are on a part livery which involves all duties being done by the YM in the week and at the weekend I do the mucking out, getting feed and hay ready and bringing in in winter. In summer horses live out 24/7.
I ride most days and will bring in at the end of the day etc. if it coincides with when I am there.

mairiwick

Visit site
I'm currently on full lviery - which is actually effectively 5 day full livery and DIY at the weekends. I've been on 'full livery' at four different yards and the definition of what is included does differ at each yard.

Ours is a pretty good system though, they're happy to have you up as often as you like provided it's not very early or very late. There is a diary you can write in if you want your horse left in so you can come and ride in the morning/brought in at a certain time if you want to ride later, or text the yard owner and she will make sure it's communicated to whoever is working at the time. I'm not ever that organised so I'll usually pop up unannounced and get her and sort her myself.

I've worked on a yard where we had a lady that paid for 7 day full livery but did her old boy completely DIY - she just really wanted to have him on our yard but didn't want/need any help. We thought it was a little bizarre but in a nice way - she was lovely and really if that's what kept her happy it wasn't any skin off our nose!

HeyMich

Visit site
What you want does exist - it is exactly what I have at the yard I am at! Whereabouts in the country are you? We're in Central Scotland, and the 'full' livery packages here are obviously quite different to elsewhere in the UK.

We have turn out, bring in, feed, muck out, shavings and haylage included. Also holding for farrier/vet too, if needs be. At weekends we muck out our own stables, but turn out/bring in is still done for us. Everything else - grooming, riding, tack cleaning etc - is our job! If we want to visit/ride/muck out 7 days a week we can, if we can't make it over all week, then that's fine too. It's a small, family yard, and the YO is always there for help, support and friendly chat. (I'm just realising actually, as I type this, how awesome it is!)

Keep looking and I'm sure you'll find the right balance. Explain to the YO exactly what you want, and I'm sure they will let you know up front if it's possible at their yards. Communication and flexibility is the key I think!

DappleDown

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies but perhaps it might be best to ask for each yard's Full Livery and Part Livery details - and yard rules - so you can see which option/yard suits your needs best. They all differ.

Good luck.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
My boy is on part livery (everything covered bar grooming, exercise and tack) and it's exactly as you describe. The yard is open from 7am - 9pm and I've never had any issues with my comings and goings. I'm there most nights mon-fri and am usually on my own so will skip and hay my boy before I leave to save the girls a job. If he's out when I'm there on a weekend/rare WFH day I'll bring him (and others if necessary) in, likewise if he's due to be turned out after I will put TO rugs/boots on and turnout. I've never felt like an inconvenience or that I can't go see my horse when I want to, but then again I know I'm lucky to be on such a lovely yard so appreciate it's not the same everywhere.

SO1

Visit site
My pony is on part livery so everything except grooming and exercising and you can come to the yard as much or as little as you please and whenever you want during the opening hours, you could hang around all day if you choose to. People can help as little as or much as they want.

I have had a chest infection for the last two weeks so have not been up at the yard very much at all but normally I go there about 4 times a week more if I am on holiday. If I am there at catch in time I catch my pony in myself and if I am there at hay and dinner time I like to give him his hay and his dinner and skip him out.

I think perhaps you make it clear that you enjoying coming to the yard and helping when you can but that you don't expect any discount on prices for doing so. As long as you are not making a mess or distracting people who are working, then I don't think many places would mind.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has responded. The knowledge that I’m not alone is great! The responses about when I speak about part/fulllivery is helpful, although many are calling it full I have amended my requests to specify “everything bar riding”! Also I’m just going to avoid any yard that talks about “opening times”. I understand that some want to have a control on what time they have people around but not being allowed to the yard before 8am is not acceptable to me so I shall just keep looking. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes doing the chores! My current yard is very small and they are fine with me and my ways but I may have to leave due to them relocating and it’s a shock talking to some new yard owners. Also my current liveries are very hands off so I was starting to think I was a weirdo that would never find a new home! �� two yards to view today. We’ll see what concerns those throw up. ��

baran

Visit site
I think the issue is not so much you doing the odd chore, but the turning up whenever you want - it could potentially be disruptive to the yard and horses routine.

The key is communication.

I do agree with this. Would you be happy if someone randomly turned up at your place of work and started doing bits of your job?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has responded. The knowledge that I’m not alone is great! The responses about when I speak about part/fulllivery is helpful, although many are calling it full I have amended my requests to specify “everything bar riding”! Also I’m just going to avoid any yard that talks about “opening times”. I understand that some want to have a control on what time they have people around but not being allowed to the yard before 8am is not acceptable to me so I shall just keep looking. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes doing the chores! My current yard is very small and they are fine with me and my ways but I may have to leave due to them relocating and it’s a shock talking to some new yard owners. Also my current liveries are very hands off so I was starting to think I was a weirdo that would never find a new home! �� two yards to view today. We’ll see what concerns those throw up. ��

I think it is perfectly reasonable to have opening times if the yard is predominently full/part livery. My opening times are 8.30am - 9pm. Nothing worse than people on the yard whilst you are feeding and turning out as the horses get upset. They all have the same routine here and their owners want that. It is partly why they chose the yard. I also don't give the second feeds until 9.30pm. This avoids the problem of owners wanting to ride at or just after feed time and having to hold back just their horse's feed. All the owners know that they can turn up at any time within the opening times as many times a day as they wish. I don't mind if they want to do chores either. But opening times are very important for the smooth running of the yard and for the welfare of the horses.

ETA: Owners can come to the yard outside those opening hours by prior arrangement. For example if they have a competition and need to prepare early or arrive back late.

Last edited:

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
THat makes sense Wagtail and those hours are reasonable. The one I spoke to has no exceptions, which is fine if you never compete! I like that the feeds don’t interfere with riding time as well.

millitiger

Visit site
I've been on full livery at 3 or 4 yards over the years and none have had issue with me turning up every day or twice a day and pottering around with my horse.
As long as it doesn't affect feed or turnout times, I'd struggle why it would be a problem.