Funny Barefoot Feet

steffielu

Visit site
Hi all! My horse has had his shoes off now for about 3 months, and is coping really well, not sore at all even on gravel!
smile.gif

Initially I had them taken off as he couldn't be ridden due to a nasty abscess on his jaw. But I haven't had them put back on as he is coping just fine even out hacking (no roads, just miles of bridleways
smile.gif
smile.gif
)
However, his fronts have gone a bit of a funny shape, as in long toes on the inside, and shorter on the outside..
confused.gif
I think its because hes quite pigeon toed anyway.
I have been getting conflicting opinions from people at the yard, some say to leave them 'uneven' as they have worn down to his 'natural balance' and others say that I should get the farrier to even things up, because its putting strain on tendons/etc..??
Im really not sure, because at the moment with his ''wonky'' feet he is looking very sound, and moving much better then he seemed to with shoes on. Im worried if the farrier trims them, he'll end up getting footsore..?
But im also worried that if I leave them ill end doing unrepearble damage?!! What do people think? Quite interested to hear the views of other 'barefooters'!
grin.gif

frannieuk

Visit site
I don't have much experience of barefoot, apart from having both my girls shoes off over last winter. However, I still had my farrier come out every 7 weeks to check, and if necessary to trim. On severa occasions no trim was needed but I still wanted him to keep an eye on things - I would be tempted to get your farrier to look at your horse's feet just to check
smile.gif

steffielu

Visit site
Yes hes still coming to trim every 6 weeks, but to be honest im a bit wary of him, I dont think hes had much experience re 'barefoot trimming'. Also, should horses feet be trimmed differently if they're barefoot, or shod??
confused.gif
its all very confusing!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think hes had much experience re 'barefoot trimming'

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course he does - it's no different to trimming and rasping prior to having a shoe put on!!

clipertyplop

Visit site
too be honest im not a great fan of barefooting but if it the way you want to go good luck....but dont do it because its the cheeper option...farriers trim the hoof to accomadate a shoe which is not suitable for barefooting....investigate to see if you have a barefoot trimmer in your area.....
smile.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
If you want to get ripped off go use a barefoot trimmer - alternatively you can use a farrier who has been trained for 4 years. However if your horse is being trimmed reguarly as you say and he has wonky feet I would swap farriers.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

Of course he does - it's no different to trimming and rasping prior to having a shoe put on!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's very different. A paddock trim done by most farriers is just the same trim they'd do to prepare the foot for a shoe. A barefoot trim will slowly aid the hoof in returning to working in a natural way.

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
if your not happy with your farrier try asking a trusted friend for there farriers number? I dont know where i would be without my farrier he is fantastic and i trust everything he says.

But to be fair my old farrier trashed my horses feet, so i knwo your worry!!

steffielu

Visit site
Hmm..yes i am a bit suspicious of these barefoot natural trimming people to be honest. But I think its more that his feet have worn down on the outside, because of his pigeon toe-ness. They go like it even after the farrier has trimmed them.
Have they gone like that because its offering more support?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's perfectly natural for the hoof to 'wear' in a certain way when the horse has no shoes on - an in the vast majority of cases the wear may be somewhat uneven. This could be due to way the horse puts it's foot down, as well as the sort of terain that it is turned out in and also ridden on.

My horse has no shoes on - and hasn't for over a year now, although she is not ridden. She is trimmed regularly but her feet do wear in a particular way. Like yours she is a little pigeon toed, and this does affect the wearing pattern on one particular foot.

Speak to your farrier about it next time and get him to explain how the unshod foot works and balances itself naturally through wear. Also ask him to talk you through how your horse places its feets when it moves so that you also get a better understanding of it's movement and mobility and how being shod or unshod may affect this.

dieseldog

Visit site
Perhaps he needs trimming more reguarly because of his confirmation?

They would wear more on the outside because he's putting more weight on that side for whatever reason

Happytohack

Visit site
Barefoot trimming for a horse that is being ridden is different to trimming a horse that is just turned out in a field for instance. If I wanted to go barefoot and still ride the horse, my farrier would be the one I would talk to - he has trained for at least 4 years as already posted. I recently had shoes taken off our retired horse and he has trimmed his feet and bevelled them to prevent the hoof wall from cracking. Some of the barefoot trimmers around will charge you £45.00 and want to come out every couple of weeks to start with! Ask your farrier!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have been without shoes for several years. I found general foot health (thrush, circulation etc) to be vastly improved by not using shoes.

When the ground is very hard and rutted, I do put Cairo's back on for a couple of months as they help with his low ringbone and his feet do break up a little - he is a very large horse(clydie) and our bridleways are often very rutted and hard. I have left the gypsy cobs without shoes no problem as they have very tough feet and are lighter.

I get mine trimmed every 7 - 8 weeks by my farrier. Mine are in light work and do really well without shoes. I do some roadwork, but no more than a mile or so and not every week, but we do have hard concrete like bridleways in the summer.

brightmount

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the barefoot trimmers around will charge you £45.00 and want to come out every couple of weeks to start with! Ask your farrier!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's correct that I pay my Equine Podiatrist £45, but this is every 5 weeks. I pay my farrier £60 every 6 weeks for the other horse, so the barefoot one is cheaper.

And it's true an EP might want to do an interim check and tidy up between trims, but mine usually charges nothing for it.

I know there are some cynics about Equine Podiatrists, and there are some methods that could justify it, but I have had an EP trained by KC LaPierre trim my horse since February, when she was on the scrap heap, and he has brought her back. I have never seen such a level of knowledge of hoof structure from any other professional I have dealt with - vets included.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello. I am glad you asked this becuase i have been wondering the very same thing. I have two horses now barefoot due to lack of reliable farrier and they both wear their feet 'wonky'. I have had one farrier leave thier feet 'wonky' and two farrier's say they need to be balanced and level them up !!!. Sorry not much help but am interested in the replies.