Full Livery - how much time do you spend with your horse?

doolally_tap

Visit site
First post here - so I'm a little nervous
crazy.gif

I'm a mum of two who has only just gone back to riding in the last nine months after a decade out of the saddle (apart from a few plods on holidays, etc). I am now seriously thinking about getting a horse - it's a lifelong dream which is as yet unfulfilled and I'm only gonna get one life, if I don't do it now then when will I, blah, blah, blah.

The only possible way I can do it is by having a horse at full livery. My husband leaves early for work and I have the school run before starting work myself. I work full time 9.30 till 5.30. DIY is not an option, though I dearly wish it were.

I have Wednesday's and Sunday's off work. My intention is to spend most of Wednesday with my horse and Sunday morning (need to leave Sunday afternoon to spend some time with my husband and kids!!), also I would be going as 2/3 evenings per week, either for a short ride or just to spend time with my horse.

Is this enough?

For those of you who also have your horses in full livery a few Q's:

How often and for how long do you get to see your horse?

Do you find you can bond with your horse in the same way as if you were doing him yourself?

Does anybody here do a Working Livery (stabled at a riding school where they get to use your horse for an allocated amount of time per week)?

It's all very daunting stuff for me, and I have a feeling I'll be flagging up a few posts on here over the coming months.

Judie

Visit site
Firstly Doolally-tap - welcome to the forum! Don't be nervous we don't bite
grin.gif

When you use the term 'full livery' do you mean some one doing all the mucking out and the riding for you?

If I were you, as you can ride 2/3 evenings and Wednesday and Sundays I would go for part livery, this is where you pay for all your mucking out to be done, your turnout in the morning and bringing in again at night but you do all the riding, tack cleaning etc, this will vary from around £50-£80 p/w depending on the facilities you have and the area etc. You will be doing enough with the 4/5 days you can ride so you don't really need to pay for some one else to ride him/her for you, if you do the price will go up to about £100+ per week.

As you will be doing the riding you will be the one bonding with him, horses don't really care who mucks them out as they are normally out in the field munching! Yes the person turning him/her out and changing rugs etc will have a bond but they need to have to ensure they know when your horse is off colour so it's not a bond to be jealous of, you'll still be the one who grooms them, messes about with them, rides them etc etc.

Don't be daunted by it all I've seen lots of mums returning to the saddle after a long break, you'll be up to speed in no time at all, but pick your yard wisely, other good honest liveries can make the whole experience great fun!

Good luck.

doolally_tap

Visit site
The yard I am thinking of using seems really reasonable in terms of price and what you get.

Full livery would be £60/week which would include feed, haylage, all care of the horse as well as exercising. It also inlcudes free use of the indoor school when it isn't being used for lessons.

The yard may also offer working livery depending on the horse I get, where they use the horse to give lessons on in the indoor school only (no hacking). As I'm not too ambitious about my choice of horse, and only need a sensible well-mannered hacking/schooling horse it would probably fit the bill for this - and I would get a reduction in my livery bill depending on how many sessions a week they used the horse for.

I think they also offer part livery but am unsure of what this includes so haven't asked. Not sure if part livery would work for me, as there may be some occasions when I simply can't get to my horse and I need someone to have responsibility for it. Does part livery include the cost of feed and haylage?

I'm getting all the practical side of things sorted out before I even begin to look for a suitable horse - I'm really looking forward to it, just hoping then when it happens I can find a balance between home, work, children, husband and horse!!!

Twiglet

Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum!

That is an excellent price for full livery - what are their facilities like?
I doubt part livery would include feed and haylege - although they may supply it to you at cost if they're buying it in anyway?

Mine is on Mon-Fri full livery (well, DIY yard, but full livery from freelance groom), as I work long hours and can never guarantee I'll get away from work on time to do him myself.

However, at the weekends I do try and spend as much time as possible with him, and also 3-4 evenings in the week. I normally ride two evenings a week, and both weekend days.

I wouldn't be able to have a horse any other way, and whilst it's not ideal, it means I really do appreciate the time I do spend with him.

Good luck with your search for new ned!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I agree with TOG, though it may take a bit longer then if you were there every day your horse will soon bond with and realise you are 'mummy'! And enjoy your visits as the time it gets special one to one attention that it won't get from the yard hands, atleast not in the same way as they'll be busy and have other things to do. Plenty of people keep horses this way and generally thehorses are very relaxed and happy about it.

If you went for working livery this can also be good, some horses suit it, others don't, but again they would enjoy their time with you more as they'd get special one to one attention and fussing over, and probably do more fun/interesting stuff than they do in the school. If you were only going down a few times a week the yard manager would probably be happy to let you book out your horse for those times, knowing they could useit during the rest of the week.

ginnyspinner

Visit site
That is a very good price for full livery. Our yard which has good school, excellent hacking, sand gallops and all year turnout charges £100 per week in winter for full ridden livery (5 days riding). It includes everything, feed, haylage, shavings etc and plaiting for hunting too.
I am paying £55 per week now for part-livery, mare is out at night and in from the flies during the day. Includes hard feed, hay, shavings, turnout/catch in etc. It also means I do not have to be there every day (tho usually am).
In the past I have always done DIY livery. The downside of part/full livery is that your horse is never done exactly as you would do them! However, you get a lie in when you want, and when family demands require you to be at home, you do not need to get stressed/worried that horsey is stood at the gate waiting.
I don't think I could bear to have my horse on working livery though, the thought of all those different people riding my horse would kill me!!
It is a fine line I find - I work nights, predominantly so I have more days off to be with horse and daughter. But it is difficult at times and can be a bit of a balancing act!! It really helps if OH is supportive (mine is) and if you have good time management skills (I do).
Good luck with finding a horse - I am sure you will manage to balance home, work, kids, hubby! It is really worth the effort.

doolally_tap

Visit site
Thanks for your replies - you've given me lots of new info to think about. I hadn't even considered doing a different type of livery in summer to winter, though I can see it definately makes sense.

It's gonna be a steep learning curve for me - get ready for lots of shouts for help!!

xxxxx

merlinsquest

Visit site
Go for it, however you have to work it..... I took it all up again after a huge break.... my kids wanted a pony, which they got, and then they gradually lost interest. I on the othe hand got keener and while I didnt enjoy riding their 13hh pony, I do now enjoy his replacement!!!

I do assisted DIY with the option to get the yard manager to look after him if work goes a bit hectic at a set amount per day!!

Good luck and go for it, you are a long time dead, let alone old!!!

truffles

Visit site
My current first horse is kept on full livery. I see her Sat and Sun, and that is fine. (although some people think it isn't, but I am dedicated enough to spend 1 1/2 hrs travelling by train bus and walking to get there, so I think it is - also it is impossible for me to go during the week, because of school etc...also it is a v. dodgy journey, and have had some iffy encounters - small part of the reason as to why I am moving - I know it happens everywhere, but has just made me SO nervous)

On saturdays I go up for nearly all of the day.
Sundays I spend less time there, but mum mucks in and helps so I can spend more time with Chloe (and I'm SO grateful to her!)

Because she is my first horse, I don't whether you bond quicker on DIY livery. To me it would seem logical, but me and Chloe have grown on each other - especially her on me. She was no where near my 'dream first horse' but, thanks to the experienced people surrounding me I got brilliant advice, lessons, and we have come on a fair bit I think
laugh.gif
IMO there is no reason why full/part liveries can have less of a bond than if they were on DIY - yes I guess it would take longer though, but I'm so glad I did not give up with Chloe when I first got her - it's very, very rewarding when you begin to get there.
Full livery has it's advantages - You can probably get lessons on site at most full livery yards, lots of people surrounding you to help. usually has better facilities than yards that just do DIY, although I think it can vary hugely.

Working livery works for some I think. You can get people excercising you horse for you on full livery at nearly all yards, and personally prefer that to having possible novicey/beginner people on my horse who I don't know. I am by no means good, I just like it if she is being ridden by someone else, that they are doing a good job of it. At some riding schools I have been to, some owners are able to state what level of rider they want on their horse etc....

it works for some but not for others.
smile.gif
Good luck, and if you need to ask anymore questions, ask away.
smile.gif
I found it positively terrifying moving to a first yard, let alone bringing a new horse with me!!! but thats where the brilliance of full livery yards come in....there is always someone there to help etc...and I settled in surprisingly quickly!! Have made some brilliant friends at my yard who I will miss lots when I leave too.

Best of Luck, I have visited a few full/part livery yards in Surrey and my current yard is in N. London, but you may be in a completely different area as to where those yards are! But PM if you want to know more
smile.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Full livery would be £60/week which would include feed, haylage, all care of the horse as well as exercising. It also inlcudes free use of the indoor school when it isn't being used for lessons

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG....where ARE you!?!?!?! that is a flipping good price
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Ive just moved my mare to full livery (not out of choice mind you - there was no DIY yards around) and she is fully cared for, mucked out etc and haylage/feed/shavings included for £100wk. I go up every evening to ride apart from Mondays and often compete at weekends
smile.gif
We still seem to have the same bond as we did and she still neighs when she sees me
smile.gif

I do sometimes miss doing it all myself, espec at weekends, but on the other hand its nice to get there and shes all clean and waiting for me - I can then spend more genuine time riding etc
smile.gif
Go for it, you'll be fine:)

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Just a thought - buy your horsey and keep him/her on full livery, but half share with someone else...with a contribution for your costs.
This works better than working livery as you only have one other person's riding style etc, and it can be really nice to have someone to 'share' your experiences with....and if you pick the right person, they'll love your horse as much as you will!
Do get a written contract though....
S :)

UKa

community.webshots.com
Hiya, great you want to get back to horses! I just wanted to say that I think that a livery arrangement works totally fine and you get to bond with your horse still even though perhaps DIY is the best way but not suitable in many cases. I used to have my girl stabled in London when I was in full time work and the journey took me min 1 hour by bus and train - those times she was on livery Mon-Fri I only had to come and exercise and weekends were all DIY - those days I spent one full day of the weekend at the yard as well as 2-3 evenings during the week and had a sharer for some of the other days. Although I am now on DIY (we moved away from the city) and would not miss it for the world (because I enjoy the mucking out and doing it all exactly my way, dont think horse knows that I am doing her stable every day ...) I think the livery option was still working very well and as you are with your horse regularly you will bond with him/her very well.
Good luck with it all, and with combining everything I am sure it will work out!!!
x

air78

www.ctwequine.com
I had my boy on full livery for the best part of a year. I still saw him pretty much everyday, but felt it was best for him to have a regular routine whilst I was working. It's nice not to worry about them, knowing someone is there to whip off his rug if it gets hot etc.
I think I have a good bond with him, and the livery didn't affect it.
Personly I wouldn't want my horse on working livery. I don't think it's great for them to have so many diffrent people rinding them (sometimes badly), and I think all that arena work can sour them. I would go for the sharer option.

doolally_tap

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Full livery would be £60/week which would include feed, haylage, all care of the horse as well as exercising. It also inlcudes free use of the indoor school when it isn't being used for lessons

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in North East England - North Tyneside.

As for the sharing idea - it's an idea that I having already been toying with - I was even considering buying the horse with a co-owner, however sharing seems a better idea (then the horse is all mine!!). How much can you expect a sharer to contribute?

Lozz1uk

Visit site
£60 pw - that would be amazing! I pay about £95 a week for what is called full livery (no riding).
When I first got her i had her on "part livery", i.e. they turned out and brought it and I did everything else. I've been too busy at work to do that recently but I save over the summer when she goes out 24hrs. The one thing i still do is give her her evening feed. It means that she doesn't just associate me with riding!

I've known a couple of people that tried working livery - not one had a good experience, you don't know who will be riding your horse and it only takes one bad experience to upset your horse.

Good luck with sorting it all out!

Stella

Visit site
2/3 evenings and time on Wednesdays and Sundays is plenty
smile.gif
After all if you could be there 7 days a week, rather than the 5 you plan, you might as well be on DIY.

I have had my mare for 3 years and she's always been on full livery. I get to the yard 4/5 times a week in the summer and about 3 in the winter. There are times when I can't get there for a week, but I know she will be cared for and have her routine maintained. This is after all the whole point of full livery. I love her dearly and she certainly knows that I'm her person - we have a great bond
smile.gif
This to me is confirmed by her reaction to being caught. She came to me with that being a major problem. Now she is difficult to catch by the staff unless its food time, but when I call her, she calls back and comes to the gate to meet me (makes me go all mushy just thinking about that!) Also, its very apparant that I know her better than anyone else and can predict her reactions etc.

I wouldn't fancy working livery. I'd worry about how she was being ridden when I wasn't there and whether they were using her more than the agreed number of hours. That said, I've heard some people say it works for them.

Welcome to the forum
smile.gif

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in North East England - North Tyneside.

As for the sharing idea - it's an idea that I having already been toying with - I was even considering buying the horse with a co-owner, however sharing seems a better idea (then the horse is all mine!!). How much can you expect a sharer to contribute?

[/ QUOTE ] I hadn't read all of the thread before I posted earlier! A lot of what is described as full livery in my area doesn't include riding and tack cleaning. Mine doesn't and if it did, I wouldn't be inclined to make regular use of the riding aspect as I'm never totally happy about others riding my horse (obsessional mum syndrome probably).

I'm also in the North East, but south of the tunnel
smile.gif

jen1

Visit site
Hi just wanted to say good luck! I am just like you have ridden most of my life firstly at riding school then shared a horse with my sister when I was a teenager. When she moved away she took the horse with her and i couldn't afford one of my own, had a long break but missed it so went back to riding schools, couldn't get on with the rigid 'rules' and riding a different horse each week and OH the agony of aching muscles only riding once a week!

Finally found out about sharing and had a couple of shares over several years then had my kids and that put paid to any riding for a long time. Had a very unhelpful and un understanding husband, he could understand passion for a sport if it was on 4 wheels not 4 legs!
Anyway 2 years ago I thought bu**er it and finally bought my first horse at the age of 41!! My kids were 6 and 7 and I could only afford DIY.

2 months after getting the horse I found that my husband had been having an affair and we separated! I couldn't part with my lovely horse though, I had waited so long for one of my own.

I now still manage to keep him at a DIY yard, work part time, sometimes full time if there's a lot of work on, have my 2 kids and somehow manage to do the horse! I am at a fantastic yard and have made some great friends, everyone is very supportive and we all help each other out. I will turn out and bring in and muck out most days and the days i can't my friend will do it and somehow we just manage to get by. If worst comes to worst and we are both working there are several other liveries who are always willing to help out, and the yard owner will do ad hoc jobs for a small fee if necessary.

I get to see my horse every day even if some days it's just to bring him in and give him his dinner. When the weather is bad the kids sit in the car with their gameboys while I do the jobs! I ride as much as I can or lunge and have started having a go at Parelli. I can't hack out when I have the kids with me but when they are at school and I am not working then I can spend ages with my horse! To be honest he really needs working every day but has daily turn out and doesn't seem to have suffered these last 2 years.

Ideally I would like a sharer but feel a bit protective towards my chap... still! Novelty hasn't worn off yet. I still go into tack shops and feed merchants and feel I now have a right to be there, I have my OWN horse! Sometimes I will stand in the stable and almost have to pinch myself that I really have him! God I sound like I am about 12!

Morale of all the above?? If you want something badly enough you will find the time and energy to fit it into your life! With all the C*&p going on with my divorce I can go to the yard have a good laugh, a chat and enjoy my time in the fresh air and with my dream of 40 years. I am going to do everything I can to keep my GG I won't give him up easily!!