Fuming... BIG RANT (or am I being unreasonable)!

_jetset_

Visit site
A lady on our yard (quite a novice owner) has just turned her mare out that has been on box rest for 3 weeks, with my mare who only has two and a half months left before she has her foal!

Hannah has been going out on her own for a few hours as she just mooches around and munches... but this horse went in and galloped up and down, up and down, up and down. Then full pelt at me and then at Hannah again.

Hannah started running around (our field is super wet and very slippy) and I saw <font color="red"> RED </font>. Managed to get her in, but could you imagine if she had slipped at this stage!

Am I being unreasonable and over protective? It is just a lot of time and money has gone into putting Hannah in foal... I would never forgive someone if they caused her to abort at this stage!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I think the lady was rather thoughtless to you and rather silly to risk her own horse like that, but if she's entitled to turn her horse out as and when she did, Then there's not much you can do about it. I DO understand your worries though; it would've been awful if something happened to Hannah!!. My yard is almost entirely populated by eejits who do stupid stuff that puts their horse and mine at risk. They drive me mad!!

harvgj19

Visit site
It was a bit of a silly and thoughtless thing to do. Especially if Hannah and her mare don't know each other well, or aren't normally turned out together.

Thankfully nothing bad happened, but it could have. Perhaps have a quiet word with her and say that you don't want Hannah over excited at this stage in her pregnancy, and ask her to let you know when she wants to turn her horse out, if there is no other place for her mare to go.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I don't blame you at all i'd feel the exact same way! I think she was very thoughtless although if shes pretty novicey then she might not have thought about it. But still, i would have been very angry as well.
mad.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
My mare will very soon have her own field... and I honestly don't mind other horses going in with her, in fact I think she likes the company. But never would I have dreamed putting my horse out with a pregnant horse if it had been on box rest for almost 3 weeks!

I have learned a lot over the past 8 months about mares in foal, but even last year before I had even considered it, I would never have even considered it with a mare in her last trimester. And if I did need to get mine out desperately, I would certainly ask the owner before I put mine out giving them the chance to bring in.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Cl_aire... I just feel so angry!

I have put a lot of time and effort into making sure everything has gone as smoothely as possible for Hannah, and if something had happened today because of one person's carelessness, I would never have forgiven her!

Even someone who knows nothing about horses (my Mum) could not believe someone had done that... she said from her own experience being pregnant she would guess that was not a good idea.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I would be very angry too, especially as I'm putting mine in foal next year.
But who turns a horse that has been on box rest straight out, with another horse? Surely they must of known it would of galloped around? Not only could she have damaged Hannah or caused problems with the foal, but she could of redamaged her horse.
This is why I don't do livery yards.

annaellie

Visit site
very stupid but if the owner is novice see might not of known any better some people do not have common sense. Very easy for me to say as I know if it would of been my mare regardless if she was novice I would be very angry as well

_jetset_

Visit site
It was the non-caring attitude which got to me more than anything... It never entered her head that Hannah could do some serious harm to herself or her foal! They can fall so easily in that field because it is absolutely drenched...

_jetset_

Visit site
No one... she decided to put her in the field herself. I did shout that I was going to bring Hannah in, but she shrugged her shoulders and carried on!

annaellie

Visit site
some people just do not care at all if it was me as i said i would be mad but as her being novice she said sorry i just did not think ill get my horse back in now I would feel it was a genuine lack of common sense but if she shrugged her shoulders i would be raving mad on top of the fact she was stupid to but a horse out

tara tee

Visit site
Is there any way your YO might allow your mare a small paddock to herself until she foals? I'm assuming that you are on a yard, but after she foals she will need a place of her own anyway.

Fiona

Visit site
I don't blame you for being annoyed. We are all (to a greater or lesser degree) protective of our precious horses for one reason or another ie I am worse about my 5yo than the others because she was off all summer with a bruised foot, and I would say that a mare in her last few months of gestation is in "high alert" category especially in a mixed livery yard.
Did she apologise afterwards, when she had seen the consequences ie both the horses charging about.
I didn't realise until recently that, unlike humans, premature foals do not notmally survive, so I can quite understand why you are so protective.
Fiona

MillionDollar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No one... she decided to put her in the field herself. I did shout that I was going to bring Hannah in, but she shrugged her shoulders and carried on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that really would annoy me! If i'd done something like that (not that im that stupid, lol
grin.gif
) i'd at least say i was really sorry and go get my horse in or help you get Hannah in, how unthoughtful and selfish! Grrrr

amandaco2

Visit site
no you arent being over portective you have every right to be mad!
know how you feel i has someone who brought a colt,and two mad 2 year olds to the yard when shantih was pregnant and i said can you put your own electric fencing between them so we have two high fences, she goes yeah.shes didnt her mad(they went out once a week) horses jumped over my fence breaking it and then went glloping round and round the field with my pregnant mare, doing flying bucks at her(and one had shoes on)
was i livid or what?!
the once the foal was born i had to put up with the YO bringing a cob who looked full of worms had no vaccinations and he was dumped in the yard so i couldnt get my two out their field without walking them past him(he was loose!)and she went mad when i put him either in the stable or the school because she said he got stressed out.(only whilei wanted to get my two in)he had shoes on, was a total nightmare to lead,broke through electric fencing when it was on.then i was forced to move them to the winter paddock where they had an unfenced pond and this pony was on the otehr side of my eletric fencing!and it had mites too.
total nightmare, i hope your YO is more supportive!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... I am still mad even now because Hannah has a slightly puffy fetlock and if looking a little stiff. I turned her out on her own this morning for an hour, but had to run up and bring her in because said owner turned up and I didn't want to lose my temper with them!