Full Livery - How often do you visit

Andrew657

Visit site
Just curious having seen lots of comments about how often DIY liverys should /do check their horses.

Wondered what the thoughts are for full liveries

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I went every day except for one day where my Mum checked her for me.

I had what the yard called part livery which was full care but no riding, but some people call that 'full' so I thought I'd comment.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Twice a day atm as trying to work her in the morning - bit more light.

Am on full as in no yard jobs to do - use of all facilities - hard feed and forage - holding for farrier if needed etc. Use of 2 arenas - cross country course - gallop - walker & turnout all year - owners on site 24hrs.

It's technically part though as no exercise included.

I really like to feed turn out & bring in when I can - miss having horses at home ?

ihatework

Visit site
Depends what you mean by full.

When I’m on part livery (others call that full), then I’d go every day, even if not riding, unless I physically couldn’t due to work/holiday.

One of my horses is on proper full livery now. I would see him a minimum of once a week but more usually 3x

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Every evening unless I really can't get out of something and twice a day when off work (I do live very close to the yard which helps). . It is noticeable at my yard that the 'ex DIY' full liveries tend to be like this and those who own but have never done yard work come up a lot less frequently and then only ride.I think I'm still want the control and to feel like I'm looking after him, but without the hard work! I still pick up poos and fill haynets but only because I want to. It's hard to give (some of it) up because it's part of being a proper horse owner in my mind.

HeyMich

Visit site
I used to have my horse on 'full livery' but that didn't include riding or tack cleaning. I went every Fri, Sat and Sun, and through the week when I could after work in the summer months. In the winter, I had someone ride her for me once or twice a week in daylight hours.

BlackRider

Visit site
I always visited at least once a day.

(as some of the others have said my full livery didn't include exercise )

rainni_day

Visit site
This is interesting. My new mare is going on full livery, so that is everything except exercise. They will ad hoc exercise if required. I plan twice a week during the week, and both days at weekend as a minimum. Summer I expect more as I can only ride in the school during the winter due to time. My job is full on so I won't be able to get up until at least 6.30pm and the yard closes at 8pm so I am limited by that.

be positive

Visit site
I have had full livery owners come just about every day to others living away, sometimes out of the country, who may rarely see their horse, there are plenty of ways to keep in touch nowadays so even from Australia or South Africa, as two of my liveries were for several months at a time over a 12 month period, they can still 'see' their horse in action and maintain regular contact, both of those had a parent popping in here now and again who also had authority to act if there was an emergency.
It doesn't mean the owner is uncaring to have one on full livery, sometimes it is a necessity, one now works long shifts an hours drive away and would struggle to do the horse each day but has 3 full days every 10 that she comes twice a day so makes up for not seeing her a few times each week.

Abi90

Visit site
I normally go every day to ride or do something. Not been up this week as not supposed to be driving with a bad thumb

Andrew657

Visit site
Yes by full I meant without exercise.

I normally go up 3/4 times a week - usually to ride; although will still go as frequently if horse can't be ridden.

Will go up more if there's a specific need.

I would add that I have full trust in the yard.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I am on assisted DIY but if I were on Full Livery I think I would go up at least five days a week.

Although I occasionally put my horse on full day care in order to visit my elderly Mum in the evening after work I think I would miss seeing her if I was away more than once or twice a week. As you say trust is a big thing with me too, but I do trust where I am so in that respect it would be easier for me.

I can honestly say, even if I could afford full livery I don't think I would. Most of the pleasure from owning a horse comes from the mucking out - I do actually enjoy that sad as it sounds!

Kat

Visit site
I have full care but no exercise. I like and trust the people who look after her and the YO is on site and has authority to call the vet and make decisions if I cannot be contacted.

I still visit once a day most days. Mainly because I enjoy being with my horse and miss her if I don't see her. I don't worry if I can't make it though.

I have in the past not felt so confident about the care and would visit daily or arrange for a friend to check her.

If she's injured or unwell I will go twice a day to hand walk or do any treatment required.

I've been on this type of livery for most of the time I have owned her but have done DIY, part (mornings done only) and 5 day livery too.

rainni_day

Visit site
I do think it depends on your circumstances. One of the reasons I have full livery is because my job and my life just doesn't allow daily visits. I don't put any pressure on myself - I trust my livery and I will go when I can. Some peoples lives just don't allow that level of commitment.

wiglet

Visit site
I go up every day unless I'm away on business or on holiday. My yard is full livery only (not including riding unless you pay extra), some people go up once a week, others a few times a week - everyone has different reasons and circumstances that lead them to having full livery. The yard is very good and I do trust them.

SallyBatty

Visit site
I do think it depends on your circumstances. One of the reasons I have full livery is because my job and my life just doesn't allow daily visits. I don't put any pressure on myself - I trust my livery and I will go when I can. Some peoples lives just don't allow that level of commitment.

This is the same for me. A couple of years ago I would visit and ride most days but over the last year this has dwindled to just a couple of days a week owing to having to spend time with my elderly mother after I finish work practically every day and at weekends.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
If I had full livery I'd probably be up there once a day, 6 days a week to ride to be honest, its all the effing and jeffing jobs that take up more of my time so I'm left with no time to ride in the winter.

AandK

Visit site
I worked on a yard where full was proper full, including riding, grooming and tack cleaning. Part was all the care minus those three things. We had a range of owners; from a couple who had two on full livery who we very rarely saw (and they lived down the road from the yard), to some full liveries who would come at the weekend to visit, to part liveries who were up every day.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Full livery is about a grand a month these days...

For that I’d expect to be able to brag to all my darling friends that I have a horse and show them all nice photos of it at the conference party ball. If they require me to visit I shall be expecting a discount.

:D:D:D

My horse (a 14.2 cob :eek:) is on full livery including training/riding at a family run yard. I could have sent someone to boarding school for a similar cost! I've not been able to ride for the past two and a half years due to hip problems and now I've had a hip replacement I'm only just getting back in the saddle so full livery was a good option. I go up to the yard around 4 times a week as I really enjoy watching him being worked while I sit and have a lovely coffee and then spoil him with treats! Also I wanted to keep the connection with the little horse as I've known him since the day he was born so he is very special to me. I'm really happy to now do some poo picking and also bring him in/turn him out and groom and tack him up for his rider. None of this is necessary or expected but I hate to stand around like Lady Muck. The great joy is that I stopped riding when he was at a basic walk/trot/canter/leg yield stage but I've been able to watch him develop with a truly world class trainer. I've never put them under pressure to compete as he is definitely not what you would go out and buy as a dressage prospect. However, fortunately his rider is not at all 'cobbist' and last week they won both Medium and Advanced Medium classes :eek: and are working on passage/piaffe and canter pirouettes at home o_O. The yard does have owners who visit infrequently - one didn't see their horses for 6 months but they were perfectly looked after. I don't know if the owner showed nice photos of them at any conference though!!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Average 3 x a week in winter, and 4 x a week in summer. I have a sharer who goes up twice a week so he has two days off each week, and it works well for us. My work hours are unpredictable and I have a 2 hour round commute, so the earliest I get home is 7pm. My sharer has fixed days but I don't as I like to keep my YO on her toes - I've been on full livery for about three years now (prior to that was DIY for over 15 years) and it's really hard to find anyone who will look after your horse as well as you. My YO is fairly good but sometimes I'll notice his bed is minging despite me paying for extra shavings so I wonder if he's actually receiving them, little things like that. I hugely miss being on DIY (as does my body as I've put on at least a stone since going onto livery!) but my life doesn't allow it - I already feel like I'm never on top of things as it is!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Look why don’t we all club together and make a network of riding centre and tracks n liveries and riding networks etc... map ourselves out and propose new bridleways since the country want to stamp us all out. How can we do this and who can we approach to help?